Space patch – RV5 Modulation setting?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Space patch – RV5 Modulation setting?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Gav RL

Has anyone programmed a patch for the Space that emulates the Modulation setting on a Boss RV-5? Surprisingly great, that. If you have, care to share?

Ta

brock
      Participant

There were some informative posts last year at TGP; one under a title like “nothing else can do the RV-5 Modulate”.  I’m not so sure about that, but the thread had some speculations about parameter settings and the effect structure.  Someone mentioned the H9 / SPACE factory preset F13 1985 Damage.  If you compare that to the online demos (I haven’t used an RV-5 in years), it’s similar.

One poster detailed how the early reflections in the RV-5 are not modulated, but the main reverb decay feeds a stereo chorus.  Given that, the Hall algorithm does seem to be the best fit for an RV-5 emulation.  I have a base Hall preset that blends in several kinds of FREEZE with a modulated reverb tail.  This one is programmed to sound ‘big’.

Expression Pedal Heel: LOW DECAY – DCY X 1.0

Expression Pedal Heel: HIGH DECAY – DCY X 4.0

Expression Pedal Toe:  LOW DECAY –  FREEZE

Expression Pedal Toe:  HIGH DECAY –  FREEZE

HotSwitch OFF:  DECAY  –  10.0 S

HotSwitch ON:  DECAY  –  FREEZE

The staggered parameter ranges in the expression pedal allow different combinations of decays, infinite, and freeze settings.  Dry signal is still run through the main reverb decay, which can also be frozen independently by the HotSwitch.  Modulation in the Hall algo appears to be controlled by a random waveform, and locked to one rate.  If you’re not concerned about an exact emulation, there are several other algorithms that can capture the general feel of the RV-5.  More to come …

brock
      Participant

This might be an unorthodox choice, but the Shimmer algorithm adds a bit more “bloom” to the reverb that I like.  The subtle modulation comes from slight, complementary pitch shifts.  The expression pedal spreads these shifts to more than a quarter tone each way.  The HotSwitch jumps to +/- one octave with a deeper mix, as another option.  Just because you can …

Expression Pedal Heel:  A-PITCH  -10 c 

Expression Pedal Heel:  B-PITCH   10 c   

Expression Pedal Heel:  A-PITCH  -30 c   

Expression Pedal Heel:  B-PITCH   30 c

HotSwitch OFF:  MIX  25

HotSwitch OFF:  A-PITCH  -10 c

HotSwitch OFF:  B-PITCH  10 c

HotSwitch  ON:  MIX  35

HotSwitch  ON:  A-PITCH  -1200 c

HotSwitch  ON:  B-PITCH   1200 c

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.