TAP tempo not syncing

Home Forums Products Stompboxes TAP tempo not syncing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      MaxFX

I'm attempting to make a universal tap tempo switch with my midi controller but I can't even get my Eventide boxes to sync.  Yes, I watched the video.

Timefactor is the master controller.  output on timefactor is set to "thru" 
      1. I have the midi cable out from timefactor going into space
      2. timefactor midi > "clk out" set to "on" | timefactor midi > "clk in" set to "off"
      3.  space midi > "clk out" set to "off" | space midi > "clk in" set to "on"

When I click the tap tempo switch on the timefactor the readout changes according to tempo but the space tempo led blinks independently and the readout does not change. 

The other thing I'm trying to accomplish is to send midi cc93 from FCB1010 (UNO1.0.2f) to set tap tempo for all of my tempo based midi devices  (Eventide Timefactor, Eventide Space & Strymon Mobius).  

I mapped "rcv cc" tap to "c93" using the learn function on both space and timefactor but neither one is changing tempo from my controller (Mobius is changing tempo properly). 

brock
      Participant
      Quote:
      Timefactor is the master controller.  output on timefactor is set to "thru"

The master controller should be set to XMT.  The TimeFactor is "transmitting" MIDI clock and tempo changes to Space.  Your other settings look good.

Quote:
      I mapped "rcv cc" tap to "c93" using the learn function on both space and timefactor but neither one is changing tempo from my controller

Check to see that the CC93 controller value is 64 or greater on the FCB1010 footswitch.  CC93 at a 127 value is always a safe bet.  The other thing to check is that both available CCs per-footswitch aren't set to the same CC Number [CC 93] and the same MIDI Channel in the Global Configuration. 

In this case, the footswitch will alternate between two different values of CC93 with each press.  That could be screwing you up, or halving your tap tempo rate (two presses equaling one "tap").

Quote:
      I'm attempting to make a universal tap tempo switch with my midi controller …  (Eventide Timefactor, Eventide Space & Strymon Mobius)

With that (exact serial) routing, you'll have to leave both Eventide boxes set to OUTPUT=THRU.  Any Eventide box set to XMT will block whatever is coming into its MIDI In jack.  So, if you have the FCB-1010 plugged into the TimeFactor, nothing will get any further downstream.

You may be able to work something out with the FCB-1010's MIDI Merge function (under Global).  Then it can be inserted in the MIDI routing other than first.  And I'm not familiar with the Mobius MIDI implementation (yet).  FCB-1010 -> TF THRU -> Space THRU -> Mobius sounds like it should work, though.

MaxFX

Thanks Brock, that helped a lot!  With the master output set to thru it syncs with space after a hard reset and new software.  Although, with the mobius inline all pc transmission was blocked to it from the XMT function of the Timefactor.  

I tried the universal tap tempo switch with the Behringer foot controller and it worked ok except that there seems to be some latency along the chain so each pedal in the chain is anywhere from 3-30 ms out of sync and some don't sync at all depending on whether they are in BPM or ms… weird but I guess I'll take it and see what I can do with it nonetheless.  At least I know the Space and Timefactor work properly now.

brock
      Participant
      Quote:
      with the mobius inline all pc transmission was blocked to it from the XMT function of the Timefactor.

Yeah.  Your master controller (set to XMT) almost has to be the first MIDI device in the line.  You can set the FCB-1010 to MIDI Merge, and it will combine whatever comes in the MIDI In jack with what you generate with the pedalboard.  It all merges, and goes out the MIDI Out jack.  So it'd be possible to route something like this:

TimeFactor [XMT] -> FCB-1010 (w/ MIDI Merge) -> Space [THRU] -> Mobius

First off, you lose FCB-1010 control over the TimeFactor.  But the TimeFactor can generate master tap tempo (or MIDI Clock), Program Changes, MIDI CC controls, and that will all pass through the FCB-1010 to the other two devices.  The FCB-1010 can send everything it does to Space and Mobius, but not the TimeFactor.  I know.  It's all a compromise.

The only other solution is to get crazy with a multi-port MIDI Splitter at one end and a multi-port MIDI Merger at the other (or a full-featured MIDI Router that combines both).  Personally, I ended up getting a solid MIDI Clock source that I didn't need to control (other than a Tap switch).  Then I leave everything else in a THRU configuration.

I attempted to address the timing issues in that other thread of yours.

MaxFX

What did you buy as a dedicated midi clock?  Is it pedal board sized?

brock
      Participant

That ended up being a little misleading.  What I meant was that I don't use any pedalboard effects to control tempo.  I play keyboards and guitar.  So, I may tap the MIDI Clock from one of my keyboards / MIDI controllers, or the Lexicon MPX-1 on the rack, and slave the whole pedalboard setup to that source.  It depends on the situation.  I may tap MIDI Clock from the other keyboardist in a live setting, or from a computer DAW program while recording.  Whatever is most appropriate or available for synchronization.

There are dedicated clock sources, such as the rack-mounted MOTU Timepiece.  Probably overkill, if you don't need all of those features.  The smallest one that I've seen may be the Molten MIDI 2.  But another option that came to mind is the MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller.  That may be a better fit for what you're building here.  Small footprint, and it can do a lot more than tap tempo.  I haven't tried this, but you may be able to use the one of the switch outs on the back of the FCB-1010 with it.

MaxFX

I've seen that MIDI solutions box before, I forgot it does that.  That's a good idea Big Smile Right now I'm using their 4 way splitter box and event processor to filter all CC before my amplifier.   I'll look into implementing that as soon as I can find room on my board for it, lol.  Thanks for the advice.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.