Space Pedal Control via MIDI over USB from Helix via Mac

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Space Pedal Control via MIDI over USB from Helix via Mac

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      gruen517
      Participant

I have a Mac that I have my space pedal and helix connected to via USB.  I have the Helix set to output CC100 and the Space set to Toggle Bypass on CC100.  If I connect them both via MIDI cable w/o USB, it works. However it won’t work when both are USB. 

I have used Audi Midi Setup to link the I/Os of the Helix and the Space pedal, it seems to have no effect.  Having Logic running or not also has no effect. However I will note that Logic registers the CC100 when the Helix is triggered. 

It seems that the computer won’t pass the signal THRU to the Space pedal, is that expected or is this just a configuration problem? 

Thanks! 

Sk

gruen517
      Participant

FWIW, I found software that allows this. http://www.subtlesoft.square7.net/MidiPipe.html

However, I would much rather do this natively if anyone ever knows. 

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I believe that your problem is caused by the fact that USB is a master/slave system, meaning that there is a master (usually a computer) that sends and receives data to various slave units. As a result, there is no THRU concept.

It is conceivable that you could run an application of the computer that would receive data from one slave and send it to another – this would appear to give a THRU operation. But, while possible, this would be rather unusual, and would probably come with its own share of problems.

Both of the above are very different from DIN MIDI which sends stuff to a receiver, which can then send stuff to another receiver ad infinitum  in a "daisy-chain" fashion, without any master unit.

camn
      Participant

Gruen517- what are you trying to accomplish with your setup? Why do you want USB connections?

gruen517
      Participant
      camn wrote:

Gruen517- what are you trying to accomplish with your setup? Why do you want USB connections?

camn, I currently connect a Helix and my Space pedal to my computer via USB. I am hoping to avoid having to use a MIDI cable and instead allow the helix to send MIDI over USB to the Space pedal. 

gruen517
      Participant
      nickrose wrote:

I believe that your problem is caused by the fact that USB is a master/slave system, meaning that there is a master (usually a computer) that sends and receives data to various slave units. As a result, there is no THRU concept.

It is conceivable that you could run an application of the computer that would receive data from one slave and send it to another – this would appear to give a THRU operation. But, while possible, this would be rather unusual, and would probably come with its own share of problems.

Both of the above are very different from DIN MIDI which sends stuff to a receiver, which can then send stuff to another receiver ad infinitum  in a “daisy-chain” fashion, without any master unit.

thanks nickrose, this makes sense. It’s just odd that in Audio/Midi Setup on the Mac I can link the Helix and Space, but nothing happens. The midipipe software does the job, but i definitely have no idea what other problems it may create, you’re right about that. For now it solves my problem though. 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.