Telstar

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Telstar

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      sxl213

Hi everyone

Has anybody been able or tried to replicate the sounds from the old instrumental 'telstar'? I saw Steve Hackett and (I think) Ronnie Montrose do this a number of years ago. It blew me away.

I got a hit on googe in this respect "john biggs" http://www.google.ca/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=blast+off+telstar+guitar+effects&psj=1&oq=blast+off+telstar+guitar+effects&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=2293l15319l0l15444l48l48l6l19l0l4l624l7442l2-10.9.3.1l23l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=fb1ea0af9b952e00&biw=1024&bih=680

using ehx effects. if it can be done using ehx effects it sure as heck be done using eventide effects. most of the ehx effects are standard stuff: compressor/tremelo/reverb distort with the execption of a microsynth. but looking at the sliders and knobs on this effect doesn't look like anything an eventide couldn't do.

brock
      Participant

I like a challenge.  I managed to dial in a decent Clavioline emulation in no time using the Synthonizer algorithm in the PitchFactor.  I did have some gentle compression in front of it, but the rest of it was all PitchFactor (of course, at 100% wet)

There's no square waveform, so I used sawtooth (or the organ) waveforms, toned down the harmonics with the lowpass filter, and blended in very little of the additive (A) synth.  I kept the Attack times short (but not instant), with no noticeable filter sweeps.  Reverb is built in; tweak it to retro-saturation.

The rest was technique.  The Synthonizer responds very well to 'in-fret' vibrato, so it's easy to glide between pitches in the melody, while maintaining that deep, exaggerated vibrato.  No need to pause for pushing / pulling the string.  A whammy bar also works well enough, as long as you can maintain an even, 'electronic' rate and depth throughout.

sxl213

Thanks Brock. I don't own a Pitchfactor. I will be heading to the music store this weekend and will check it out. Since posted this to the form I have experimented with the pedals i have. I am somewhat pleased with the sound i am getting from combining a low level but maxed out bluesdriver, with a fast spin rotosim and a long delay from my timefactor. But, it is a challenge to turn off the blues driver and rotosim at the bridge of the song to get that sweet harp like sound on the guitar.  Thanks again and i will try the pitchfactor this weekend.  

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.