resonator demo?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes resonator demo?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      maxwellduhr
      Participant

Been playing around with the resonator for a couple hours. Pretty sweet plugin.

I must confess that I'm a bit confused as to how it actually works. Anyway we can get a clearer demo of what's going on with the settings? Maybe a video?

Also, I'm seeing screenshots of a settings screen on the iPad for this algorithm that let's you set the four notes much more easily but I can't seem to get this screen on my iPhone. Is this an iPad only thing or am I just missing something?

-max

ahumblet

Hi Max,

Glad you like the effect! We weren't able to comfortably fit the custom Resonator notegrid onto an iphone sized screen so you are correct that it is only available on ipad and osx.

We are currently working on a video, it will be released soon. In the meantime, do you have specific questions about the parameters?

The gist of it is that there are 4 delay taps. Each delay tap can be tuned to a specific note (Note1-4). Depending on how high the Resonance parameter is set, the delays will ring out more or less based on the input notes you play. If the Resonance is set to 0, the delay taps will sound clean. If the Resonance is set really high or really low and Note1 is tuned to C4, this means that the first tap of delay will have a tone at C4 whenever you play a note that is sympathetic to C4. So if you play any C, you will hear a loud and pronounced tone at C4, but if you play an F#5, it won't ring out as much.

Furthermore, the way the 4 delays are distributed in time is determined by the 4-digit Rhythm parameter. If the Length parameter is set to 800ms, imagine that this amount of time is divided into 8 possible slots where the delay taps can go. These slots (or subdivisions) are the numbers represented by the 4 digits of the Rhythm parameter.  So Rhythm 1.1.5.7 will have the first and second delay taps happen on subdivision1 (instantaneous, equivalent to 0ms delay), whereas the 3rd tap will occur on the 5th subdivision, and the 4th tap will occur on the 7th subdivision. If FB1 is turned up, this pattern will repeat.  

When you are in the preset editor, pressing on the space between the knobs will pull up the top and bottom menu bars. The top menu has an 'Info' button that has descriptions of all the parameters. You might find this helpful.  

-Adrienne

wilkinsi
      Participant

can someone post a link to this demo please?

gkellum
      Participant

Sure, we'll a link to the video to this thread.  In the meantime, have you seen the video that Roberto Torao made?

wilkinsi
      Participant

I watched his video, but didn't hear anything sounding like a resonator. I have constructed a preset on my eclipse which I named the same. It uses the Ultratap and detune algorithms. So if the H9's resonator preset sounds anything like mine, I'd be quite interested in seeing the parameter values.

gkellum
      Participant

Yeah, I like that video but the presets he was using have the feedback on the delay turned up really high and to a certain extent it ends up sounding like any delay algorithm does when the feedback is turned up high.  We'll have to post another video soon that shows off the distinctive aspects of the algorithm a bit more.

toraliens
      Participant

Hi,

It was a quick test throught the presets, but I will try to do some more cool in the next few weeks.

Thanks for Watching.

Roberto Torao

http://www.youtube.com/toraliens

http://www.facebook.com/toraliens

robertotorao.com

brock
      Participant

Interesting algorithm (demo mode of H9 Control).  You guys are going to convince me into an H9 yet; even before Android support.  Resonator is like an AdrenaLinn 'arpeggiator' with PitchFactor-like delay spacing, and bonus regeneration of the repeats.

From my own experiences with resonant delays, it requires extremely accurate control over fractional milliseconds to 'nail' an exact note value.  I wonder if that millisecond value could be exposed in a future update.  For example, a Note 1 – C4, and right-click for the equivalent in milliseconds.  Great for fine-tuning to 'in-between' microtonal note values, or a creative tool with sweeps in tiny increments.

ahumblet

Hi,

I like the idea. We could implement it as the fine tune mode for the Notes both in the app and on the stompbox (of course the Note Grid would need to be updated as well since the Y axis would need to be continuous rather than quantized by note). The question is if it would be more useful than confusing for the average user. 

-Adrienne 

brock
      Participant
      Quote:
      The question is if it would be more useful than confusing for the average user.

I see your point.  In my opinion, it'd wouldn't be much different than the PitchFactor's H910/949 Speed / Scale selections.  CHROMATC being quantized to a note value, NORMAL being a fine-tune mode, and MICRO being range-limited fine tuning.  But that's an (expanded) emulation of classic hardware.

With the Resonator, you're 'selling' resonant delays at specific tuned pitches that correspond to note values.  So – even if it's all milliseconds underneath – it's labeled to solidify the idea behind the algorithm.  Certainly the gesture that switched between 'Notes' and fine-tune mode would have to be a deliberate one.

I'm looking at this from the angle that Resonator could significantly expand its feature set with relatively few changes.  I suppose that fine tuning would fit the paradigm better if it were in 'cents' / percentages, but that would kind of defeat the purpose of ultra-precise millisecond adjustments.

Once more people get their hands on the algo and explore it, I'd be interested to hear what those end users might think.  I may very well be in the minority on this (and it wouldn't be the first time).  I tend to push the limits of my equipment.  Thanks for the consideration.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.