Stompbox Power Requirements vs. Power Factor 2

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Stompbox Power Requirements vs. Power Factor 2

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Zaphod B

I my two Eventide stomp boxes, TimeFactor and ModFactor list a power requirement of 9V / 1200 mA, and the power supply wall warts supplied with them are rated as such. (And the owner's guide cautions against using anything other than the supplied power supply.)

However, the four Power Factor 2 outlets that are intended for Eventide boxes are only rated at 400mA.

So my question is: Huh? Can someone please explain?

Thanks!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

The current rating was overstated on the TF/MF and PF (sorry) – a nominal 400mA is fine.

Zaphod B

Excellent, thanks!

Zaphod B

Nick – one additional question. 

The nominal supply voltage for the Eventide stompboxes is 9V,  but two of the Powerfactor's 400mA outputs are 12V only. I read on CIOK's site that they recommend running Eventide stompboxes with 12V.

What is Eventide's recommendation for stompbox supply voltage?

Thanks!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

A regulated 12V is OK.

An unregulated supply (such as a transformer-based wallwart) should be rated at 9V, as it could be higher than this at times.

More than about 15V (even for a short time) could cause damage to the internal circuitry.

Note that any damage caused by the use of a non-Eventide power supply is not covered by the warranty, so best to play safe.

Zaphod B

But it's OK to use the 12V taps on the Powerfactor 2?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

If he says to use the 12V outputs, he must have confidence in their regulation, so they should be OK.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

In the interest of a more definitive answer, I measured a PowerFactor. The 12V outputs are within 0.25V of 12, so they are regulated and thus safe to use.

Lord Poul probably recommends the 12V output as the 'Factors will take less current at the higher voltage.

Zaphod B

Got it; thanks again.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.