Sculpt algorithm?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Sculpt algorithm?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 reply threads
  • Author
      mwe
      Participant

I was checking my Eventide account via H9 control and noticed that, along with CrushStation, there’s an algorithm listed called Sculpt. Any ideas what that might be?

gkellum
      Participant

Sculpt is another distortion algorithm, and as it's name implies, it's a multiband distortion so you can get different levels of distortion in the low and high bands.  We're still working on Sculpt though.  What's coming out next is CrushStation.  Sculpt is going to come out later on this year (presumably).

mwe
      Participant

Very interesting. I have to say, I’m very appreciative of Eventide’s openness about product development.

entreat69
      Participant

So looking forward to both Crushstation and Sculpt.

madmac
      Participant

Chushstation, Sculpt and Spacetime coming soon. Fun times ahead!

tzvip
      Participant

Can anyone tell what it is?

Bodde
      Participant

@Madmac: what is the Spacetime algo? Did I miss something?

off topic: Is it still not possible to quote messages on this forum? and to edit your won posts? I don’t see any function for that……

jgoldbach
      Participant

@bodde, it is now possible to edit the original post so long as there are no comments. Here's the post announcing that feature

The moderators felt this was the best policy to be fair and avoid confusion, but we're always listening

The quote feature is high on our list of improvements to make, but with any new site, there are many things on that list. We appreciate your patience. 

Bodde
      Participant

ok thanks. I think it is strange that you can only edit when there are no other posts after the one you have posted. Sometimes you see a spelling mistake or something after someone else posted. Especially because it takes some time before your post is approved and appears on the forum.

Also I think it is very unpractical that there is no quote function. But I see that it in the pipeline so we have to be patient.

madmac
      Participant

If you have a look at your acccount in the H9 app and you have a H9 Max you can see the up and coming alogorithm names.  Spacetime is in this list along with Crushstation, Sculpt and all the other already available alogorithms.

Bodde
      Participant

Sure but what is it? Haven’t read about it here on the forum. I like the name.

h9controller
      Eventide Staff

Hey All,

SpaceTime is a multi effects algorithm combining, modulation, delays and reverb.  It should be a pretty versatile algorithm and something that we've gotten a lot of request for here at Eventide.  I believe it should also be coming out later this year!

Bodde
      Participant

Ok very cool! I was hoping for such a combined algo. Since I am a delay freak this is good news!! Thanks Eventide.

Mod+delay+reverb.  Nice.

Please put Delay A and B and maybe lo res delay like Line 6’s M series.  Thanks and awesome work!

Any updates on the release date?

Thanks Eventide.  More power to you!

gkellum
        Participant

Any updates on the release date?

Well, we decided to add a custom UI for SpaceTime to make it easier to understand what was going on.  So, we're working on that, but we're planning on having it ready for NAMM in 3 weeks or so.  Sculpt is on the back burner right now and will come later when we have time to give it some more attention.

Bodde
        Participant
        gkellum wrote:

Well, we decided to add a custom UI for SpaceTime to make it easier to understand what was going on.  So, we’re working on that, but we’re planning on having it ready for NAMM in 3 weeks or so.  Sculpt is on the back burner right now and will come later when we have time to give it some more attention.

Ok that is great news! Can’t wait to try the Space Time algo. Very curious what it does exactly.

draakenworld
        Participant
        gkellum wrote:

Well, we decided to add a custom UI for SpaceTime to make it easier to understand what was going on.  So, we're working on that, but we're planning on having it ready for NAMM in 3 weeks or so.  Sculpt is on the back burner right now and will come later when we have time to give it some more attention.

Looking forward to try the new SpaceTime algorithm. Will there be an in series/in parallel selection control for the three effects?

brock
        Participant

You’ve got to love the candid delivery and sense of humor here:

Eventide Newsletter wrote:

This year at NAMM, we’ll be unveiling a new H9 algorithm inspired by the 100th Anniversary of Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity. Some of you may have noticed that we inadvertently released an H9 Control beta that included an algorithm mysteriously called “SpaceTime.” We had hoped to release it on the theory’s ‘official’ anniversary but, well, everything takes forever and we’re a bit late. Of course, in relativity the words ‘forever’ and ‘late’ have little meaning.

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

Cool, interested to see what the custom interface options bring

st.bede
      Participant

I have a few hundred dollars waiting to buy another pedal. I want another H9 but I am waiting to see if sculpt can replace a dirt box postion on my board. When will my dream of having a powerful multiband dirt that allows for presets come true?

Bodde
      Participant

Don’t think there is any info on that. I don’t use the CrushStation as much as the other algos. It can do nice things but I have plenty of other stuff I can use for overdrive. Also I want to use the H9 for delays/reverb and modulation stuff. It is a bit limited that there is no delay in the CrushStation so you always have to use another device along with it. Whatever the Sculpt is I hope it will be combined with some other sounds like delay or pitch shifter. That way it is much more flexible. For me Sculpt has to do things that other devices can’t do or a combined algo (like SpaceTime) with other sounds so it can be used as a stand alone algo.

draakenworld
      Participant

How’s the sculpt algorithm coming? Any news about an approximate release date for it?

Flabzilla
        draakenworld wrote:

How’s the sculpt algorithm coming? Any news about an approximate release date for it?

Is Sculpt still happening?

gkellum
        Participant
        Flabzilla wrote:

Yes, Sculpt is still happening. Sorry no one responded to the previous question about Sculpt's release date.  We've been working on a custom UI for the algorithm, and we just gave it to some beta testers to take a look at.  We fixed some recurrent MIDI problems in this same release, and we want to take some time testing it to make sure fixing one MIDI issue didn't cause another.  If all goes well, we're going to release it around the time of summer NAMM.

Flabzilla
        gkellum wrote:

Flabzilla wrote:

Yes, Sculpt is still happening. Sorry no one responded to the previous question about Sculpt’s release date.  We’ve been working on a custom UI for the algorithm, and we just gave it to some beta testers to take a look at.  We fixed some recurrent MIDI problems in this same release, and we want to take some time testing it to make sure fixing one MIDI issue didn’t cause another.  If all goes well, we’re going to release it around the time of summer NAMM.

Thanks, looking forward to it.

entreat69
      Participant

Is the new algorithm “Sculpt” going to be released soon? 🙂

gkellum
        Participant
        entreat69 wrote:

Is the new algorithm "Sculpt" going to be released soon? 🙂

Yes, it's coming soon.

entreat69
      Participant

Thanks for the positive response about the planned release of “Sculpt” soon! Yay! I’ve been enjoying the wonderful “CrushStation” and especially love the fact the the built Pitch Shifter and playing around with the Parametric EQs and Compressor/Drive can achieve some really nice Electric 12 String tones. 🙂 

nsanchez
      Eventide Staff

We’re only a few weeks away from releasing Sculpt. In the meantime, check out this video from two of our early testers, Vernon Reid and Andee Blacksugar: http://youtu.be/lhIA1Spuqdo

gkellum
      Participant

I'm not 100% sure, but I think maybe Nalia meant to post this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhIA1Spuqdo

Bodde
      Participant

ok great! very curious. Hard to know what to expect after watching that teaser. I think I hear some enveloope stuff going in the end? Let’s hope it is not just a distortion and that it is a combined algo with some other effects like pitch shifting and/or delay. Would be very cool to have that in one algo especially delay and distortion.

AAgnello
        Eventide Staff
        bodde wrote:

ok great! very curious. Hard to know what to expect after watching that teaser. I think I hear some enveloope stuff going in the end? Let's hope it is not just a distortion and that it is a combined algo with some other effects like pitch shifting and/or delay. Would be very cool to have that in one algo especially delay and distortion.

Sorry to disappoint you but Sculpt uses all of the H9's CPU cycles to model the nonlinearities of analog circuits. It's amazing, but not too surprising, that it takes lots of DSP to achieve better than cheesy sounding analog gain effects – not that there's anything wrong with cheese if that's what you're going for. We've done our best to create a good sounding model of analog gain and threw all of the cycles at that task.

And, like most of what we do, our goal was to create an effect that's flexible and that offers a wide range of possibilities. We've researched lots of analog distortion pedals and found quite a variety of approaches. For just one example, some designers place an EQ circuit before the gain circuit, others place the EQ after the gain. Apart from the actual design of the EQ and gain, placement makes a big difference. One big advantage of doing this in the digital domain is that you can give the user flexibility that's simply impossible with an analog pedal and that's what we've tried to do with Sculpt. 

Sculpt is designed to be a creative tool. A tool that allows you to sculpt your own sound. We'll include a bunch of presets as starting points but trust that some of you will go nuts (in a good way) and craft something unique.

We're in QA with the next release of H9 software (which includes Sculpt and a few general improvements to the H9) and expect to announce it at Summer NAMM in a couple of weeks. 

In any case, thanks for the request/suggestion. We're far from done with developing new stuff for the H9. 

brock
        Participant
        AAgnello wrote:

… Sculpt uses all of the H9’s CPU cycles to model the nonlinearities of analog circuits. It’s amazing, but not too surprising, that it takes lots of DSP to achieve better than cheesy sounding analog gain effects – not that there’s anything wrong with cheese if that’s what you’re going for. We’ve done our best to create a good sounding model of analog gain and threw all of the cycles at that task.

And, like most of what we do, our goal was to create an effect that’s flexible and that offers a wide range of possibilities. We’ve researched lots of analog distortion pedals and found quite a variety of approaches …

Sculpt is designed to be a creative tool. A tool that allows you to sculpt your own sound. We’ll include a bunch of presets as starting points but trust that some of you will go nuts (in a good way) and craft something unique …

And that’s why many of us continue to invest in Eventide effects.  The philosophy bleeds through on that video teaser.  Vernon Reid absolutely RIPS through that EQ from 1:20 (“What Is That Sound”).

entreat69
      Participant

Very nice. Thank you very much for the very informative description of what “The Sculpt” algorithm is. The ability to shape the sound with flexible placement of the EQ stage before or after the Gain stage is definitely spot on. Yes! I’m really looking forward to experimenting and using it in my rig for both live and recordings.

Bodde
      Participant

ok no problem. I am happy with every new algo for the H9. I am sure it will be great!

It is just my personal wish for more combined algos so that the H9 can also be used as a standalone unit without needing to hook up other effect pedals. That would make it even more flexible. Love the SpaceTime algo because of that.

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.