Tap sync multiple units with one

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Tap sync multiple units with one

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      rjclark

I have a TimeFactor and am getting a ModFactor.  Is there a way to set up a master/slave relationship between the units so the tap tempo of one will sync both?  I have a Midi pedal on my pedal board.  Could I set them both to a MIdi control# and tap from the Midi board?  Oh, and does anyone have something to offer on why the TimeFactor's looping function starts to get weird after a few loops?  I had a Line6 Looper and it would lock in without a thought.  I wanted some better sound quality, so I moved to Eventide, and the looper just kind of ends up seeming gimmicky and not very useful.  Thanks in advance to any responses.

brock
      Participant
      Quote:
      Is there a way to set up a master/slave relationship between the units so the tap tempo of one will sync both?  Sure.  Set up the system settings on the master.

Under MIDI:  OUTPUT: XMT / CLK IN: OFF / CLK OUT: ON. 

Set up the system settings on the slave.

Under MIDI:  OUTPUT: THRU / CLK IN: ON / CLK OUT: OFF.

The MIDI channel doesn't matter to the MIDI Clock, but you'll want to match the channel in the two devices for the rest of the 'fun stuff'.

Use the Play mode Tap switch on the master.  It's a fairly similar setup to use an aux switch on the master for controlling tap tempo on both devices.  There's a lot of detail in the UM on these processes.

Quote:
      I have a Midi pedal on my pedal board.  Could I set them both to a MIdi control# and tap from the Midi board?Quite possibly.  It's going to depend on the features of your MIDI pedal.  Again, match your MIDI channels.  Pick a CC# for the MIDI pedal, and both 'Factor pedals if you want.  (More important to match the MIDI pedal tap source and master tempo transmitter.)

Ideally, the MIDI pedal has a programmable switch, and it can transmit a continuous controller value somewhere between 64 and 127, in a momentary 'pulse'.  Values 0-63 are read as 'OFF'.  Some types of boards will transmit a value of 127, followed by a value of 0.  Or alternate between 0 and 127 on every other switch press.

This will still work somewhat, but you may find your tempo to read as half of what you expected.  In any event, you'll have to return to the system MIDI section: RCV CTL: TAP > any CC# .  There's a handy LEARN function available by a second tap on the right footswitch.

rjclark

Ok… so it would seem I am grossly uneducated about my equipment.  Thank you so much for the information.  I've brushed through the manual, but can't seem to connect all of the dots between want I'm looking for and what the manual is telling me due to my understanding of the terms.  I will keep working on it.  Many thanks!

rjclark

Ok, I'm still struggling here.  When I set the send to 'xmt', the commands no longer pass through the unit to control the equipment further down the chain, but the tap tempo works (kind of).  When I set the send to 'thru', the other equipment starts receiving commands again, but the tap temp doesn't work.  What can I do to make this work?  Also, the tap tempo syncs up within a beat or so, but gradually drifts out of sync.  can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

jamongrande
      Participant

Unfortunately that's how it works – out only tramsits info generated by the first box, thru only passes info from your midi footcontroller.  A "midi merge" setting would fix our problem (v4 pretty please!).

If your footcontroller allows multiple CC's to be sent from the same footswitch, you could have it broadcast a CC n one channel for the first box, and a CC on a second channel for the second factor.  Unfortunately, I'm short one channel for CC's  on my controller (FCB1010 Uno).  Its possible with the right footcontroller and careful planning though.

Outside of that, perhaps think about a single footswitch attached to both boxes' aux switches just for taptempo.

-joe

wedelich
      Eventide Staff

Are you trying to use MIDICLK AND send tap information via MIDI CC?  You should probably use one or the other.   I recommend MIDICLK because it's a more generalized solution that is independent of MIDI channels.  Also make sure GLOBAL TEMPO is on.  This will help the tempo to always slave when changing presets.

-Russ

rjclark

Thanks!  Aren't global tempo and global mix tied together though?

rjclark

I'm using the 1010 as well.  I think I'll move the units to the back of the board and the midi pedal to the front and let it drive.  Thanks so much for the info!

wedelich
      Eventide Staff

No, they are seperate.  In system mode they have their own individual submenu ON/OFF settings in the GLOBAL menu-tree.  

-Russ

brock
      Participant
      Quote:
      I'm using the 1010 as well.

Same here.  Keep in mind that you can set the FCB-1010 to MIDI Merge in its global configuration.  That might help (as it has here) in routing for a complex chain of MIDI-capable boxes.  Had I known what model your "MIDI pedal" was, I could've answered with more depth in my reply above.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.