Quadravox footswitch question

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Quadravox footswitch question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Hi, im about to purchase an h9 to use with my bass and the ehx superego pedal. I want to use it with the quadravox algorithm so i can have a 5 part harmony.
      I also want to be able to switch the scale in the middle of the song for example if im playing a song on a minor y want to be able to switch it to harmonic minor with the press of a switch, i would like it to be a latching switch and also i would like to use the expression pedal as a volume control.
      Can somebody help me what should i purchase or if i can do this with the h9 switches?

camn
      Participant
      danielperaltav wrote:
      Hi, im about to purchase an h9 to use with my bass and the ehx superego pedal. I want to use it with the quadravox algorithm so i can have a 5 part harmony. I also want to be able to switch the scale in the middle of the song for example if im playing a song on a minor y want to be able to switch it to harmonic minor with the press of a switch, i would like it to be a latching switch and also i would like to use the expression pedal as a volume control. Can somebody help me what should i purchase or if i can do this with the h9 switches?

You can do it easily. 

I would just create a sting of presets with the different keys- and just switch to the next patch. YOU can do it using the onboard buttons, or a separate aux switch x 1. .. or with MIDI.  You get 99 preset slots.. so you wont run out.

Thanx for your response. Thats exactly what i dont want to do. Since most of the time ill be using the superego as a sustain pedal like a regular keyboard so i want to press one switch instead of going back and forth with the up and down switchs. The manual mentions something about this but its very confusing.
      The ideal situation would be a switch that i can press and the scale at the same time with the super ego and when i depress it it would go back to the original scale.

camn
      Participant

So you might be talking about the LEARN function.. which I don’t use.. but I think it is an Aux switch function. You push it, and it flips the ROOT of the key to whatever you are playing right then. I will try it next time I think of it.. but I don’t remember it being that reliable ON GUITAR. It may well be better with keys…. and I am unclear if I can change MODES (maj–>minor) or just Root Notes.

Now..although you said you didnt want to..using different patches really would be the most elegant way if your changes are pre-planned

. You can just use a single button by pre-planning your patch changes and laying them in a row. No need to go back down… you just duplicate your patches in one direction. So one touch, and you are in a different, previously designated key/mode. . . just like you want.

Of course.. if duplicate patches offends ones OCD… with a MIDI pedal like a Disaster area DMC, you would have one-touch patch changes up AND down, leaving your Aux switch free for the Performance Switch function. And the performance switch IS awesome.. so it may be worth it. And the switching is really seamless if you don’t change pre/post function. 

Thanx for your response. Is not that my ocd is gonna get offended but planing ahead is not an option for the bands that i play. Lets say im have to play hotel california. My plan was to switch between minor and mayor keys with one switch right next to the superego so i can press both of them at the same time. I wasnt talking about the learn function but i dont think im gonna be able to do that with my setup.

camn
      Participant

Well- I don’t totally get it.. but I tried some things out.

You can ALMOST get there with a DMC3. I can get it to flip from Major to HUNGARIAN within a preset with one touch. But not Major to minor. 

If you have a more finely programmable midi switch you could do it.. the DMC just doesnt have that fine level of detail. I can do it with my Arturia midi controller…, it just isnt a footswitch.

You just need to be able to send a MIDI CC and define the value freely from 0-127.  I am sure that there are MIDI controllers that totally do this.. I just don’t know which off the top of my head.

–though, I promise you, using separate patches would be easy and transparent 😉 

brock
        Participant
        camn wrote:
        … You can ALMOST get there with a DMC3. I can get it to flip from Major to HUNGARIAN within a preset with one touch. But not Major to minor….

Try tweaking the MIDI CC value range on the receiving end (in the H9 Control app).  I just send a full 0-127 switch action to Parameter 8, which would be SCALE in the QuadraVox algorithm.  I kept the Parameter Range Start point at 0, and reduced the End point to ~10.  Maj to min scale switch.  You have to experiment with the Start & End values, as they have a mismatched range of 0-100.

There are at least 4-5 main ways to switch parameters like this, along with combined variations.  MIDI being the most versatile, and also more complicated.  I have all the MIDI CC value ranges for KEY & SCALE posted here on the forum.  Hell, with a MIDI ‘board relay switch – and a hack / mod to the SuperEgo – it’s even possible to freeze the SuperEgo & change KEY / SCALE from the same MIDI switch.

Direct Aux switching will work, but those Parameter 1-10 settings translate differently across algorithms and sub-types.  And yes, preset switching is the most basic, yet still functional approach.  It’s the same algorithm here, so only a single parameter change gets refreshed.   If only one SCALE change is needed, the Preset Range can be set to 2.  Effectively, toggling between two scales, with a latching action.

If you want both an expression pedal and a (single) Aux switch, you need a Y-cable; merging both devices to the input jack.  The expression pedal alone can also ‘morph’ among multiple parameter ranges.  And, for an alternate approach, with no expression pedal, and (up to three) Aux switches:

Bind an Aux switch to the expression pedal programming.  ‘Set expression pedal value (aka HotKnob) value‘ allows you to program any combination of parameter ranges, and save those settings per-preset.  Then the mapped Aux switch will alternate between the two pre-programmed extremes.  An Aux switch that’s selectable between momentary & latching action is the most versatile for this.

camn
      Participant

Ah!

You got it brock!

I didn’t even think of adjusting the parameter value in the control app.

Daniel- I can confirm

What you want can be done with an H9 and a Disaster Area Designs  DMC-3XL Gen3.. (though any of thier Gen3 pedals should work).. or any other midi controller that can toggle a cc value.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.