Rose Delay Multiplier and Sample Rate

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Rose Delay Multiplier and Sample Rate

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      duffmcshark
      Participant

I have a question regarding the Rose’s use of sample rate w/ the Delay Multiplier. Does the sample rate drop as the Delay Multiplier increases, similar to how it works on a Lexicon Prime Time? Is the sound of 300 ms the same when set to a Delay Multiplier of 1x as 60 ms would sound set to a Delay Multiplier of 5x?

Thanks for your help in advance.

tstern
      Eventide Staff

Yes, the sample rate drops as the Delay Multiplier increases, but in a slightly different way to how you're thinking about it because the Delay knob doesn't change the sample rate. 

You'll also be helped by making a distinction between the delay time you get (say, 1 second) and the delay knob setting.  If you are in 1x mode and have your Rose set to 1 second delay time, activating 2x mode would make the delay time 2 seconds by cutting the sample rate in half (slightly degrading the sound).  If you switched to 5x delay multiply, you would get a 5-second delay time with a fair amount of degradation in the audio quality.

brock
      Participant

This quote was so informative & succinct, I had to repeat it here:

tstern wrote:

For what it’s worth, the Rose has 3 factors that have different effects on the delay time and/or sample rate:

1) Delay time setting (via the Delay knob or Tap Tempo).  This doesn’t change the sample rate, only the number of samples in the delay line, so it doesn’t make any difference the “fidelity” of the sound.  At the nominal sample rate of 100 kHz (with modulation and delay multiply off) you can get up to about 10 seconds of delay time, with no degradation in audio quality.

2) Delay multiply: This cuts the (actual) sample rate in half (or more, depending on the Delay multiply setting) while leaving the delay line the same length.  In effect, this also doubles the length of the delay time.  At its more extreme settings, this will start to degrade the sound a bit (we stop before it gets too bad angel).

3) Modulation: This continuously varies the sample rate, also changing the delay time.  With delay multiply off, this goes from about half the nominal rate to double it, doing the opposite to the delay time.

https://www.eventideaudio.com/comment/38465#comment-38465

duffmcshark
      Participant
      tstern wrote:

Yes, the sample rate drops as the Delay Multiplier increases, but in a slightly different way to how you’re thinking about it because the Delay knob doesn’t change the sample rate. 

You’ll also be helped by making a distinction between the delay time you get (say, 1 second) and the delay knob setting.  If you are in 1x mode and have your Rose set to 1 second delay time, activating 2x mode would make the delay time 2 seconds by cutting the sample rate in half (slightly degrading the sound).  If you switched to 5x delay multiply, you would get a 5-second delay time with a fair amount of degradation in the audio quality.

Thank you!

So in my example I meant that in 1x mode the delay knob setting was 300 ms, and the delay time I was getting was 300 ms; but if I would change the delay knob to 60 ms and change the delay muliply to 5x mode to also get a total delay time of 300 ms, the scenario in 5x mode would sound more degraded than the 1x mode even though they both had a total delay time of 300 ms.

duffmcshark
      Participant
      brock wrote:

This quote was so informative & succinct, I had to repeat it here:

tstern wrote:

For what it’s worth, the Rose has 3 factors that have different effects on the delay time and/or sample rate:

1) Delay time setting (via the Delay knob or Tap Tempo).  This doesn’t change the sample rate, only the number of samples in the delay line, so it doesn’t make any difference the “fidelity” of the sound.  At the nominal sample rate of 100 kHz (with modulation and delay multiply off) you can get up to about 10 seconds of delay time, with no degradation in audio quality.

2) Delay multiply: This cuts the (actual) sample rate in half (or more, depending on the Delay multiply setting) while leaving the delay line the same length.  In effect, this also doubles the length of the delay time.  At its more extreme settings, this will start to degrade the sound a bit (we stop before it gets too bad angel).

3) Modulation: This continuously varies the sample rate, also changing the delay time.  With delay multiply off, this goes from about half the nominal rate to double it, doing the opposite to the delay time.

https://www.eventideaudio.com/comment/38465#comment-38465

Thanks for that!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.