ROSE issue with overdrive/distortion pedals + ….

Home Forums Products Stompboxes ROSE issue with overdrive/distortion pedals + ….

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      providenceH
      Participant

Hi

I have a Rose which I really like a lot, I think its the best delay pedal out there but I have a problem: with my Friedman BE-OD pedal engaged before it, it drastically drops the volume of the repeats (I dont use the BE-OD as always on, but only sometimes as additional gain, no other gain pedals are in the chain) can someone please help??

PS: got another issue with my Tesla control… no way I can set it for tap tempo, I followed all the instructions (aux on, select it, select tap tempo etc) but no way to make it work, I tried also some other pedals (mxr, custom made etc) and connected everything also with a TRS cable but all of them do nothing, I can stomp in whatever way but pedal does not recognyze any tap input

Thanks for any help on my issues

providenceH
      Participant

bump for help

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff
      providenceH wrote:
      with my Friedman BE-OD pedal engaged before it, it drastically drops the volume of the repeats.

I have a Frieman BE-OD and I cannot replicate the issue. My taps stay prominent whether the OD is on or not. What are you plugging the Rose into? Can you try with stock preset number #1 to see if you have the issue?

You can always back up your presets using EDM and try to restore Factory settings to root out any weird settings that may be causing the issue.

providenceH wrote:
      PS: got another issue with my Tesla control… no way I can set it for tap tempo, I followed all the instructions (aux on, select it, select tap tempo etc) but no way to make it work, I tried also some other pedals (mxr, custom made etc) and connected everything also with a TRS cable but all of them do nothing, I can stomp in whatever way but pedal does not recognyze any tap input

Keep in mind that if the HOTSWITCH is set to control LFO rate, then so will the auxiliary Tap Tempo switch. Make sure the HOTSWITCH is controlling the tap tempo and your aux switch will do the same.

Press & Hold the HOTSWITCH to toggle between LFO Rate (green) and Tap Tempo (RED).

providenceH
      Participant

thanks for your reply, appreciate it, but let me share my point of view: I play plexis since the late 80s… I am a delay freak and I had every pedal out there since the early 90s (my first one was the ehx DMM) including rack gear (lexicons mainly) and original EP3s, not a single one had a volume problem, if you hear the video when I play with BEOD on and Rose off the Dunlop echoplex pedal does not have any volume drop… and sorry but I will never sacrifice amp distortion (its a 50w plexi with volume I on 5 nothing higain at all very far from that) for any pedal/effect, I will try saving a preset with higher volume but its really a shame as pedal sound very good

PS: I have hotswitch on A/B and Aux on Tap Tempo and Tip but the Tesla unit does not operate tap tempo (makes nothing actually)

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Hi Tony,

Use this video instead. All adjustments can be made in EDM without touching the pedal.

providenceH
      Participant

thanks a lot very helpful

providenceH
      Participant

thanks Joe for your reply,

my unit was bought new from Thomann in early Feb 2021, it did not allow me to save my presets as EDM kept showing I need before to update so I jumped to the latest revision (3.15 if I recall correctly), losing my presets and restoring it back to factory.

It still does the issue as per my initial request, I made a video showing it, I play first with BEOD off then on, initial pedal settings are mine and are as per knobs shown in the video, then I recall factory preset one and did the same, it seems that my preferred modulation (very good dose of Random) is the most affected by the issue unfortunately, please help me solve it, link to the video:

https://vimeo.com/564633130

https://i.imgur.com/YjfZNOt.mp4

signal chain is: Les Paul Custom (stock) – StrobostompHD (buffered)-Dunlop ZW wah (not true bypass)-Friedman BEOD(true bypass)-mooer elady OFF (true bypass)-Digitech luxe ON (true bypass)-ROSE-Dunlop EP103 echoplex ON as short reverb from slapback (true bypass)-Cusack tremolo OFF (true bypass)-Marshall 1987x plexi 50w replica(stock)-Marshall 4×12 with vintage 30

Thanks a lot

Tony

joecozzi wrote:
      providenceH wrote:
      with my Friedman BE-OD pedal engaged before it, it drastically drops the volume of the repeats.

I have a Frieman BE-OD and I cannot replicate the issue. My taps stay prominent whether the OD is on or not. What are you plugging the Rose into? Can you try with stock preset number #1 to see if you have the issue? You can always back up your presets using EDM and try to restore Factory settings to root out any weird settings that may be causing the issue.

providenceH wrote:

Keep in mind that if the HOTSWITCH is set to control LFO rate, then so will the auxiliary Tap Tempo switch. Make sure the HOTSWITCH is controlling the tap tempo and your aux switch will do the same. Press & Hold the HOTSWITCH to toggle between LFO Rate (green) and Tap Tempo (RED).

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff
      providenceH wrote:
      I play first with BEOD off then on.

In your video, I hear the signal already distorted before you engage the BE-OD. Are you running delay (Rose) into an already distorted amplifier? If so, that’s problem #1, mainly because best practice is to run any time-based effects into the FX Loop of an amp, not straight into it when distortion is coming from the amp’s preamp. Plus, many amplifiers do not take delays well going into the front end, especially if they’re hi-gain amp’s…even on the clean channel.

The other thing I notice is the volume knob on your BE-OD is down a lot. Almost always, the volume knob on a distortion pedal acts as the master volume of the chain, so a low setting will cause a noticeable reduction in volume certainly. I understand you need to keep the volume down on that pedal because you’re already going into a distorted amp, but as a matter of personal preference, I would not use the Friedman as a drive pedal trying to push an amp…the Friedman is designed to be a hi-gain distortion pedal.

Best recommendation, put Rose in the effects loop of the amp. Switch the level input on the pedal to “line level” as most FX Loops run this type of signal. If your amp does not have an FX Loop, the only solution is to set the amp relatively clean and use distortion from your pedals.

jallard
      Participant

providenceH, 

The effect you’re seeing in the video, where the repeats drop off faster with a distorted input, is common. I can recreate this using any distortion pedal followed by an analog delay pedal. 

It happens because a clean guitar sound is quite tonal and correlated with a delayed version of itself. This causes the feedback to re-enforce the signal on each repeat, so it takes longer to die out. A heavily distorted signal is not very correlated with itself. This causes the analog feedback to have less of a re-enforcing effect on each repeat, so the repeats die out quicker.

One way to deal with this is to have a separate Rose preset with a higher feedback level for when pre-distortion is enabled.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff
      providenceH wrote:
      I have hotswitch on A/B and Aux on Tap Tempo and Tip but the Tesla unit does not operate tap tempo (makes nothing actually)

Hi Tony, please look at this video. As stated before, I still think tap tempo on your pedal is set to control the LFO rate and not the delay time. Let me know if this solves the problem for you.

https://youtu.be/byWxj7JM4jA

providenceH
      Participant
      joecozzi wrote:
      providenceH wrote:
      I have hotswitch on A/B and Aux on Tap Tempo and Tip but the Tesla unit does not operate tap tempo (makes nothing actually)

Hi Tony, please look at this video. As stated before, I still think tap tempo on your pedal is set to control the LFO rate and not the delay time. Let me know if this solves the problem for you. https://youtu.be/byWxj7JM4jA

thank you very much, I will try it at soonest but I greatly appreciate all your effort in helping me, thats great, thank you!!

providenceH
      Participant
      joecozzi wrote:
      providenceH wrote:

Hi Tony, please look at this video. As stated before, I still think tap tempo on your pedal is set to control the LFO rate and not the delay time. Let me know if this solves the problem for you. https://youtu.be/byWxj7JM4jA

thank you very much, I will try it at soonest but I greatly appreciate all your effort in helping me, thats great, thank you!!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.