Smashing Pumpkins’ crunch modulated tone of the Machina era on H9?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Smashing Pumpkins’ crunch modulated tone of the Machina era on H9?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      PaoloSMN
      Participant

Any Chorus settings suggestions to achieve Corgan’s modulated crunch tone of the Machina album? I’ve been experimenting a bit and I’ve come up with this but I’m not totally satisfied with it.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      PaoloSMN
      Participant

Sorry, I maxed out my H9 just recently and I didn’t even consider to try the new avaliable algorithms. Then, after browsing around,  I’ve tried this setting of the Modechoverb (that offers a lush reverb too) that gets quite close. I just wish the modulation was even closer to the record. I have only used the Strymon deco to OD. No other effects. Any suggestion is more than welcome. Thanks in advance.

PaoloSMN
      Participant

I of the mourning

PaoloSMN
      Participant

Anyone any tip? I guess the second has just some flanger more. Any suggestion to achieve something similiar?

apalazzolo
      Participant

That SP tone has a LOT of stuff on it.  With only one H9 available, I’d use Spacetime for reverb, delays, and chorus.  It’s not really true, but I tend to think of it as a more capable ModEchoVerb.

Note that Spacetime has a Pedal View (see upper left corner of the preset screen to toggle back and forth). And, the reverb and delay “level” control magically reconfigure the pedal arrangement (only seen in “Pedal View”) for different sounds.  Delay in parallel with reverb sounds different than delay in series with reverb.

I’d put distortion before your H9 with whatever preset you land on.

Good luck.

apalazzolo
      Participant

Also, the verse (far less reverb and maybe no delay) and chorus (tons of reverb and delay) tones are very different.  You can use the hotswitch in Spacetime to set up a second sound, and then toggle between the two for verses and chorus’.  Note that the delay trails will not spillover.  They will be cut short when switching to the second sound.

If you want the delay to spillover when toggling between two sounds (with an expression pedal controlling the ribbon controller) you need to use Pitchfuzz (sorry, no reverb but it does have a fuzz) or UltraTap (sorry, no chorus but slurm’d delay/reverb would be a good fit).   I have attached two examples for you  (modify them to taste).  In PitchFuzz the bottom end of the range is 1.2 voices.

Attachments:
      PaoloSMN
      Participant

Thank you very much!

PaoloSMN
      Participant

Sorry for bumping the thread but I’d have one more question: is there a way to link the mod rate to the tempo? I have tried both modechoverb and Spacetime but the tap tempo only affects other parameters. Am I wrong or did I miss something in the manual?

apalazzolo
      Participant

I’m no expert on this but I think the answer is no and I don’t even know how one would tap tempo something like a chorus.  As I understand it, chorus is about 4 to 20 milliseconds or some such.  How do you tap 4 milliseconds?

Two things somewhat related:

1. It’s not tapping, but one could use an expression pedal and the ribbon controller to vary both the mod rate and the delay time simultaneously.  You could do the same with the hotswitch.

2. It’s not tapping, but you could also vary both the mod rate and the delay time simultaneously using MIDI.

I prolly missed your point, no?

PaoloSMN
      Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Many algorhitms do have time sync with tempo. I.e. Chorus.</p>

If you listen to the SP song that I’ve posted, the heavy chorus that kicks in at 0:23 it’s clearly synchronized in quarters.

Attachments:
      apalazzolo
      Participant

I think I did misunderstand your last question.  Looking at the chorus example you give,  I’m not aware of a similar feature in either Spacetime or Modechoverb.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.