Save as a NEW Preset? Save Directly to a Preset List?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Save as a NEW Preset? Save Directly to a Preset List?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Wallower

I’ve been wondering for some time if there are solutions to two “preset list” related issues I encounter often.

First. after activating a preset from a preset list in the iPad app, I can of course tweak the controls.  But then, the only option is to “Save” and overwrite the preset.  Under “More”, there is no option to “Save As New”.  The clunky workaround seems to be that you have to, in advance, duplicate the preset from the preset list, then open that duplicate, and then edit and save it.  But if you happen to have opened a preset from a preset list and tweaked it into a new sound you like as well, there’s simply no way to save that sound without losing your original preset.  Am I missing something here?  Is there really no way to tweak a preset from a preset list and save the tweaks to a new preset?  Ideally, you could save it directly back to an empty position in the same preset list in which the original unmodified preset resides.

Second, when creating a new preset from scratch in the iPad app, there is similarly new option to save directly to a preset list.  It seems you can only save as a user preset.  To avoid tons of duplicate presets, it seems much more manageable to me to keep all my presets in lists, and delete the unsorted user presets.  Thus, whenever I create a good preset, I need to save it as a user preset, save that user preset to a preset list, and then delete the user preset.  This is a lot of extra steps.  Would be great if you could save a newly created preset directly to a pre-existing user list.  Again, am I missing this functionality?  If not, any chance some of this user flow will ever be streamlined?

Thanks in advance!

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      Wallower wrote:

First. after activating a preset from a preset list in the iPad app, I can of course tweak the controls. But then, the only option is to "Save" and overwrite the preset.  Under "More", there is no option to "Save As New".  The clunky workaround seems to be that you have to, in advance, duplicate the preset from the preset list, then open that duplicate, and then edit and save it.  But if you happen to have opened a preset from a preset list and tweaked it into a new sound you like as well, there's simply no way to save that sound without losing your original preset.  Am I missing something here?  Is there really no way to tweak a preset from a preset list and save the tweaks to a new preset?  Ideally, you could save it directly back to an empty position in the same preset list in which the original unmodified preset resides.

Second, when creating a new preset from scratch in the iPad app, there is similarly new option to save directly to a preset list.  It seems you can only save as a user preset.  To avoid tons of duplicate presets, it seems much more manageable to me to keep all my presets in lists, and delete the unsorted user presets.  Thus, whenever I create a good preset, I need to save it as a user preset, save that user preset to a preset list, and then delete the user preset.  This is a lot of extra steps.  Would be great if you could save a newly created preset directly to a pre-existing user list.  Again, am I missing this functionality?  If not, any chance some of this user flow will ever be streamlined?

For the first question, there is a workaround. When you edited a preset in the prest list page, if you click the "Preset" in the menu bar to go the Preset page, now you may save it as a User Preset.

For the second request, I'm not sure if we want to implement this, cause it might confuse some new users who are not familiar with Preset and Preset list hierarchy.

Thank you for your feedback!

Wallower
        bohan wrote:

When you edited a preset in the prest list page, if you click the “Preset” in the menu bar to go the Preset page, now you may save it as a User Preset.

For the second request, I’m not sure if we want to implement this, cause it might confuse some new users who are not familiar with Preset and Preset list hierarchy.

Thanks for the reply!  As a new user myself not long ago though, I have to say that the “user” vs. “list” preset relationship is already cumbersome, if not confusing.  I definitely struggled to find the best way to store, sort, find, load, and avoid duplication of presets, particularly between the “user” and “list” types.

Having two H9s on my board that I want to share the same set of favorite presets between, I eventually found preset lists to be much superior to user or stompbox presets, because I can keep my iPad open to my favorite list and then quickly load any preset to either unit.  Then, if I decide a certain preset needs to be tweaked, I can edit that specific list preset and be done with it, without worrying about updating any duplicate user or stompbox presets.

Thus, for my use case, I don’t see much benefit to keeping duplicate unsorted user presets cluttering up the Control app.  If anything, I may start keeping a backup preset list in case I accidentally modify or delete something in my primary list.  But user presets just don’t do anything for me that lists don’t already do.  And navigating from a TimeFactor user preset to, say, a Space user preset requires first navigating all the way between those algorithms.  I don’t see any benefit to that.

Thus, I literally went through my app, made sure every user preset was also saved to a list, and then DELETED all user presets.  Now, my Control app “Presets” page is clean with only factory presets, and all my custom presets are easy to find in categorized lists.

This setup seems logical to me–I imagine others may also be using a similar approach?  So then, going back to my original post, the problem is that the Control app seems to fight this setup at several turns, forcing me back into the messy world of user presets.  What I hope Eventide will consider, in a nutshell, is adding the capability to save new presets, regardless of their origin, into a pre-existing preset list, rather than defaulting to the grab-bag of user presets.  As it stands now, every new preset I create gets dumped into user presets, then I need to save it to a preset list, and then delete the user preset.  Something as simple as a drop-down option when selecting to “Save” a preset that gives the option to save it to a specific preset list, and if so, a prompt to select among existing preset lists, and then choose a specific location within the chosen list, would be ideal.

Thanks for consideration!

bansta
        Participant

The whole workflow in the H9-Control is a sort of quest 🙂

If you have more then one H9 it becomes really annoying to switch all the time between all that screens, overloaded with the graphic clutter.

I’d prefer simple list view in the style of Norton Commander (have you ever heard about this ancient piece of software? 🙂  )  with a user list on the left side and the current device on the right side of the screen.

Wallower wrote:

bohan wrote:

When you edited a preset in the prest list page, if you click the “Preset” in the menu bar to go the Preset page, now you may save it as a User Preset.

For the second request, I’m not sure if we want to implement this, cause it might confuse some new users who are not familiar with Preset and Preset list hierarchy.

Thanks for the reply!  As a new user myself not long ago though, I have to say that the “user” vs. “list” preset relationship is already cumbersome, if not confusing.  I definitely struggled to find the best way to store, sort, find, load, and avoid duplication of presets, particularly between the “user” and “list” types.

Having two H9s on my board that I want to share the same set of favorite presets between, I eventually found preset lists to be much superior to user or stompbox presets, because I can keep my iPad open to my favorite list and then quickly load any preset to either unit.  Then, if I decide a certain preset needs to be tweaked, I can edit that specific list preset and be done with it, without worrying about updating any duplicate user or stompbox presets.

Thus, for my use case, I don’t see much benefit to keeping duplicate unsorted user presets cluttering up the Control app.  If anything, I may start keeping a backup preset list in case I accidentally modify or delete something in my primary list.  But user presets just don’t do anything for me that lists don’t already do.  And navigating from a TimeFactor user preset to, say, a Space user preset requires first navigating all the way between those algorithms.  I don’t see any benefit to that.

Thus, I literally went through my app, made sure every user preset was also saved to a list, and then DELETED all user presets.  Now, my Control app “Presets” page is clean with only factory presets, and all my custom presets are easy to find in categorized lists.

This setup seems logical to me–I imagine others may also be using a similar approach?  So then, going back to my original post, the problem is that the Control app seems to fight this setup at several turns, forcing me back into the messy world of user presets.  What I hope Eventide will consider, in a nutshell, is adding the capability to save new presets, regardless of their origin, into a pre-existing preset list, rather than defaulting to the grab-bag of user presets.  As it stands now, every new preset I create gets dumped into user presets, then I need to save it to a preset list, and then delete the user preset.  Something as simple as a drop-down option when selecting to “Save” a preset that gives the option to save it to a specific preset list, and if so, a prompt to select among existing preset lists, and then choose a specific location within the chosen list, would be ideal.

Thanks for consideration!

bohan
        Eventide Staff
        Wallower wrote:

Thus, for my use case, I don't see much benefit to keeping duplicate unsorted user presets cluttering up the Control app.  If anything, I may start keeping a backup preset list in case I accidentally modify or delete something in my primary list.  But user presets just don't do anything for me that lists don't already do.  And navigating from a TimeFactor user preset to, say, a Space user preset requires first navigating all the way between those algorithms.  I don't see any benefit to that.

So if we removed the "Presets" page, what if a user wanted to play an algorithm and mess around with parameters without creating a dedicated list for it? If you chose an algorithm from the Algorithms page, should the view switch to a new list or an existing list? You may sort your user presets by Name, Date, or Number, and you can navigate different algorithms from the Algorithm bar on the left of the Presets page. I wouldn't say it is cluttering and doesn't have any benefit. 

Wallower wrote:

Thus, I literally went through my app, made sure every user preset was also saved to a list, and then DELETED all user presets. Now, my Control app "Presets" page is clean with only factory presets, and all my custom presets are easy to find in categorized lists.

Personally, I like messing around presets in the Presets screen, and only create lists for my band/solo practice and live performance. Imagine if you've created dozens of presets for each algorithm, you wouldn't want to have 50+ preset lists in your preset list screen. 

Wallower wrote:

This setup seems logical to me–I imagine others may also be using a similar approach? So then, going back to my original post, the problem is that the Control app seems to fight this setup at several turns, forcing me back into the messy world of user presets.  What I hope Eventide will consider, in a nutshell, is adding the capability to save new presets, regardless of their origin, into a pre-existing preset list, rather than defaulting to the grab-bag of user presets.  As it stands now, every new preset I create gets dumped into user presets, then I need to save it to a preset list, and then delete the user preset.  Something as simple as a drop-down option when selecting to "Save" a preset that gives the option to save it to a specific preset list, and if so, a prompt to select among existing preset lists, and then choose a specific location within the chosen list, would be ideal.

This approach is definitely logical to you, but might not apply to everyone. I see where your request is from and it sounds reasonable to me. However, removing the entire Presets page is just not possible for now, except you can provide a new logic/design covering all possibilities of preset editing and navigation, with new integrated UI components. I would be very happy if you can do this for us though…

Since I cannot guarantee if/when this feature will be added, I would suggest when you want to edit a preset, please just go to the Preset List page and edit or add presets there. By doing so you can save some time of deleting the user preset copy of that.

Wallower

Foremost, thanks for the response, I sincerely appreciate the dialogue and continued support Eventide puts into the H9!

bohan wrote:
        So if we removed the "Presets" page….
        bohan wrote:
        However, removing the entire Presets page is just not possible for now….

My bad, I didn’t mean to sound like I was suggesting to do away with User Presets entirely! I certainly don’t desire or ever expect any such seismic changes to the Control App. Alls I’m looking for is an option to save a new preset directly to a list, rather than currently only being able to save new presets as “user” presets.

bohan wrote:
        Imagine if you've created dozens of presets for each algorithm, you wouldn't want to have 50+ preset lists in your preset list screen. 

Notwithstanding the miscommunication above (I’m not advocating for removal of user presets), I would still personally probably have all such presets categorized in lists. With up to 99 presets per list, it wouldn’t take very many lists really. My biggest issue with user presets is, when you want to make them into an easily-accessible list, you have to create a duplicate. I hate duplicates, I tweak one and forget which one and it just becomes a mess. With lists, I can just keep a single always-current copy of my custom presets.

bohan wrote:
        I would suggest when you want to edit a preset, please just go to the Preset List page and edit or add presets there. By doing so you can save some time of deleting the user preset copy of that.

The problem is, first, if I’ve opened a preset from a list (which is how I open most presets for reasons previously discussed) and I decide spontaneously to edit it and I then come up with some amazing new preset, which I of course then want to save without overwriting the original list preset, I’m out of luck. There’s no way to save that new preset without destroying the old one. A simple option to save as new in a different preset list location would be huge here!

And second, If I want to edit a factory preset and save directly to a preset list, again, I can’t do that. Which is why I keep creating user presets, saving them to lists, and then deleting them.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.