Split EQ Thoughts & Questions About Precision Drag and Undo

Home Forums Products Plug-Ins Split EQ Thoughts & Questions About Precision Drag and Undo

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      cljfford
      Participant

I confess that I’m green and haven’t tried many other high-end plug-in EQs but Split EQ is my favorite EQ I have ever tried! I hear so much through it and the feel is more precise and expressive than my other EQs. I am really excited about the work I’ve been able to do with the demo. These two things have me wondering, though:

Can you please explain more about Precision Drag? When I hold down (Big Sur 11.6) Command + Drag a handle, it doesn’t feel like the handle moves more slowly and it doesn’t keep locked on Frequency. What is it doing or supposed to do, if not that? I’d like to do that/those things.

I DON’T like the way UNDO is working. Every time I need to undo, Command + Z brings me back to the original state in tiny waypoint increments and I have to UNDO  an unreasonable amount of times to get back to where the handle was placed before. This makes it so I lose track of when I actually arrive at the previous location and accidentally go past it and start undoing previously settled decisions, accidentally. And it takes too long and takes me out of my flow and makes me not want to experiment because undoing moves is painful. Is this incremental undo by design?

hockinsk
      Participant

I’m on windows so perhas not experiencing any of the above, but precision drag does require a mouseclick on the handle first otherwise Ctrl/Command key doesn’t do anything.

As for undo/redo that’s working as normal/expected for me. Each new adjustment is a step that can be retraced forwards or backwards.

cljfford
      Participant

Thanks, hockinsk. Maybe my system is glitching but it’s consistent across reboots.

To follow up, I don’t get noticeably different Precision behavior, when I click and hold the handle first. And, what I am talking about is the UNDO function drawing a line between point A and B, so that undo, at point B, goes back along system generated points A.9, A.9, A.7, A.6, A.5… instead of original A.

hockinsk
      Participant

I think you’ll have to see what support say as I can’t reproduce any of your issues so sounds like more specific to your setup maybe?

tbskoglund
      Eventide Staff

I confess that I’m green and haven’t tried many other high-end plug-in EQs but Split EQ is my favorite EQ I have ever tried! I hear so much through it and the feel is more precise and expressive than my other EQs. I am really excited about the work I’ve been able to do with the demo. These two things have me wondering, though: Can you please explain more about Precision Drag? When I hold down (Big Sur 11.6) Command + Drag a handle, it doesn’t feel like the handle moves more slowly and it doesn’t keep locked on Frequency. What is it doing or supposed to do, if not that? I’d like to do that/those things. I DON’T like the way UNDO is working. Every time I need to undo, Command + Z brings me back to the original state in tiny waypoint increments and I have to UNDO an unreasonable amount of times to get back to where the handle was placed before. This makes it so I lose track of when I actually arrive at the previous location and accidentally go past it and start undoing previously settled decisions, accidentally. And it takes too long and takes me out of my flow and makes me not want to experiment because undoing moves is painful. Is this incremental undo by design?

Hello,

As the other comment mentioned, you should be able to get precision adjustments to work if you click the parameter first and then hold command while adjusting the parameter. We’re working on a fix for this so that it works when first holding command and then clicking/adjusting.

For your Undo issues, are you using Ableton? We’re looking into an issue with Ableton’s native undo for some parameter adjustments that sounds like what you’ve described. As a temporary solution, you can use SplitEq’s built-in undo/redo functions at to top of the plug-in window and that should work better for you.

Thanks for the feedback!

cljfford
      Participant

Thanks for the replies and workarounds.

I’m using the plugin, in Reason.

I found something else, trying your suggestions, that you may want to look at, in your investigation. My MacBookPro’s Command key to the left of the spacebar is not recognized to initiate Precision but the one to the right is. I always use the left and never the right, so I didn’t notice at first.

tbskoglund
        Eventide Staff

Thanks for the information. We were able to reproduce this in Reason as well and we’re working on a fix.

I’m unable to reproduce your error with the Command key. I’ve also been only using the key to left of the spacebar and that is working for me, both Command keys have the same behavior. I’m running 11.6 on my system as well.

cljfford
      Participant

You’re welcome. I’m super excited and grateful to experience this way of working. Thanks for all your hard work, Eventide people.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.