Tape Echo with Expression-controlled Input

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Tape Echo with Expression-controlled Input

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      JDrage
      Participant

(Maybe this is covered with today’s update / Sticky Tape algorithm, haven’t dug into that yet.)

I have been playing with the Head Space algorithm, and I love it very much. This was one of the primary reasons for me purchasing the H90, I moved here from a Strymon Volante.

One thing I have not been able to figure out how to do is keep a tape echo going with the input the routes into the effect controlled by the expression pedal. With the pedal all the way heel, the dry input is heard but does not route into the delay, and with the pedal all the way toe, the dry input routes into the tape echo. In all cases though, what’s on the tape should keep playing.

My aim here is to create a swell effect which I can push towards saturation or let fade down. I originally had the pedal mapped to Mix for the algorithm, which does create a nice effect, but when the pedal moves towards heel, the echo volume drops as well; I want it to stay the same. I also tried mapping to the individual Head levels, but those appear to be playback levels not record levels, the effect is essentially the same.

Is there not a parameter for head record level? Even if it was one for all heads (impacting the ones turned on via Feedback Path), I think that would be ok. Individual control might be fun too though.

Thanks!

James

brock
      Participant

… One thing I have not been able to figure out how to do is keep a tape echo going with the input the routes into the effect controlled by the expression pedal. With the pedal all the way heel, the dry input is heard but does not route into the delay, and with the pedal all the way toe, the dry input routes into the tape echo. In all cases though, what’s on the tape should keep playing. My aim here is to create a swell effect which I can push towards saturation or let fade down …

I can think of a couple of ways to do this.  In either case, set the Head Space Mix control to 100%, so it’s always fully ‘listening’:

• Parameters mode Select knob to the left, or H90 Control General Tab.
      • Target the Head Space In Gain.  Set Tails to On, for good measure.
      • Head Space In Gain – map it to expression.
      • Set the upper Toe limit to 0.0 dB, unless you want a boost.
      • Adjust your overall dry/wet using the [P]rogram Mix parameter.

–OR–

• Target the [P]rogram Mix directly.
      • Set Tails On here, too.
      • Map it to expression pedal.
      • Set the overall range, something like 0-50% to start.

I believe that should work in Series or Parallel Routing, with or without a 2nd Preset.

brock
        Participant

I was mistaken.  Option #2 is exactly what you’re not after.  Stick with Option #1 above – targeting the Preset In Gain for expression.

JDrage
      Participant

Thanks for the suggestions. You’re right that the second option doesn’t give the right results, the expression pedal affects the output of the sound from the loop as well.

With the first option, the loop output continues, which is great. But I think I forgot to mention that I have a Series config with another algorithm in slot B (Crystals). I want the output to persist when the pedal is heeled. When targeting the input gain with the expression pedal, the input does not pass through to the B algorithm. Is there a way to accomplish this?

Thanks!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.