Signal is increased/clipping on H9 when changing from post to pre

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Signal is increased/clipping on H9 when changing from post to pre

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      rck
      Participant

Love this latest update and every new option I’ve tried, nice work fellas and all the newly added functionality is a LOT and a big bonus.

I encountered a high pitch “squealing” noise when switching to CrushStation presets on the first occasion Tues. and after troubleshooting some more yesterday and today, have narrowed down some consistent behaviour.  This only happens when switching FROM Post TO Pre.  The noise is consistent whether switching from post to pre using the same presets or from one preset to another and it does it whether controlling the pedal from the Control App, the H9 itself or a Midi controller.

There is a momentary increase of the signal when switching from post to pre on every Algo (10 or so) I tried. The increase in signal/noise is not as bad and is not as audible for Delays and Verbs, but with the EQ Compressor the noise was more like a “click” and with CrushStation it can be a high squeal/ear piercing/clipping sound.  I turned the Sustain to off, and Drive to off and the noise/clipping decreased using CrushStation.

My signal is 4cm to the effects loop of my Mesa amp, no other pedals, expression pedal input, midi input are being used or are in the signal path.  I followed the Eventide Instructional video and have the system setting set to Pre/Post, Source Instrument is Guitar, all the input/output levels are at the lowest value in the Input Gain/Level Master settings.

Please advise.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

This is one we have also discovered and will not be easy to fix. The problem is that the Crush uses most of the dsp power, and does not leave enough to perform the necessary crossfade when changing PRE/POST.

We're working on it, but do not have a fix date at this time.

wedelich
      Eventide Staff

1.  Does this only occur when you are actually pushing signal into the H9 (playing guitar), or does it occur when there is silence as well? 

2. Does it make a difference whether the Gate in CrushStation or EQCompressor is ON or OFF? 

rck
        Participant
        wedelich wrote:

1.  Does this only occur when you are actually pushing signal into the H9 (playing guitar), or does it occur when there is silence as well? 

2. Does it make a difference whether the Gate in CrushStation or EQCompressor is ON or OFF? 

Thanks for the prompt replies gents,

1.  Yes, with guitar volume OFF the noise still occurs.

2.  The Gate will reduce the signal (making the increase in signal inaudible with some Algos) but not so much with the clipping noise.

After double checking the answers to your questions and testing the H9 some more, I noticed some CrushStation presets will make the high pitch noise when switching from post to pre within itself and others it will not.

Also, I get the high pitch noise when switching from one CrushStation preset (in post) to another preset (in pre) but testing those same presets within themselves as mentioned above, the noise will not occur…

rck
        Participant
        wedelich wrote:

I posted my results, any news?  

danisev2001

I noticed exactly the same clipping noise. The pre/post function is awesome but this problem make it unuseful for gigs. I hope you will be able to fix it. 

Best Regards, Daniel.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.