Recreate Roland Juno Chorus with H9?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Recreate Roland Juno Chorus with H9?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Saxophonick
      Participant

Hi,

I hope everybody’s is hanging tight in this ongoing global healh storm 

I’ve been trying to replicate the Roland Juno Chorus with the H9 without succes

It seems the patent expired as TC Electronic (Beeringer) recreated it in a pedal, but it sounds like carp for dyslexics

Would anybody at Eventide or on this forum have an idea if it’s doable, and if yes, adding it to the presets would be a mighty addition πŸ™‚

Best regards

Stay safe, stay strong, stay at home

Nicolas

camn
      Participant

what have you tried?

Saxophonick
      Participant
      camn wrote:

what have you tried?

Hi there,

Having had a Juno 60 on loan at the studio, I became quite fond of it, it’s chorus and wondering how to replicate it. I did not analyse the sound other than carefully listening, and to me this chorus sound is quite unique. From what I hear when activating it (the settings differ, but seemingly gradually increasing in intensity : I -> II -> I+II) there is classic chorus (bbd?) some microshifting, left right modulation (different timing, having a rotating/tremolo effect), level boost, possibly slight low freq boost and/or lowpass filter. I would add that the sound is slightly denser, despite the volume boost/eq, which might be some low freq harmonic saturation, and some perceived bite(not unlike an exciter) but that is purely based on auditory perception. Also some added noise (which I like as it adds some layer of dirt that seems to slightly flange left-right)

I tried the regular H9 chorus, the Microshift, and Tricerachorus. Due to the combo in the latter of microshift and chorus + envelope it gets in the territory, but not as fat or dirty

I think two H9 in series could do, (or a new multi-algo like the ones in Tricerachorus or other H9 combos of algorithms, hint, hint, benevolent Eventide team ;))

I could not get close as it is now

If anyone has any idea, most welcome πŸ™‚

Best

Nico

pmcculloch
      Eventide Staff

Hi Nico,

the Juno is BBD based chorusing.  It's using MN3009 BBD chips which produce delays ranging from 0.64 ms to 12.8 ms according to the datasheet for that chip.  

Taking a look at the circuit, TriceraChorus isn't set up the same way so you won't be able to do an exact model with just one (The L/C/R LFOs are 120 degrees rather than 180 degrees apart), though you might be able to do it with two in series provided that the second one is receiving stereo input from the first. That would be a luxurious way of doing it, though, so here are a few other suggestions that may get you closer to the sound you're looking for using one TriceraChorus:

• Use a 50/50 wet/dry mix
      • To mimic different L/R speeds, you can try having the BBD chorus only on the Left, and then have the Detune set to 0 L -4 R (or something similar — key thing is having the left at 0) with Detune Mix at 50%.  The detuning effect will work differently in different registers, so you may notice the "rate" on the detuned side seem to shift if you go up an octave or two.  One caveat here: you do need to be using stereo input and output for this to work.  (In mono to stereo, TriceraChorus will send the modulated signal to the left and the dry signal to the right when only the L voice is on, which is not what you want here)
      • Roll off the high end a little and boost the output gain to make the sound warmer
      • Try different instrument sources in the H9 settings.  The synth source (not synth bass) will be brighter than the guitar source.  The bass will have a similar profile to the guitar, but with more low end.
      • Try delay settings in the range indicated by the datasheet.  In chorus mode, the delay knob sets the minimum delay.
      • You might also experiment with chorale mode for the more active I+II sound, since that uses three LFOs per voice.  Two of the LFOs are fixed rates, one fast, one slow.  If you use low rates, you can minimize the effect of the voice's main LFO.  One other thing to be aware of is that in chorale mode, the delay time for a voice is going to be inversely proportional to the depth.  At 25% depth, the shortest delay will be approx 75% of the delay time.

This site may also be useful: http://www.florian-anwander.de/roland_string_choruses/

Saxophonick
      Participant
      pmcculloch wrote:

Hi Nico,

the Juno is BBD based chorusing.  It’s using MN3009 BBD chips which produce delays ranging from 0.64 ms to 12.8 ms according to the datasheet for that chip.  

Taking a look at the circuit, TriceraChorus isn’t set up the same way so you won’t be able to do an exact model with just one (The L/C/R LFOs are 120 degrees rather than 180 degrees apart), though you might be able to do it with two in series provided that the second one is receiving stereo input from the first. That would be a luxurious way of doing it, though, so here are a few other suggestions that may get you closer to the sound you’re looking for using one TriceraChorus:

• Use a 50/50 wet/dry mix
      • To mimic different L/R speeds, you can try having the BBD chorus only on the Left, and then have the Detune set to 0 L -4 R (or something similar — key thing is having the left at 0) with Detune Mix at 50%.  The detuning effect will work differently in different registers, so you may notice the “rate” on the detuned side seem to shift if you go up an octave or two.  One caveat here: you do need to be using stereo input and output for this to work.  (In mono to stereo, TriceraChorus will send the modulated signal to the left and the dry signal to the right when only the L voice is on, which is not what you want here)
      • Roll off the high end a little and boost the output gain to make the sound warmer
      • Try different instrument sources in the H9 settings.  The synth source (not synth bass) will be brighter than the guitar source.  The bass will have a similar profile to the guitar, but with more low end.
      • Try delay settings in the range indicated by the datasheet.  In chorus mode, the delay knob sets the minimum delay.
      • You might also experiment with chorale mode for the more active I+II sound, since that uses three LFOs per voice.  Two of the LFOs are fixed rates, one fast, one slow.  If you use low rates, you can minimize the effect of the voice’s main LFO.  One other thing to be aware of is that in chorale mode, the delay time for a voice is going to be inversely proportional to the depth.  At 25% depth, the shortest delay will be approx 75% of the delay time.

This site may also be useful: http://www.florian-anwander.de/roland_string_choruses/

Hi pmcculloch

What can I say first than a big thank you for your info, shared knowledge and expertise!

I just followed the steps you provided and was able to get some sterile pad sounding ultralush and wide, I can’t say how close I got it to a Juno as I don’t have one to compare, but the feel is there and the big gooey sound as well πŸ™‚

Already made 4 presets that I will use on quite a few sources, and indeed switching between chorus and chorale was able to provide that more intense modulation

I also saved your post in my folder of tech tips for my outboard/fx

Maybe if I add a stereo overdrive pedal with some noise before the H9 that might be worth investigating

Although to be frank, I just had 20 minutes of great fun jamming through pretty bland NordLead bass and pad sounds, that were all of a sudden inspiring and lush

You Eventide guys rock!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.