Setting a parameter with MIDI at program change

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Setting a parameter with MIDI at program change

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      terich
      Participant

Hi all, kinda racking my brain on this one. I am using a Morningstar MC8 to control my 2 H9s. I have an expression pedal going to the MC8 that delivers expression via midi to both of them. I’m trying to set a parameter via MIDI that is also controllable via expression. The expression works fine, but I can’t seem to get the value set initially. Here’s the algo and what I’ve tried:

Using Pitchfuzz, I want to default to -20 Fuzz Tone when I load it. I want the expression pedal range to be able to go from -64 to -20. I currently have the direction reversed, so that heel down is -20 and toe down is -64. That’s how I’d like to keep it.

I’ve tried sending a midi CC that corresponds with the EXP setting and that doesn’t work (though this same setup works with my pitchflex patch). I’ve also tried sending CC on channel 22, which is configured to change parameter 2, and that also doesn’t do anything.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff
      terich wrote:
      Using Pitchfuzz, I want to default to -20 Fuzz Tone when I load it. I want the expression pedal range to be able to go from -64 to -20. I currently have the direction reversed, so that heel down is -20 and toe down is -64. That's how I'd like to keep it.

Make sure these ranges are programmed in the preset itself. Easiest way is using H9 Control, where you can use the ribbon strip to ensure the range goes from -20 to -64 as you move the strip to the right.

terich wrote:
      I've tried sending a midi CC that corresponds with the EXP setting and that doesn't work (though this same setup works with my pitchflex patch). I've also tried sending CC on channel 22, which is configured to change parameter 2, and that also doesn't do anything.

Have you checked to make sure that the CC# you are using to map the expression/ribbon controller are not conflicting with something else? On H9 Control, if you go to PEDAL SETTING > MIDI SETTINGS > Assign MIDI CC messages to pedal functions…make sure "Set express pedal value" is set to its own CC # not already in use by something else. This is the CC# that should be programmed on the Morningstar expression input.

It's better to program expression mappings using the ribbon controller, rather than trying to send expression control to an individual parameter. This way you don't have to reprogram the Morningstar everytime you want to control an H9 parameter, but rather you can leave it to the general CC that controls expression and simply change it on the H9 Control side.

terich
      Participant

Oh, fantastic. I didn’t think to save the ribbon controller for my starting value. That worked perfectly! Thank you!

jasperhoiby
      Participant

Hello there 🙂

I have a very similar problem to the above. I have calibrated my MC3 to my expression pedal. Managed to get it controlling two H9’s but somehow it doesn’t lock in with the parameters I have set with my presets. Instead it controls other parameters (seemingly random). When I plug the expression directly in to the H9 it controls all the parameters just as expected. Anyone have any idea? 

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Are you sure that the CC# programmed on the expression input of the MC3 correspond to the cc# assigned to the “Expression pedal value” on the H9? You could be sending CC#s that correspond to a specific parameter rather than the general expression/ribbon controller of the H9.

jasperhoiby
      Participant

I’m not quite sure that’s the problem. I works on some of the Presets but on others, where the parameter is it just says – EXPRESSION PEDAL MAPPINGS ARE DISSABLED WHEN THE PRESET READS DIRECTLY FROM THE EXPRESSION PEDAL..

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.