Simplest MIDI setup for 2 x H9 ?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Simplest MIDI setup for 2 x H9 ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      timmyo

I’m being a big brave boy ( 😉 ) already going down the multifx route, and now bracing mysef to consider midi.

What kind of device would be a simple way to control 2 H9s ? Or is it the case that a single midi pedal can effectively control 2 at once as the midi passes through both devices and each responds accordingly with its different settings ? (if that makes sense)

Help me Even-Wan, you’re my only hope… 

madmac
      Participant

I have 2 x H9’s and a TF and am just controlling with aux switches. Cheaper and you can assign everything through h9 control. I would check out the options in H9 control app Aux switches to see if that’s all you need before going midi. If you need more than this there are quite a few small pedalboard friendly midi controllers in the market like these:
      http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/effects/midimouse.html
      http://www.disasterareaamps.com/shop/dmc-3
      http://www.one-control.com/gecko-midi-switcher.html

mwe
      Participant

Use one H9 as your controller. The H9 can be configured to output a MIDI Program Change when a preset is selected. It’s not in the app so you’ll have to dive into the menus on the box. You can set each preset on H9 #1 to output a PC that will load a preset on H9 #2. You can also tell it not to output a PC for specific presets. With a little planning you can set things up to work quite well and save yourself some pedalboard space.

SadkenUK
        mwe wrote:

Use one H9 as your controller. The H9 can be configured to output a MIDI Program Change when a preset is selected. It’s not in the app so you’ll have to dive into the menus on the box. You can set each preset on H9 #1 to output a PC that will load a preset on H9 #2. You can also tell it not to output a PC for specific presets. With a little planning you can set things up to work quite well and save yourself some pedalboard space.

This is a great piece of advice – i’ve just purchased a Peak Midi controller for basically doing exactly this, but if i don’t need it then that’s great!! Can you or anyone else elaborate on how to get this setup at all? Driving 2 H9s etc…

SadkenUK
        SadkenUK wrote:

mwe wrote:

This is a great piece of advice – i’ve just purchased a Peak Midi controller for basically doing exactly this, but if i don’t need it then that’s great!! Can you or anyone else elaborate on how to get this setup at all? Driving 2 H9s etc…

Just to clarify – are you talking about there being a need for an Aux switch to drive 2 H9s, or can you hook one up to the other via a midi cable directly or something to allow pedal 1 to automatically switch presets on pedal 2 when you go up or down between presets?

mwe
        Participant
        SadkenUK wrote:
        Just to clarify – are you talking about there being a need for an Aux switch to drive 2 H9s, or can you hook one up to the other via a midi cable directly or something to allow pedal 1 to automatically switch presets on pedal 2 when you go up or down between presets?

The latter. You can connect two or more H9s via MIDI, sync the clocks to one unit then use it to control presets on all of them. There are some compromises you have to make, it’s not quite as flexible as a full on MIDI controller but it’s very serviceable. I’m tied up this afternoon but may have some time this evening to write up something. Everything is covered pretty well in the Eventide manuals but I think some of the pedal’s functionality gets overlooked because it’s not yet available via the app. Eventide really ought to address that.

lespaul58
        Participant
        mwe wrote:

This is EXACTLY what I need to do, can anyone provide a detailed explanation of how to achieve this as I’m a total buffoon where midi is concerned.

timmyo

Thanks folks.

Yes I have Aux switches on the way – intrigued by the options midi brings though. As you say probably best to experiment a bit first.

If just using Aux switches is it possible for unit #1 to share its tap tempo with #2 if they are themselves connected with a midi cable? 

thanks again

Tim

mwe
      Participant

This covers most of it.  The rest can be done via the app.

https://www.eventideaudio.com/community/forum/stompboxes/2-h9-midi-question

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.