Stereo Modulation

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Stereo Modulation

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      PianoMan4486
      Participant

I just got my H90 yesterday, and I have to admit, I’m a bit underwhelmed so far with the delays and their modulation in particular. My needs are fairly simple – I want:

– Two delay algorithms running one into the other.

– No ping pong effect.

– Stereo modulation post-delay to widen the stereo image.

Anytime I dial in a single delay with modulation though, it’s completely mono. I’ve tried setting things up so that multiple sides of a delay are panned full left/right with the same tap divisions/feedback to mixed results (works on older algorithms, but not on newer ones like Head Space – I get phasing issues there). I don’t want to be limited to certain engines though, and even if I accepted that, it would still be a pain to have to adjust multiple knobs to keep things even if I wanted to adjust tap division or feedback.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this just how Eventide does delays?

Side Note Suggestion – Algorithms with tons of controls (IE: Head Space) are a mess in H90 Control. It would be really nice if each head could get it’s own row so that all the level/division/pan knobs were always lined up with each other. No more hunting for the right knob every time I want to adjust something!

ear5555
      Participant

So you’re wanting to run 3 algorithms at the same time?

PianoMan4486
      Participant

Nope. I just want the modulation built into each delay engine to be stereo, even if I only use a single delay panned center.

joecozzi
        Eventide Staff

Modulation on H90 delay algorithms don’t necessarily work in a serial fashion like this where you can envision two delays hooked into a modulation pedal in series. The modulation in the delay algorithms affect each one of the dual engines simultaneously and often times because each voice tends to be auto-panned to each output for the widest image possible, you don’t end up with the results you’d get if you just used two simple delays in series with each other.

You may want to experiment taking the Delay Mix parameter of an algorithm and setting it to either A or B, but not up the middle. This forces either Delay A or B of that algorithm to function in mono. Route that to a delay algorithm with built-in modulation and see if that works better for you.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

How are you using the H90? Are you connecting in mono or stereo? It matters greatly because algorithms are designed to behave differently in either case. For example, in mono, the Filter Pong delay algorithm works like one delay being fed into the other, just like you want. However, when connected in stereo, each separate delay is routed to its own output. Most Eventide delays direct one of each dual delay to its own output for a wider stereo image. Algorithms like Digital Delay, Mod Delay, and Vintage Delay already feature built-in modulation for width generation. How deep have you tried tweaking modulation capabilities on these effect types?

What delays have you explored? Are you sticking to just the factory Programs or have you experimented with the individual delay algorithms? In total, there are twelve. If you count algorithms like SpaceTime, PitchFuzz, and MicroPitch, which all have dual delays in them, there are even more.

Which modulation algorithms are you using for width enhancement?

PianoMan4486
        Participant

I’m going stereo in/stereo out with A>B routing. Very basic.

I’ve played around mainly with Head Space, Bouquet, Tape Echo, Vintage Delay, Digital Delay, and Mod Delay. I’ve been starting by running through all available presets then tweaking settings using my favorite preset as a starting point.

I haven’t used a modulation algorithm for modulation at all. I can try that, but it kinda defeats the purpose of me buying the unit. My goal is to always have one delay running, then having an aux effect (second standard delay, reverse delay, ramping trem, etc.)

joecozzi
        Eventide Staff

Stereo modulation post-delay to widen the stereo image.

Trying to get a better sense of what you mean when you say post-delay modulation. Do you mean built in to the algorithm? Because if you’re not using a modulation algorithm, then are you using one of the H90’s inserts for this?

ear5555
      Participant

Maybe I missed it but couldn’t you just have Delay A and Delay B of the second algorithm be the same in milliseconds which is essentially like having a mono delay down the center. Then use the modulation in that algorithm?

brock
        Participant

I’d just like to add that the various Hotknobs are a godsend to ‘syncing’ two parameters to identical values.  Such as the Delay or Feedback A & B sides mentioned.

I’m using them now mainly as a programming aid, similar to the use case under discussion.  But they can be mapped in a myriad of ways, to many other control functions.

One example:  a physical expression pedal controlling up to 3 more sets of ‘expression’ mappings, over dozens of parameters.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.