Space–can’t get expression pedal to work

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Space–can’t get expression pedal to work

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      DrBB
      Participant

I'm using an m-audio EX-P pedal. I'm trying to use it to control (primarily at the moment) the Mix level, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Haven't tried this for quite a while, but I know I did have it working; now it doesn't. Followed the instructions  (set knob to min, pedal in heel position; set knob to max, pedal in toe position); use pedal and nothing happens. Expression pedal is good–tested it on another device and it works fine. I thought maybe i needed to recalibrate it in the Space Utility menu, and here's where it gets really frustrating. In the documentation there is supposedly an item in the Utility menu called PEDAL-CAL. 

NO THERE ISN'T.

I have PEDAL-LOCK, and that's it as far as "pedal-anything" goes. 

Other symptoms: the green "edited" light stays solid, doesn't flash the way it's supposed to.

Feeling really stupid, but this should be pretty simple and I'm at a loss. Thanks for any help.

gkellum
      Participant

There's a polarity switch on the bottom of that pedal. Have you tried flipping it to the other setting? We have one of those in the office, and it only works if the polarity is set correctly.

DrBB
      Participant

YES!!!! That did it! I knew it had to be something simple, but I had never even noticed that switch. Probably got flipped when I was carrying the bugger around in my kit bag. THANK YOU!

DrBB
      Participant

I am still curious what happened to PEDAL-CAL though. Maybe isn't needed any more so removed from recent versions of the software and documentation not updated yet? As an erstwhile tech writer I know the feeling…

gkellum
      Participant

The PEDAL-CAL option should be there in the latest Space software, i.e. v5.  I don't have a Space in front of me, or I'd bring it up right now. But are you running the latest release or an earlier release? B/c I do believe that was new to Space in the latest release.

DrBB
      Participant

I'm running 4.0. Can you give me a link to v5–all I see on the download page is H9 (same thing?)

DrBB
      Participant

Also, can you tell me why it doesn't seem to work consistently across presets? The main thing I want to do is control the Mix level. That works in some presets but not in others. For instance preset 19. Nebula seems to be fixed on having the pedal control SIZE and won't let it control MIX.

Appreciate all your help!

gkellum
      Participant

To update to v5, you can either download the Eventide Direct Updater from the Space support page (http://www.eventide.com/AudioDivision/Support/Stompboxes/Space.aspx) or you can download H9 Control from the H9 support page (http://www.eventide.com/AudioDivision/Support/Stompboxes/H9.aspx).  If you launch either of those apps with your Space connected, they'll take care of downloading and installing v5.

If you're having trouble changing the expression pedal mapping, I'd recommend hooking up your Space to H9 Control. It will show what's currently mapped to the expression pedal (and for Nebula it is sized), and it makes it easy to remove mappings and add new ones. The manual explains how in the "Programming the Expression Pedal Patch" section: 

http://eventide.com/AudioDivision/Products/StompBoxes/H9ControlUG1.aspx

DrBB
      Participant

Thanks–got the update installed now. Do I need to buy a new piece of hardware for what you're suggesting?

gkellum
      Participant

DrBB:

Thanks–got the update installed now. Do I need to buy a new piece of hardware for what you're suggesting?

What do you mean? For hooking up Space to H9 Control?  No, all the Factor pedals work with H9 Control now.  We'll probably rename the app at some point…

DrBB
      Participant

Guess I'm off to download an app then! Thanks again

DrBB
      Participant

Only it requires BLuetooth an dI don't see anything about Bluetooth in the documentation for my Space. Do all models have that? Mine's maybe a year or two old at this point…

gkellum
      Participant

It doesn't require Bluetooth. You can hook up an H9 to it via Bluetooth, but you can hook a Space up to it with USB. You should just need to connect your Space to your computer with USB and launch the app and it will find it as described in the manual:

http://eventide.com/AudioDivision/Products/StompBoxes/H9ControlUG1.aspx

DrBB
      Participant

Got it–clear enough. Thanks!

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.