Space/Shimmer Question

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Space/Shimmer Question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      jcshirke
      Participant

I'd like to get my shimmer to not "lag" (for lack of a better term) as much as it does. I want the shimmer sound to kick in almost immediately after I play a note/chord. I've tried turning the delay down as far as it goes, but I wish there was a way to have no delay at all. Is that possible? Maybe I'm missing something with the settings/parameters?

If it's not possible to do what I want, I was thinking I might try to create a shimmer effect using my PitchFactor + a Space reverb. Has anyone tried combining both pedals that way? I'd like to trade notes/compare settings.

Thanks for the help.

Jeff

brock
      Participant
      Quote:
      I've tried turning the delay down as far as it goes, but I wish there was a way to have no delay at all.

I'm not sure what that would be (Space-less here, and I don't find the extents in the manual).  There might be a minimum internal processing delay for the pitch shifting.  I've found that in the PitchFactor, 0 ms. doesn't always mean No Delay (more comments on this below).

Quote:
      I was thinking I might try to create a shimmer effect using my PitchFactor + a Space reverb. Has anyone tried combining both pedals that way?

You can use almost any of the algorithms to get an octave up pitch shift.  An all-in-one solution would be Crystals.  Although it has the long reverb, the 100 ms. minimum delay buffer (& reverse) doesn't fit your criteria.  The best choice for me in this situation has been the HarModulator algo.  I like the wide range of octaves, and the possibility of adding shallow modulation.  Here's what I use as a base Shimmer setting, with the PF going into [CENSORED] Deep Digital Reverbs:

ShimmerMeTimbres 

Mix = WET:50

Pitch Mix = A10+B10

Pitch A = A: +1 oct

Pitch B = A: +2 oct

Delay A = A:  0 ms.

Delay B = B:  0 ms.

(encoder) = HMODLTR / TMP OFF

Depth / Key = DP: -30c (deeper)  to  -10c (shallower)

Speed / Scale = SPD: 80 (slower)  to  95 (faster)

Xnob = SIN  or  TRI

Ynob = FBK: 0

(EXP PED Heel) = WET: 0

(EXP PED Toe) = WET: 50

The expression pedal setting substitutes for an upstream volume pedal; to fade in and control the shimmer effect.  Other good EXP PED candidates would be Depth / Key (modulation depth) or Speed / Scale (modulation rate).   Here is what I meant above regarding the "minimum processing delay".  Bypass the reverb, change both Pitch A and Pitch B to UNISON (to better hear it), and turn the Ynob to FBK: 100.

You can get a thicker texture using the Quadravox algorithm, and that really 'shines' with stereo reverbs and routing.  Combinations of fifths and octaves can be panned to each side using four shifted voices.  The key and scale don't matter.  But you lose the ability to add modulation and 3 octaves up (if that matters to you in the results).  The 4 voices add a subtle doubling effect to the overall sound.

jcshirke
      Participant

Thanks for your detailed response. I'm going to try out your suggestions and your settings.  I'll run the PF into a cavernous Space reverb and see how things turn out. The only thing I'm not sure of, is whether I can have CC control over the amount of my shimmer if I am using two pedals. I have my exp. pedal hooked up to my MIDI controller, and I know I can send CC over MIDI to one pedal–but can can I have control over both pedals at once? I guess it can't hurt to try.

Thanks!

Jeff

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.