Space + Aux Switches?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Space + Aux Switches?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      virtuoso
      Participant

I got my Space yesterday (phenomenal pedal by the way!) and today went to get a Digitech FS3X to make preset switching a bit easier. I want to retain the ability to use the Hotswitch, Tap Tempo and Bypass on the main pedal but step through presets using the Aux switches.

I've programmed the Aux switches as Pre+, Pre- and Ply/Pre but there's a gotcha. The aux Pre+ and Pre- switches only seem to work when the pedal is in Pre mode. If I still have to keep switching between Play and Preset modes, that rather defeats the object of having external switches. Is there a setting I've missed somewhere?

timothyhill

You know, I would have thought that the Aux Switches would have worked that way, too, but you're right; they don't. Instead, try setting one of the switches to FS2 and another to FS3. Then, when you're in play mode, those 2 switches will step up and down through the presets. When you're in preset mode, they'll act as the Hot Switch (FS2) and the Tap Tempo (FS3). Basically, this setting is the Aux Switch as the opposite of the switch on the pedal in either mode. Hope this helps…

virtuoso
      Participant

So if I've been playing a patch with hotswitch functionality and just want to move to the next one, even though I have external switches dedicated to inc/dec presets, the process is:-

– Press Ply/Pre to switch to Pre mode

– Press up or down to move to the new patch

– Press bypass to confirm

– Press Ply/Pre to get back to being able to use the hotswitch again

That seems rather clunky. And the only alternative is to have the external and pedal switches flip functionality depending on what mode you're in? That could get confusing on stage.

I'm still sure I must be doing something wrong as the above method makes no sense to me, but if that's the way it is, Eventide – can we get the option to dedicate the Aux switches to Pre+/Pre- regardless of what mode the pedal is in?

timothyhill

Why would you have to switch modes? I mean, couldn't you leave the pedal in preset mode and use the Aux Switches to access the Hot Switch (and Tap Tempo, and one other function)?

Pedal Switch 1: Bypass/Active

Pedal Switch 2: Preset Down

Pedal Switch 3: Preset Up

Aux Switch 1: ?????

Aux Switch 2: Hot Switch

Aux Switch 3: Tap Tempo

All the switches would be available all the time… no need to switch modes.

virtuoso
      Participant

That would be a workaround I suppose but I would rather just have the buttons do what they say.

Maybe I'm just being anal, but it should be a simple enough thing to fix with an update, so that Aux switches set to Pre+/Pre- work regardless of pedal mode. More elegant than plastering my board with post it notes. Huh?

alinquist

I know this thread is very old but I'd also like to express my displeasure with the inability to use aux switches for +/- in play mode. I believe the issue is more than just a preference but an actual issue when playing live. In play mode, I'm able to tell if the hotswitch settings are engaged because then light turns orange.  If I have to settle for being bank mode and using an aux switch to engage the hotswitch function, the hotswitch light doesn't turn orange so I have no way of judging whether I'm in the regular preset settings or the hotswitch settings except trying to guess by the sound I'm hearing. On a noisy stage through monitors that's not always easy but the audience, of course, gets the full mix and can always tell. I should be able to tell what my setting are by quick down at the lights and shouldn't have to guess.

wedelich
      Eventide Staff

Actually, you can use the aux switches for +/- preset change in play mode.  You just need to assign them to FS1, FS2, and FS3.  These assign the opposite mode functions to the aux switches.  So, when you are in Play mode, the aux switches have Bank mode functionality and vice versa.   You can also explicitly assign Pre+ and Pre-  to aux switches as well. 

Apologies if this wasn't clear from the manual. 

alinquist

I'm not able to do what you saying. When I assign the aux switch to control when Bank +/- (either though assigning them to FS1, FS2 & FS3 or setting the aux buttons to the particular function) and try to use it in play mode, the presets will switch up and down but they can't be activated.  The pedal changes back to the previous preset within about a second or so.  Even pressing the activate button on the pedal very quickly (while the new preset number is on the display) will not switch to the new preset. Pressing the activate button just send the pedal to bypass rather than engaging the new preset. The aux buttons don't function the same way the FS2 and FS3 function in bank mode.

Others have mentioned the same problem I am talking about so I know I'm not the only one dealing with this issue (http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=910058). If there is something simple I'm missing, please let me know.  But I'd love it if someone would actually sit down with a pedal and try to perform the action I'm talking. I know the manual seems to suggest it can be done but I have the newest software update and I can't do it.

wedelich
      Eventide Staff

Presets don't load automatically after you bank up or down.  You need to assign FS1 to one of the aux switches in order to do the load.  Also, make sure you don't have two functions assigned to the same aux switch.  For example don't assign both FS2 and Pre+ to the same switch.  You might just want to make sure you're not double assigning. 

alinquist

Thanks for taking the time to reply – your response to your customers is great.  I got my pedal to function as you described.  It seems like the way things are set up, in order to use bank +/- on the aux switches, you also have to have an activate button on the aux swtiches. I do wish that wasn't the case because it prevents me from being able to use a 5 button controller to control my Space and Timefactor (with the tap tempo going to both – similar to E5 pedal from this1smyne).  In my ideal world, the activate function on the pedal itself should be useable after going bank +/- on the aux switches but I also recognize you don't always get everything you want in life. Just a suggestion for the future if it's even possible with the software scheme Eventide uses for the Space.

Again thanks for your help. I definitely love my Space and Timefactor.

virtuoso
      Participant

wedelich:

Actually, you can use the aux switches for +/- preset change in play mode.  You just need to assign them to FS1, FS2, and FS3.  These assign the opposite mode functions to the aux switches.  So, when you are in Play mode, the aux switches have Bank mode functionality and vice versa.   You can also explicitly assign Pre+ and Pre-  to aux switches as well. 

Apologies if this wasn't clear from the manual. 

Awesome – my Aux switches are now set up exactly how I wanted them. Cool

alinquist

No, you cannot set the Space up the way I want it set up.  What I want is the ability to operate the pedal in play mode with the aux switches as: pre+, pre-, and tap tempo (even though play mode has a tap tempo on the pedal, I'm using external tap tempo so it sends the signal to both my Space and my Timefactor).

The Space does not currently allow a person to scroll presets +/- on the aux switches and then activate the new preset with FS1 on the pedal itself.  In order for a preset called up on the aux switches to be activated, you have to have an aux switch assigned to FS1 on alternate mode (but I don't have room for that because one of my three aux switch buttons needs to be tap tempo so it will signal to both my Space and my Timefactor).  What I want is for FS1 on the pedal itself (in play mode) to be able to activate a preset called up with a pre+ or pre- on the aux switches.  Mine cannot presently do that. I have tried it many times and it's not oversight or something the manual was not clear about.  Unless someone is willing to sit down with a pedal and physically accomplish what I saying, I would appreciate not receiving a response post telling me that it is possible.

I have no intention of being difficult or argumentative. I only want to clear so that you know exactly what I'm trying to do and what I'm requesting for future updates (if it's possible within your software scheme).  Thanks again for taking the time to interact with me.

wedelich
      Eventide Staff

Sorry, I wasn't understanding what you wanted from your previous description(s).  I think I get it now.

Here's a possible workaround in the meantime: 

Just tap tempo on either your Space or TF in play mode on the pedal and send the tempo to the other pedal over a MIDI cable using MIDICLK.  This way, you have Play on the pedal, Preset mode on the Aux Switches, and you're still able to have your pedals tempo-synced. 

tom baxter

God this is complicated ! 

i am trying to do a similar thing – shouldn't this be an easy thing to do.

i think Eventide have underestimated how many people would want to use the Space Aux for functionality ease.

it is a real mish mash and wasting a lot of peoples time.

(despite the fact that it is a great pedal)

t

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.