Saving a Looper preset with different Depth value

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Saving a Looper preset with different Depth value

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      spaceJam

Hi Eventide,

For some reason I can not save a Looper preset with the “Depth” value set to anything other than [OCTAVES], especifically [SMOOTH].

What happens is that when I transfer this preset to the H9, it doesn’t keep the [SMOOTH] value, it starts with [OCTAVES] and I know this because when I change the [SPEED] value with an expression pedal it changes from 100 to 50.

And when I load H9 Control again and I load the preset, it seems that the value was not saved at all.

Another thing is that to be able to set a different value for “Speed” other than 200, 100, 50, 0 it needs to have a loop in memory. So what I do is to record something, change the “Depth” knob to [SMOOTH] and then set the [SPEED] expression from 100 to 93.

But this is not going to work anyways because the preset is in [OCTAVES] so if I move the expression pedal it will go from 100 to 50…

Is it possible to do what I’m asking? If not, could this be implemented in the future?

By the way, [SMOOTH] is not on the manual, it should be after [CHROMATIC] in pg.7  I think.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/com.eventide.downloads/Product+Manuals/Looper.pdf

Thanks!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

If you create this preset on the H9 and save it on the H9, and then load the saved version, does it do the same thing ?

I'm trying to see whether the issue is on the H9 or H9control.

spaceJam

Confirmed. Same thing happens if I adjust and save preset with H9.

brock
      Participant
      spaceJam wrote:
      … By the way, [SMOOTH] is not on the manual, it should be after [CHROMATIC] in pg.7  I think.

[SMOOTH] is noted as a 1% increment, with the list below that giving musical intervals + percentages.  As for reset to [OCTAVES], I’ve always assumed that was the default intended behavior.  Same page of manual:

“Note: During loop recording, Resolution will always return to OCTAVES. This guarantees that the immediate playback speed occurs at the recorded speed.”

FWIW, I use the H9 Control app 95% of the time for setting up presets.  It’s so much easier.  Most live control has already been pre-configured to happen over MIDI.  I will check back the [OCTAVES] behavior using the H9 itself, as time permits.

wedelich
        Eventide Staff
        brock wrote:

spaceJam wrote:
        … By the way, [SMOOTH] is not on the manual, it should be after [CHROMATIC] in pg.7  I think.

[SMOOTH] is noted as a 1% increment, with the list below that giving musical intervals + percentages.  As for reset to [OCTAVES], I've always assumed that was the default intended behavior.  Same page of manual:

"Note: During loop recording, Resolution will always return to OCTAVES. This guarantees that the immediate playback speed occurs at the recorded speed."

FWIW, I use the H9 Control app 95% of the time for setting up presets.  It's so much easier.  Most live control has already been pre-configured to happen over MIDI.  I will check back the [OCTAVES] behavior using the H9 itself, as time permits.

As brock points out, it's all in the Looper manual, it's just pretty exhuastive and hard to find.  The resolution does in fact always return to OCTAVES when recording on TimeFactor and H9.    

We found everyone wants to use Loopers in very different ways, and we did this because most people prefered their immediate playback to be at the pitch/speed they recorded it in (more standard Looper usage).  It was a tradeoff where we effectively "punish" the power users or people who want more complexity with a more complex solution.  Or, for lack of a better way of putting it, a dummy-proofing.   That said,  a simple workaround is to change the speed resolution after you start recording with an expression pedal, aux switch, midi cc, etc.  

spaceJam
        wedelich wrote:

we did this because most people prefered their immediate playback to be at the pitch/speed they recorded it in (more standard Looper usage).

That said,  a simple workaround is to change the speed resolution after you start recording with an expression pedal, aux switch, midi cc, etc.  

Okay, I can understand that. And I will be indeed starting the playback at the same pitch/speed I used to record the loop, I just thought it was strange that one can store per preset other values like Playback, Decay, Filter but not the Speed/Resolution.

And yes, I’ve been sending a CC to change the value to SMOOTH after I record a loop and I’m OK with that, I just was wondering if that was a “feature”.

Thanks guys!

Bodde
      Participant

Yes. I noticed this too some months ago also. Unfortunately this is normal behavious as pointed out. For me personally it is not very logical. You have to do that extra step after recording the loop when you want something else than octaves. Also it is strange for me that the values can not be saved as you also noticed.

If you want some more advanced looping it is not practical.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.