Step Sequencer Algorithm

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Step Sequencer Algorithm

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      mglines

I’ve been looking around for a rhythmic step sequencer for guitar.  I would buy a ModFactor right now if there was some hope Eventide could potentially develop a step sequencer algorithm for it.

Something like what Roger Linn Adrenalinn 3 does, but with Eventide standards of quality, instead of the amp modeling and the drum machine.

Is there even a possibility?

Thanks!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Anything is possible.  But, ModFactor is a fairly mature product, and does not have room for more algorithms, so best not to hold your breath. Sorry.

mglines
        nickrose wrote:

Anything is possible.  But, ModFactor is a fairly mature product, and does not have room for more algorithms, so best not to hold your breath. Sorry.

Could a step sequencer algorithm be in the works for the H9?

brock
      Participant

You can set up randomized step sequences over select parameters in many ModFactor algorithms, by using Sample & Hold modulation:

https://www.eventideaudio.com/community/forum/stompboxes/some-random-h9-presets

But in my opinion, plugging in something like the EHX 8 Step Program to the expression pedal input is the ultimate in control.

Yes, it’s an external device, and adds $125-150 US to the cost.  Between the extensive capabilities of the ‘Factor / H9 pedals, and the deep programmability of an external step sequencer, it’s like designing your own pedal (or creating your own algorithms).

mglines
        brock wrote:

You can set up randomized step sequences over select parameters in many ModFactor algorithms, by using Sample & Hold modulation:

https://www.eventideaudio.com/community/forum/stompboxes/some-random-h9-presets

But in my opinion, plugging in something like the EHX 8 Step Program to the expression pedal input is the ultimate in control.

Yes, it’s an external device, and adds $125-150 US to the cost.  Between the extensive capabilities of the ‘Factor / H9 pedals, and the deep programmability of an external step sequencer, it’s like designing your own pedal (or creating your own algorithms).

The 8-Step Program is pretty great, except that it’s presets are not switchable via midi and it only has 8 steps, not to mention the added footprint.  If EHX had one with 16 steps and midi accessible presets, i’d be all about it.

brock
        Participant
        mglines wrote:

The 8-Step Program is pretty great, except that it’s presets are not switchable via midi and it only has 8 steps, not to mention the added footprint.  If EHX had one with 16 steps and midi accessible presets, i’d be all about it.

I understand the pedalboard real estate & additional cost concerns.  It can be problematic.  And I’m not trying to sell you on any one solution.  This particular one happened to work out much better than expected for me, after a long, exhaustive search.

To clarify, there are two different options to load the 8 Step’s presets over MIDI, and any number of ways to get past the apparent eight step limitation.  If you’re interested, I’ve posted some explanations in earlier threads on this forum.

One example:

https://www.eventideaudio.com/comment/10380#comment-10380

st.bede
      Participant

A step sequencer would be powerful tool for H9.

wedelich
      Eventide Staff
      mglines wrote:

I've been looking around for a rhythmic step sequencer for guitar.  I would buy a ModFactor right now if there was some hope Eventide could potentially develop a step sequencer algorithm for it.

Something like what Roger Linn Adrenalinn 3 does, but with Eventide standards of quality, instead of the amp modeling and the drum machine.

Is there even a possibility?

Thanks!

Have you tried the Harpeggiator algorithm on H9?  It's our rhythm / pitch / glitch step sequencer from the Pitchfactor.  

mglines

[/quote]

Have you tried the Harpeggiator algorithm on H9?  It’s our rhythm / pitch / glitch step sequencer from the Pitchfactor.  

[/quote]

I’ve tried it, but I would rather have the ability to choose the velocity or dynamic of each individual step per bar.  If I wanted manufacturer-selected patterns, I could go with the Boss SL-20, which sounds great and is very affordable.

st.bede
      Participant

Korg has some small midi step sequencers that porabably cost less then EHX and might have a smaller footprint. The korg stuff does not look rugged at all. I think (and am far from certian) that boss/roland’s new es-8 can send out midi cc effected by a tempo synched wave form. I really need to check that. In all its glory boss/roland has offered up the same strangly egmatic manaul as they always do.

st.bede
        Participant
        st.bede wrote:

Korg has some small midi step sequencers that porabably cost less then EHX and might have a smaller footprint. The korg stuff does not look rugged at all. I think (and am far from certian) that boss/roland’s new es-8 can send out midi cc effected by a tempo synched wave form. I really need to check that. In all its glory boss/roland has offered up the same strangly egmatic manaul as they always do.

I read Korg’s SQ-1 midi implementation chart. The SQ-1 does not send out CC messages.

mglines

Thank you all for your awesome ideas and suggestions.

Part of what I love about Eventide is that all of their pedals can work as a MIDI clock source, which seems so important for a any pedal that uses rhythmic effects, such as arpeggiation.  So many other companies (Strymon, Boss, Roland, Line6 and even Fractal) overlook this very important feature, and I don’t understand why.

Also, I like the Factor units because they are super sturdy.

However, to get what I want from Eventide, I’d have to buy all their pedals plus an 8-step and a midi controller, and then program them all individually.

The H9 is cool, because it does everything, but it only does one thing at a time.  I would love to seen an H9-like product that can run multiple algorithms simultaneously, and with the ability to step-sequence modulation and pitch effects.  I don’t think anyone would be able to compete with that.

Until then…..

st.bede
      Participant

After an intensive search, I have found a small hardware squencer that will most likely work. It cost about a 125$ more then the EHX 8 step but it offers a lot more. I am not. a 100% certain but it looks good so far: Faderfox SC4.

brock
        Participant
        st.bede wrote:
        … I am not a 100% certain but it looks good so far: Faderfox SC4.

Wow.  Now that is a nice find.  Leave it to the Euro DJ’s to spawn some real innovation.  Powerful, and pedalboard-friendly.  Almost too powerful (I wonder if the H9 could keep up with cycling multiple CC messages).  I didn’t immediately find any sources in the States, but this will stay on the radar.

It reminds me of a hardware version of Sugar Bytes Thesys.  Now there’s a deep, affordable option for H9 / ‘Factor pedals when you find yourself tethered to home / studio.

st.bede
      Participant

https://djdeals.com/  I think these guys have it. I am still trying to decide if I want to spend the big money or just get an EHX 8 step. I ask myself “do I need to run multiply CC messages or not”? I planing on getting a Boss ES-8. The ES will send out tempo sync midi messages controlled by a “wave” (sin, saw, and square… if I remember right). The ES and an 8 step should be pretty powerful. For example I could have a cool filter step patteren with a wave increasing the amount of wet on say a verb. I need to know if I can set up the parameters on the ES wave.

dneilsen
        st.bede wrote:

I planing on getting a Boss ES-8. The ES will send out tempo sync midi messages controlled by a “wave” (sin, saw, and square… if I remember right). The ES and an 8 step should be pretty powerful. For example I could have a cool filter step patteren with a wave increasing the amount of wet on say a verb. I need to know if I can set up the parameters on the ES wave.

I am playing with this now on my Boss ES5.  

I have a patch that sends a continuous wave of midi CC ramping values from 0-127 on midi cc no 2 and in my H9 I have cc 2 set as controlling the H9 expression pedal.

H9 control sees these changes an an expression pedal change so you can set any parameters to change that you like in H9 control.

ps.  I also have a normal expression pedal connected to my h9 and the “automated” midi cc expression pedal still works fine.

lordradish
      Participant

A step sequencer for the H9 would be a dream come true.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.