Set delay to continue to tail off, after preset change

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Set delay to continue to tail off, after preset change

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
      carlosmoreton
      Participant

Hello all,

Just wondering, I can't find in the manual how to make the Timefactor tail off it's delay sound after changing preset.

For example, if I had preset 2 to have 10 x delay repeats, I wouldlikew to set the Timefactor to continue the full 10 repeats after I have changed to another preset, like you would do at the end of 'dirt' solo, then going for example into a totally clean funky sound…

Surely the Timefactor is capable of doing this..??? 

Thanks in advance

Carl.

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

Hi Carl,

Yes you can do this, set the bypass mode to "DSP+DLY" this will allow trails.

the default is "DSP" which does not spillover.

Page 13 of the user manual takes you through the steps to set it to "DSP+DLY"

Cheers

Martin 

carlosmoreton
      Participant

Cheers matey.

Now you point it out there it is on page 13 jumping off the page   Smile

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post, much appreciated.

Regards

Carl

(Please visit http://www.alexfloyd.com to hear some of my songs)

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

No worries.

enjoy your TimeFactor Cool

carlosmoreton
      Participant

Mmmm, tried the settings on page 13 and still doesn't work.

I am using my Timeport in BANK mode, and calling up a few presets using a midi controller. 

I have also just updated my TP to v3 software this morning before I start programming it for gigs.

When in System mode, I have accessed BYP TYP and I have selected the option (DSP + FX) I assume this has been renamed in v3 software update from DSP + DLY.

But, I set a silly long delay on BANK 3:2 and then a short on on BANK 3:1 and when I play a chord on 3:2 and then trigger the preset change to 3:1 using my controller the delay does not 'spill' over…

Am I doing something silly here anyone…?

Thanks

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

hmmm, it's been a while since I have done this, I will have to try it on my Space later to see if it works as I remember.

sebastiank
      Participant

This sounds like its more related to the way that eventide units in general work. When you load up a preset it is essentially completely changing the box as the algorithm is being loaded. So if you had an effect  with delay then switched to a different one it will cut the previous effect short as it loads the new algorithm. Setting to DSP+Effect works fine when bypassing but if you want to change the effect it will cut it short. At least thats how it works in the harmonizers.

Cheers

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

when you hit "bypass" to turn the effect off….do you get the trails fading out?

Rather than changing presets??

carlosmoreton
      Participant

Yes, when hitting bypass the delay 'trails ' off, but I have the Timefactor in a rack and not on the floor so I have no access to the controls… 🙁

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

sebastiank:

This sounds like its more related to the way that eventide units in general work. When you load up a preset it is essentially completely changing the box as the algorithm is being loaded. So if you had an effect  with delay then switched to a different one it will cut the previous effect short as it loads the new algorithm. Setting to DSP+Effect works fine when bypassing but if you want to change the effect it will cut it short. At least thats how it works in the harmonizers.

Cheers

Yes, that's what I was thinking….I have not tried it between presets myself, only on the bypass on/off….but if you are loading different algorithms then I would not be surprised at all that it would not work.

if we are talking factory presets 3:1 and 3:2 then they are definitely different algorithms 3:1 is BandDelays and 3:2 is Reverse (IRRC —off the top of my head)  

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

carlosmoreton:

Yes, when hitting bypass the delay 'trails ' off, but I have the Timefactor in a rack and not on the floor so I have no access to the controls… 🙁

Ahhh, ok.

you can send bypass via MIDI CC# …..if that is any help??

I used to keep my TimeFactor in the Rack and send MIDI PC's and CC's via MIDI foot controller.

carlosmoreton
      Participant

Cheers matey, I'll have a think about it all.  Obviously I may have to just settle with the 'no' tail delay.

But, it's a bit s**** really.  I had this feature on gear several years ago and it was TC stuff not rubbish gear, but I didn't want to go back to rack stuff.  This time round I am switching pedals that just happen to be on a drawer in a small rack.

I read on another post somewhere on the web posted in 2007 where somneone had asked the same question about tailing delay after preset change, and the Eventide chap said they wanted to use all the internal power for the FX.

But, I am sure it's all possible now in 2011… My dishwasher probably has more processing power than the spacecraft that put people on the moon in the 60s.

Come on Eventide, bolt the 'delay tailing' on pretty please 🙂

Thanks for your help

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

In TimeFactor 3.0 ….do you have a SPILL option in the Utility menu?? just re-read the Space manual and this option does what you are talking about….just can't remember if it is in the TimeFactor code introduced after the last manual

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

YES!!!….

it was introduced in 2.0.3[2]…….

SpillOver
      SpillOver provides smooth transitions when changing Presets by fading the lingering echoes of one Preset into the echoes of the next Preset. SpillOver [SPILL] can be turned ON or OFF from the Utility section of the System menu (Default is OFF.)

http://www.eventide.com/Home/Eventide/AudioDivision/Products/StompBoxes/TimeFactorUpdate.aspx

carlosmoreton
      Participant

Hi there,

Just tried it, and it's rubbish.  Maybe the smooth transition is NOT having a click or similar, but if this is an UPDATE that allows the delay to carry on over the next selected preset until it's naturally decays then it's not very good.  Infact, it's no where near what players are after. Infact, it doesn't WORK.

As per my previous examples, I have just turned SPILL to 'ON' and the when I change the preset via my midi controller it's still just cuts the delay out, there is ZERO tail 'spilling over'.

I can not hear any difference between ON and OFF…

Am I missing something here…??

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

Have you tried it using the switches on the TimeFactor in Bank mode? I know you want to control it via MIDI….just trying to see if it is the way that MIDI is working with it or if it is the actual function?

carlosmoreton
      Participant

Yeah, I am using it in BANK mode.  IE send to change to 002 = Bank 1: Prest 2 etc

carlosmoreton
      Participant

I think I'll do a factory reset, then update again and see what happens.

There's just something not quite right as this should work.. Obviously user error, but is a bit frustrating now.  🙂

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

carlosmoreton:

Yeah, I am using it in BANK mode.  IE send to change to 002 = Bank 1: Prest 2 etc

No, sorry I meant use the switches on the TimeFactor to swap between presets and not the MIDI controller…..I know you don't want to do this long term…but it should help troubleshoot if the issue is in MIDI or the way the TimeFactor is working for you.

carlosmoreton
      Participant

Yes,  still doesn't seem to work even when just swapping presets with the buttons on the unit.

To be honest, I give up.  I have wasted too long on this today.

Thanks eventide for an easy to use / intuitive Timpeport.

If I can be arsed I'll pick this problem up again tomorrow and look into whatever otherwise I'll sell it and get something else.

badmelonfarmer, thanks for your help. 🙂

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

No worries man, hope you get it figured out.Big Smile

margat

I've got the same problem!

I've tryed with this settings:

– Spill-Off 

– Bypass type DSP+FX

Delay effect continue (with preset-feedback)  only swithing ON/OFF preset. 

Changing preset thrugh physical switch, or midi Program change, kill delay decay.

I'm really frustrated too….Sad

carlosmoreton
      Participant

Yeah, bit poor isn't it.  How can someone design a good delay that doesn't do this…???  Surprise

I have given up.  Hopefully they'll add a proper fix.

I did consider the external bypass to 'bypass' etc but whats the point of that when I am switchin gear, the whole point being one foot step and a change of sound.

But I don't get their 'Spill' setting, as it doesn't actually spill the delay over.

Eventide, go and find the gigging guitarist in your design team and get him involved.

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.