Select Algorithm via MIDI

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Select Algorithm via MIDI

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      jarvss

Hi,

Does anybody know if it’s possible to select an Algorithm rather than a patch using MIDI? 

Also is there a way to read via MIDI what the currently selected Algorithm is and also what the current value of each knob is?

I have made a MIDI controller with an Arduino that has 10 rotary encoders but the MIDI messaging seems very limitied in what I can do. 

Thanks

PJ

camn
      Participant

Hi!

I might save you the trouble.. 

I tried very hard to make my own controller that would reflect the knob position. I don’t think it can be done via MIDI at this time.. as a limitation of the H9. 

The H9 certainly sends that info on patch change via USB.. and via bluetooth… but I think it does NOT send it via midi.

I tried briefly to read the USB data dump.. but that got too crazy for me. 

I also couldn’t even get RELATIVE cc control to work right. The knobs were only absolute.

Maybe this can capability can be done with a future firmware update.. but for now I think it is impossible. 

BUT- please prove me wrong. I want this too!

jarvss
        camn wrote:

Hi!

I might save you the trouble.. 

I tried very hard to make my own controller that would reflect the knob position. I don’t think it can be done via MIDI at this time.. as a limitation of the H9. 

The H9 certainly sends that info on patch change via USB.. and via bluetooth… but I think it does NOT send it via midi.

I tried briefly to read the USB data dump.. but that got too crazy for me. 

I also couldn’t even get RELATIVE cc control to work right. The knobs were only absolute.

Maybe this can capability can be done with a future firmware update.. but for now I think it is impossible. 

BUT- please prove me wrong. I want this too!

Thanks, I suspected as much. To be honest building the MIDI controller was a bit of fun with the Arduino something that I’d been wanting to play around with for a while. I do now have a controller that resembles the Eventide Factor pedals (10 knobs, 3 footswitches and a screen) albeit that only works in one direction i.e. from controller to H9.

@Eventide – can we please get full MIDI info coming from the pedal and also accept algorithms into the pedal rather than just patches? 

brock
      Participant

I just stumbled upon this one yesterday (right under my very nose).  I didn’t get a chance to explore it, but it had me thinking there might be a Sysex equivalent.  [H9 Support -> FAQ -> General]

General F.A.Q. wrote:
      Q:  Is there a way to see the parameters of every knob in a saved preset?  

A:  Yes.  You can see them in the H9 Control app.  From the H9 itself, press and hold the X, Y, or Z button.  Then pressing the big knob will reveal the saved value of that parameter.

It could be a convoluted process, though, I suspect.  Hold X / Y / Z; virtual Big Knob press; increment value … Something to look into.  There has to be an easier way to extract all of the saved positions in a preset.

jarvss
        brock wrote:

I just stumbled upon this one yesterday (right under my very nose).  I didn’t get a chance to explore it, but it had me thinking there might be a Sysex equivalent.  [H9 Support -> FAQ -> General]

General F.A.Q. wrote:
        Q:  Is there a way to see the parameters of every knob in a saved preset?  

A:  Yes.  You can see them in the H9 Control app.  From the H9 itself, press and hold the X, Y, or Z button.  Then pressing the big knob will reveal the saved value of that parameter.

It could be a convoluted process, though, I suspect.  Hold X / Y / Z; virtual Big Knob press; increment value … Something to look into.  There has to be an easier way to extract all of the saved positions in a preset.

Hi thanks for taking the time to reply. 

I use this all of the time already but sadly this is exactly what I’m trying to get away from. My ideal is not having to press several buttons on the H9 and also not having to use my iPad. The MIDI controller I have built looks identical to a Factor pedal, 10 knobs, 3 footswitches and a screen. It was a bit of an experiment to see what is possible but it’s currently one way traffic though with the MIDI controller having no idea what the state of the H9 is at start-up. All that I can do is send a CC patch message to the H9 without any knowledge of what the algorithm is or what the current value of each of the 10 knobs are for that patch. It would seem this is not possible apart from with H9 Control App.

brock
        Participant
        jarvss wrote:

… I use this all of the time already but sadly this is exactly what I’m trying to get away from. My ideal is not having to press several buttons on the H9 and also not having to use my iPad …

I mentioned those button combinations as a possible doorway into controlling those functions via Sysex.  I don’t have the recipe for a solution; I’m exploring potential options.  I’ve been looking through my computers for ‘TJsysex’.  The link I have is broken.  The PresetFormatDescription.pdf link is still active.

http://ftp.eventide.com/ljdl/www/PresetFormatDescription.pdf

You’ll notice some interesting parameters packed inside [Product Type + Algorithm Index, Mknob values, etc.].  It confirms that Tempo is stored whether enabled or not.  And why a small % of expression pedal range doesn’t get stored.  What I haven’t been able to revisit is how this data would all translate into a *.syx file.

camn
      Participant

Yeah, I think it is not possible. 

Of course.. my thought, still not possible.. but with way LESS firmware updating needed….. Is to get RELATIVE midi CC messages supported, so you could use an infinite pot to nudge values… along with LANDSCAPE mode on the ios phone app (or better yet android!)… then you slot your phone into your controller for display purposes, coupled with knobs that change the values smoothly- and presto. Next level.

I don’t think getting a whole value-dump via 5-PIN MIDI is practical.. but if they do it that would be awesome. Its a TON of data though.. compared to what is sent with a preset change currently.. and of course could have crazy consequences if you have a complicated midi rig with other devices on the output side of the H9.

Maybe though.. sending it via MIDI out the USB bus would be possible?

We can but dream.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.