Randomize presets / creative mode

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Randomize presets / creative mode

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      jrrowe
      Participant

I would love to see a hands free randomizing feature on the h9 in order to continue playing my instrument while the presets change ( perhaps a new preset every 20-30 seconds, and and option to stop on current). It would be a great feature for musicians when creating music or jamming with a band. I love the h9, but sometimes I spend too much adjusting presets vs playing.

Is this a possibility for the software?

Thank you,

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

This is something that we have considered before;

While there is an aspect of serendipity involved, I also suspect that 4 out of 5 would not be interesting.

But, worth a thought.

camn
      Participant

Maybe a choice for MIDI control? Hit the switch, it randomizes?

jrrowe
      Participant
      nickrose wrote:

While there is an aspect of serendipity involved, I also suspect that 4 out of 5 would not be interesting.

But, worth a thought.

I agree with your suspicion, however every person, band, jam session is so unique that it could be a great creative tool. I think it would be a great feature.

Thanks for the reply!

lordradish
      Participant
      nickrose wrote:

But, worth a thought.

An idea to minimize this problem….

I helped the guy who designed the software editors for the Meris pedals, and aware of this, we had it set up so you could set what parameters would and wouldn’t be tweaked, as well as upper/lower limits for them. Doesn’t give you a great preset, every time, but at least helps you avoid some unusable ones by putting limits on parameters that can make things unusable at the extremes (such as, say, settng it so the mix level is never at zero, so you’re not creating a preset you can’t even hear). We had it set up so you could tweak how long the random preset would play, and you could pause it and then save it on the fly. I came up with some pretty amazing presets with it. 

brock
      Participant
      camn wrote:
      Maybe a choice for MIDI control? Hit the switch, it randomizes?

I started to toy with this a little.  MIDI Solutions Event Processor (Plus), with pseudo-random variables.  I don’t see a way yet to trigger the sequence with a adequately long delay timer.  This kind of approach would have to use a switch action.  Maybe momentary / latch configs to differentiate between the next random seed & locking in the current one.

Random (pre-programmed & saved) presets would be easier to implement, but arguably less useful that preset parameter randomization.  And I agree that some parameters would have to be limited to a certain fail-safe range of values [MIX, FEEDBACK, et al].

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.