Recommendations on a COMPACT/Versatile MIDI controller.

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Recommendations on a COMPACT/Versatile MIDI controller.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      guitarlesson

The title says it all. Here's some background…

I have a Rocktron MidiMate that has been great for me for many years, but now that I have my Factors, I find its handling of Control Commands rather limited. Example: I cannot use it for Tap Tempo, and it can't send PC and CC at the same time.

A lot of people recommend the Ground Control Pro or units by Beringer or Roland, and while I'm sure their all great, they're all WAY too big. (My band is not U2 and I am not the Edge, for goodness sake.) If I replace the MidiMate, I will do so withe something smaller. Four buttons and a bank up/down would be plenty. Cost is also a factor. Any suggestions? (Preferably from those who have first-hand experience.)

Har
      Participant

I've been kinda curious along similar lines, as far as finding something with a small footprint (my pedalboards are already taking up most of the available floor as it is LOL).

Much of what I seem to be finding so far falls into the "all-or-(almost) nothing" category for floor-based MIDI controllers (I know I could send various CC commands and such from my DAW software easily enough, but that's not the performance environment that I need this for) – either the big honkin' units like the Behringer or Roland ones, or units like the Tech21 MIDI Mouse that are certainly small enough in physical size, but only provides MIDI program-change commands (which ironically is the one MIDI command I'm NOT interested in….figures! LOL).

quintessence

I can't sing the praises of the Liquid-Foot Jr. enough!!!

http://www.liquid-foot.com/products_jr.shtml

I absolutely love mine!!! The MIDI control, programming and configuring is virtually limitless… It has an absolutely gorgeously illuminated screen…It's built like a tank… and it's tiny (10"x6") in comparison to most foot controllers that don't even do a fraction of what the Jr. is capable of. 

Granted, price being an issue it is a bit steep at $450(w/o case) but you really get **A LOT** for the money. 

Laffa

This one is great 🙂

http://www.musicomlab.co.kr/efxmkiii.htm

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

guitarlesson:

A lot of people recommend the Ground Control Pro or units by Beringer or Roland, and while I'm sure their all great, they're all WAY too big. (My band is not U2 and I am not the Edge, for goodness sake.) If I replace the MidiMate, I will do so withe something smaller. Four buttons and a bank up/down would be plenty. Cost is also a factor. Any suggestions? (Preferably from those who have first-hand experience.)

Normal

false
      false
      false

EN-GB
      X-NONE
      X-NONE

LOL, I hear you and felt your pain.

I had the MIDIMATE and it was OK, BUT I found it too restrictive in features
      and a pain to program.

I looked around and found that a lot of the other Small/ Cheaper controllers
      lacked things like the ability to change the way MIDI CC was used for Tap
      Tempo…result is that the Factors end up with tempo 50% of what you want etc
      etc.

In the end I went for a Ground Control Pro and have not looked back, in all
      honesty it is not as big as you might think in comparison to the MIDIMATE and
      programming is soooo much more flexible and easy ….so much easier, I do not
      need to reference the manual when I want to change something on the fly at
      rehearsal.

One or the selling points of the GCP was that there is an freeware editor
      available, it is so easy, I have NEVER needed to use the computer editor…even
      for a MIDIot like me.

There are things like the MIDI Mouse and MIDIMOOSE, but they do not allow
      nearly as much flexibility as you might need….. if they do offer what you
      need now and in the future then great, but I wanted something that was flexible
      enough to change with my needs.

Good luck

thom
      Participant

I agree. And you can patch in your other pedals and use it to switch amp channels. Mine controls two factors. I am only using PCs but this (I have the MKII version), will do CCs as well simultaneously.

guitarlesson

@Laffa, That's awesome. If I had $800, I'd buy THAT. Heck, if I had $500, I'd ebay all my other MIDI gear to buy it, including my Axess Electronics loop switcher and amp channel switcher, since it does the job of those as well. Very nice. (RIP Axess Electronics)

@Quintessence, The Liquid Foot Jr. Is likely the one I'll save up for. More than I wanted to pay, but A MIDI Mouse/Moose just wont cut it.

@badmelonfarmer, No amount of goodies or awesomeness will get me to buy anything that is even one millimeter bigger than the MidiMate. (Thanks though) Why? Because Ive decided my entire rig must fit inside this… 

Pedal Pad AXS II (It's great. I actually stow my distortions and compressors in the hidden compartment along with a MIDI looper.)

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

totally understood, really neat looking pedalboard solution

timothyhill

Laffa, yeah, that's a really cool find! I'm guessing this is what you're using… could you possibly do a quick review of it from a user's viewpoint?

Laffa

Hey Tim,

Yeah that's what im using and defiantly hands down the best set up ive had. Its just like having a rack set up but all your pedals on the board. Probably the only thing you cant do with it is set one of the switches to be a tap tempo but you dont need to because you factor pedals are in front of you and you can keep them in play mode because the the switcher is changing the presets 🙂 Also if you have a bad lead you dont have to stick your head in the back of a rack to try and replace it. Its really easy to program and edit presets quickly and you can also set it to manual mode to use the preset buttons like instant access buttons. Hope that helps.

Before that i was using an Axess Electronics FX1 with all my pedals in a 6u Rack. Not ideal for working around town and most touring budgets!! Dont get me wrong it was a great set up but now i can do the exact thing all on one board.

Laffa

timothyhill

Thanks, Laffa! Nice board, too! That EFX Mk III definitely looks like a space-saver and really seems to cover a lot of ground.

guitarlesson

Laffa: You have a very similar rig to what is my ultimate goal… Just a few good analog effects on the front end to accentuate the natural sound of my amp, plus no-compromise digital effects in the FX loop. I bet with that rig you can get just about every sound you'll ever need, without the back ache.

I currently have the Axess Electronics GRX controlling my pedals and the CFX4 controlling my amp. If they ever break, I'm screwed because they went under.

Love that controller. It's perfect. Looks like I need to start saving up.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.