Slow auto panning

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Slow auto panning

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      espen
      Participant

I have been playing with the H9 tremolo pan algo and have a question.

Im mostly interested in the pan part and not so much the tremolo, although im not really sure about the difference.

What i want to do is have the left signal slowly pan from left to right while the right signal pan from right to left, at a slow rate.

Is this even possible in a guitar pedal? 

Imagine recording some layers of ambient synth in a daw. And to modulate each layer you can use an lfo or auto pan however you like, just to add slow and sublte changes.

As a guitar player im doing much looping with delays, ambient stuff so the idea is to create subtle changes in the stereo field. 

There seems to be hundreds of tremolo pedals (but these are effects, that drastically changes the sound because of the fast rate), but something as simple as a stereo pan pedal which can go at a really slow rate doesnt exist?

Now back to the Tremolo Pan preset on the H9, when using the slowest rate and a sine wave with witdh all the way up theres no sound from the left channel. Its being panned from the center to the right while the left is silent. I dont understand if it is a true stereo output why would this happen when set to the lowest rate? If i increase the rate sound is coming from both LR. Maybe it behaves more like a tremolo than a panner. Im not an expert so im not really sure what to expect or to say somethng is wrong. 

Anyways, if someone understands what im trying to accomplish please let me know if you have any ideas how to achieve this. Thanks.   

brock
      Participant
      espen wrote:
      … Now back to the Tremolo Pan preset on the H9, when using the slowest rate and a sine wave with witdh all the way up theres no sound from the left channel. Its being panned from the center to the right while the left is silent. I dont understand if it is a true stereo output why would this happen when set to the lowest rate? If i increase the rate sound is coming from both LR …

That’s strange.  First, I thought it was that Width was less than 100 (you stated it isn’t).  Then, I was guessing it was the Channel One (left) cabling, but you’ve said it behaves correctly with higher rates.

I haven’t noticed this issue, or had a chance to test it out yet, but I have a quick question:  By “slowest rate”, are you setting this at 1.00 Hz. [Tempo Off], or 1/4 [Tempo On]?

espen
        Participant
        brock wrote:

espen wrote:
        … Now back to the Tremolo Pan preset on the H9, when using the slowest rate and a sine wave with witdh all the way up theres no sound from the left channel. Its being panned from the center to the right while the left is silent. I dont understand if it is a true stereo output why would this happen when set to the lowest rate? If i increase the rate sound is coming from both LR …

That’s strange.  First, I thought it was that Width was less than 100 (you stated it isn’t).  Then, I was guessing it was the Channel One (left) cabling, but you’ve said it behaves correctly with higher rates.

I haven’t noticed this issue, or had a chance to test it out yet, but I have a quick question:  By “slowest rate”, are you setting this at 1.00 Hz. [Tempo Off], or 1/4 [Tempo On]?

Yes, thats correct. Tempo off. Minimum rate With the slow/fast button set to “slow”.

brock
        Participant
        espen wrote:
        … Yes, thats correct. Tempo off. Minimum rate With the slow/fast button set to “slow”.

That’s an important point (I didn’t consider it before you mentioned it).  I believe that would be 10X slower than the set SPEED [0.1 Hz. @ a 1.00 Hz. value].  I tried this out last night; I don’t quite know what to make of it.  With a SINE SHAPE, I’m hearing the left side ‘linger’ at no volume, while the right side spends some extra time ‘peaking’.  That is what I’d expect from a SINE waveform.

I also used the Output Meters in H9 Control to visually confirm what I was hearing.  The extremely low rate can be deceiving, though, so I need some more time to draw conclusions here.  I also got some unexpected results when switching to other LFO waveforms (like SQUARE).  That might be due to where the waveform(s) start their cycle.  I’ll check back in here when I have more to contribute.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.