Space Aux Switch

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Space Aux Switch

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      lbj273

When using an auxiliary switch with the space allow you to scroll through presets both ways, or is it the same as the other factor pedals and you can only go up?

you can set space and the other factors to go up or down using the aux switches

wedelich
      Eventide Staff

I would suggest setting the aux switches to FS1, FS2, FS3.  This will always configure the aux switches for Preset Mode when the stompbox switches are in Play Mode or put the aux switches in Play Mode when the stompbox switches are in Preset Mode.  It's automatic.   This way you have the full functionality of both modes at the same time. 

-Russ

Har
      Participant

Not to mention: Space has switches right on it to scroll both up and down through the presets, without needing the aux switches to do it (compared to, say, the PitchFactor which only has the switch on it to scroll up).

timothyhill

lbj273, you might want to take a look at the Space User Manual, which is available in the Support section of Eventide's site…

http://eventide.com/AudioDivision/Support/Stompboxes/Space.aspx

Har's correct that Space is set up differently than the other Factors. It's 3 switches are Select, Up, and Down. Rabiddiabetic13's correct, too, that you can use AuxSwitches to go Up or Down on any of the Factors. As Wedelich suggests, there is a lot more that you can do with AuxSwitches attached to the Space or any other Factor. That's all detailed in the User Manual.

lbj273

My issue is scrolling then having to hit the bypass switch to actually change presets. It makes for very clunky usage live. I was hoping using aux footswitches would allow me to get past that.

timothyhill

I know what you mean, basically, wanting to step through the presets in sequential fashion either up or down. Unfortunately, that's not possible with any of the Factors, with or without AuxSwitches. The previous Factors had 2 presets available in one bank, but even with an AuxSwitch, you still had to select one of them after changing banks in either direction.

I think the dilemma is that, if the next or previous preset was instantly activated, there wouldn't be any way to get to non-sequential presets without going through every preset between. Given that each preset takes a small amount of time to load, moving through 20 presets could take somewhat longer and would definitely be clunky for live use. If there were only 2 or 3 presets, it wouldn't be a big deal, but each of the Factors has 100 presets (you can limit the number available, though).

The alternative method, selecting which preset you want and then activating it, may take 2 (or more) taps of a footswitch, but that's the method that's been in use by almost all MIDI addressable devices since MIDI was introduced. Arguably, this is much more flexible; you wouldn't be tied to a sequential order of presets.

A possible solution would be to incorporate a MIDI Controller, one that could allow you to instantly access several presets (depending on the size and capabilities of the controller).

Another alternative is to suggest that Eventide adds something like a "preset activation mode" option to the Utility settings. Not necessarily a bad idea, but it might be confusing for some users.

virtuoso
      Participant

Am I the only one who thinks this is a really clumsy and potentially confusing way of configuring the switches?

It makes no sense to me that Aux Up/Down doesn't work when the pedal is in Play mode. I don't want to have to remember that the switch clearly labeled UP is actually sometimes Tap Tempo depending on the mode the pedal is in – my board is complicated enough already. Why not just give us the option to dedicate the Aux switches to up/down/bypass regardless of mode, so we can then leave the pedal permanently in Play mode and get the full functionality of all the switches without their functionality flipping?

timothyhill

I always leave my Factors in Play mode with aux switches set to UP and DOWN (bypass is still available in Play mode on the pedal itself).

timothyhill

Let me clarify a litte… first, I wasn't meaning to be short, so I hope I haven't ruffled any feathers and if I have, please accept my apology.

I meant to say that I leave my Factors in Bank mode with the AuxSwitches set to (on the TF) Down, Repeat, and Tap. (MF, PF & Space follow suit with the AuxSwitches handling the Play mode switches on each pedal).

Basically, with the AuxSwitches, there are 6 switches for each pedal. Each pedal always has Preset-A, Preset-B, Bank Up, Bank Down, Repeat (etc), and Tap. Everything is always available at all times. I may be missing something, but the only distinction I see is where each switch is located (on the pedal vs. on the AuxSwitch). I use gaffer tape to label the AuxSwitches, which keeps me from getting confused.

Again, I'm really not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers, so please don't take it that way, but what am I missing here? I'm not saying that you don't have a point, only that I really just don't understand it and I would like to.

You got me on this one Tim.  I can't get bank down to work in Play mode.  I can get bank up if I set one of the aux switches to FS3.  How are you choosing the preset within the bank?

My setup for Modfactor is I leave it in preset mode and my aux switches are

bank down, 

tap,

slow/fast/break

Anthony

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

it's a though one, with no right or wrong answer…however they implement it there will always be someone else who wants it a different way.

The other problem it keeping the number of switches to a minimum other wise the boxes get too big.

Design v Function

How about a ground control sized foot controller with decent MIDI capabilities but also has all the functionality of the Factors in it… kinda like a floor version of the Eclipse..?? hmmm would that be a good thing?

Guess it might be too complicated.

Tim a wrote my post before yours was posted.

Yes I do it exactly the way you have yours setup.  

Always look forward to your take on things.

Thanks,

Anthony

timothyhill

Anthony, sorry, my typo there… I corrected myself last night, but I think our posts crossed each other. You're right, bank down doesn't work in Play mode. Sounds like you've got your AuxSwitch setup exactly as I do.

Floor version of the Eclipse??? Yeah, I'd probably buy it, but just because I'm hopelessly addicted.

tom baxter

So how do you set it up ? 

i am completely perplexed at how complicated this whole AUX pedal set up is?

i want my AUX pedal to control functions on my eventide SPACE 

can anybody help me?? is there a step by step guide (the manual not working)

i bought an fs300 and using with stereo 1/4 inch jack and i simply can't get it to work

gkellum
      Participant

tom baxter:

i am completely perplexed at how complicated this whole AUX pedal set up is?

It should be really easy to set-up. There was a bug in the v5.0.0[0] release of Space which caused Aux switches not to work on newer Spaces.  Maybe, you have that release installed on a newer Space and that's why you're running into so many problems?  If you go into Space's system settings, it will tell you under Utilities which version you have installed. Also, H9 Control will tell you which version you have installed when you go into Pedal settings. If that is in fact the problem, you should upgrade to the latest release 5.0.0[4] which you can download through our updating software, which should fix the issue.

KCStratman
      Participant

I had the exact same problem with aux switch control of my Space until got the 5.0.4 update yesterday.

gkellum
      Participant

lbj273:

When using an auxiliary switch with the space allow you to scroll through presets both ways, or is it the same as the other factor pedals and you can only go up?

You can go up and down with an Aux switch with Space. You can also do that with the other Factor pedals as well with an Aux switch.

tom baxter

Great thanks for the reply 

i only bought the pedal a matter of weeks ago and updated the software then to use the H9 (well i thought so anyhow???)

Mr EVENTIDE are we the only people using AUX switches?.. . surely this should be made common knowledge… as i have pulled my hair out trying to work out what was going on!! arrrggh !! 

thanks for letting me know all the same 

tb

tom baxter

… and how frustrating was it!! 

blimey – I'm sure technology shouldn't be this time consuming!!

thanks mate 

tb

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.