Space MIDI help needed

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Space MIDI help needed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Gav RL

Not sure I can even word this coherently, much less understand it, but here goes.

I currently have my Space set up on Midi through. It’s receiving midi clock data from ableton live, then sending via a midi solutions quadra-thru to a Moog MF104M and a Pigtronix infinity looper, so that all BPMs are synced to my bands electronics backing for live performance. I have a preset patch saved for each song in our set on the Space. I’m wondering whether it’s possible to program the patches so that they send changes to the Moog? So let’s say the laptop starts sending a 120bpm and all my pedals sync up. I then select say, “song A” patch on my Space. Is there any way of that also triggering I dunno, dotted eighths on the Moog? (Apparently possible by midi on the Moog, but no idea how myself) to add to the complication, I don’t want any control or note info sent to the infinity looper as they send it crazy, I only want it to sync to the master BPM.

Apologies if this makes no sense at all; as is brutally apparent, I’m wet behind the ears when it comes to MIDI.

gkellum
      Participant
      Gav RL wrote:
      So let's say the laptop starts sending a 120bpm and all my pedals sync up. I then select say, "song A" patch on my Space. Is there any way of that also triggering I dunno, dotted eighths on the Moog?

Well, when you load a new preset on your Space you can have Space send out a program change message to other MIDI devices that are connected to it.  I don't know what kind of MIDI messages your Moog is expecting or whether it has presets.  If it has presets, you could save the parameters you want to a preset and I would think you would be able to have that preset load in response to a program change sent by Space.  Maybe, someone here who knows that device better will chime in to comment…

brock
      Participant

AFAIK, you won’t be able to control the Moog with Program Change messages from Space.  It has an extensive MIDI implementation, but “presets” are created by sending it a number of MIDI CC messages.  Other than that, I think that you’re so_close to being able to do what you want here.

MIDI Clock is channel-independent, so everything set up to receive it is sync’ed.  Put Space and the MF-104M to the same MIDI Channel [any one of 16].  Configure the Infinity to receive on any other MIDI Channel (or defeat reception).  I haven’t tried it yet, but the new Output mode in Space should Merge the incoming clock / messages with the Program Changes that it’s sending.

I suppose you could send MIDI CC messages to the MF104M from Ableton, along with the MIDI Clock.  But that will take central control away from Space.  You’ll need something to send Program Changes and MIDI CC messages at (relatively) the same time to pull this off.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.