Space HotSwitch “Morph” speed ideas

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Space HotSwitch “Morph” speed ideas

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Har
      Participant

I thought it might be a good idea to perhaps break out Noah's idea concerning the possibility of a HotSwitch "morph" functionality originally posted last month in the "ModEchoVerb Echo-vs-Reverb Balance / Space Suggestion" thread….into its own thread so others might be able to discuss as well who might have missed it….I think it's definitely a great idea worthy of discussion. 🙂

Below is Noah's original post, followed by some of my own ideas that I posted afterward:

Noah wrote:
      "- Hotswitch lerp…so that when the hotswitch is pressed the unit would smoothly morph between the assigned parameter settings, maybe based on an independently adjustable time/rate setting? The expression pedal allows for this kind of control, but it'd be neat to achieve a similar effect with a single switch press, in some circumstances."

Har wrote:

"+1 on Noah's idea for some kind of HotSwitch morph parameters – I was actually just about to post some ideas on that in a separate thread but saw it here. 🙂

I imagine a HotSwitch transition/morph mode would need to be set up at preset-level as opposed to a global setting; perhaps the settings could be a sub-menu accessed the same way as the [HOTSW CLEAR] function by pressing both the HotSwitch and the encoder – and then drilling down further from there.

From there, perhaps a [HOTSW MODE] menu could be available, where you could select:

* TOGGLE – the current default HotSwitch Mode
          * MORPH – the ability to have the two sets of HotSwitch parameter values change by a determined rate over time. Depending on how the TEMPO Mode was set for the preset at hand, it could be set by either seconds or be note-length based, similar to the various algo's Decay values.

From there, there could maybe also be a [MORPH CURVE] menu, where you could select:

* LINEAR – the parameter changes occur in a smooth linear manner between the two sets of values.
          * EXPONENTIAL – the parameter changes sweep through initially slowly, and pick up speed towards the end of the morph.

Of course, one could argue that you can already achieve these kinds of changes using an expression pedal. However, having the ability morph between two sets of values over time like this would give us even more creative control flexibility simultaneously.

For example: imagine a preset based on the Shimmer algo where the SIZE parameter could be controlled this way, while the A and B pitch-shifters could be controlled Whammy-style with an expression pedal, with the preset set to Tempo Mode.

Then imagine you step on the HotSwitch right on the down-beat: the SIZE parameter could slowly increase over, say, four or eight (or more) bars in a near-precise manner….while leaving your feet free to get crazy with the pitch-shifting using the expression pedal. I imagine a LOT of really wild, creative tones could be achieved this way."

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

You will be interested to hear that we did originally consider this. But, as your further suggestions indicate, it starts getting complicated. Plus, Space was running late anyhow  ….

Har
      Participant

nickrose:

You will be interested to hear that we did originally consider this. But, as your further suggestions indicate, it starts getting complicated. Plus, Space was running late anyhow  ….

Any possibility for being included in a future software update? 🙂

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Anything is possible, but at the moment we are struggling to meet demand for the current product.

brock
      Participant

Not to detract from Noah's / your integrated feature request, Har.  In fact, I think that triggered controls (such as the Space F/R, or Pitchfactor's PitchFlex mode) can be a powerful source for creative application.  Widely overlooked.  You can add that capability over MIDI – to any of the 'Factor boxes – but it's going to involve some specialized hardware (or software, for that matter).

I noted on another thread that you are a "former MPX1 owner".  I happen to use mine largely as a MIDI controller.  Any of its Internal Controllers can be assigned to CC numbers, and transmitted over MIDI [MPX-1 Out -> 'Factor In].  That includes the A/B switching [Lexicon's original "morph"].  I'll use it – for example – to morph intervals and 'chord' inversions in the PF's diatonic modes.  Notes glide in & out at different rates; depending on the 'morph' settings and the distance between targeted intervals.  Beautiful – or jarring – effect; depending on which parameters you 'morph'.

It can be initiated from any external switch, internal controller, MIDI, etc.   Now, the A Rate / B Rate in the MPX-1 are logarithmic, and time-based.  So there is no 1:1 correlation of values between 100 (less than a ms.) and 0 (over two minutes).  The workaround for 'tempo sync' would be to trigger from another, synchronized control (LFO, etc.), and adjust the A/B Rate controls meticulously.

The MPX-1 wouldn't be your only option.  Maybe something along the lines of a Moog MP-201 control pedal would allow you to trigger a one-shot LFO from one of its switches.  Match the RCV parameters in the 'Factor pedal, set the limits, and you'd be able to morph through any parameter, in either direction.  Any MIDI LFO that has shape/pulsewidth, waveform, or offset controls should  let you select among various curves, directions,  and the length of morphing.

I'm sure that there are other MIDI solutions, but I concentrated on "hands-free" and "Can I lug it with me (easily)?"  A small hardware sequencer might be an option.  If you have one hand available, or are working in a DAW environment, the options really open up … exponentially.

Har
      Participant

All excellent suggestions brock! 🙂

Unfortunately in my case, I'm a former MPX1 owner in the literal sense – I sold mine some years ago to help facilitate the purchase of my Chapman Stick – so I no longer have one around anymore  to use as a MIDI controller. Same with my hardware MIDI sequencers I've owned – long gone once I moved into a DAW environment for recording

(I also record with a guy who has a super-massive synthesizers.com analog modular rig synth/sequencer rig.that stands taller than I do (along with a full-blown Kyma system)…but lives about 1500 miles away so is kinda out of the question for this too… LOL)

While I know I could certainly use various DAW-based MIDI functions to achieve the kind of functionality I was describing with the theoretical HotSwitch "morph" idea, with some thought and planning – it really wouldn't be what I'm looking for with this particular rig, which is largely geared towards live spontaneous ambient/soundscaping performances….being able to have that kind of flexibility right there in the pedal itself would really be a boon for that kind of thing: one of the many things I love about both of my 'Factor pedals in general is how well geared they are towards that kind of live performance flexibility. 🙂

I like the idea of this kind of additional HotSwitch functionality becoming available perhaps someday – it's one of the nice things about having hardware based on software guts like this – but it's not something I just can't live without. For now I'm happy with it being in the "wish list" category for the time being. 🙂

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.