The Possibility of a Music Discussion Forum

Home Forums Administrivia Website Discussion The Possibility of a Music Discussion Forum

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Given To Fly
      Participant

I was about to start a thread about Karlheinz Stockhausen but didn’t because there really is not an area where music can be discussed, whether it be our own music or the music of others. The members of this forum seem to come from a wide variety of musical backgrounds and since music/sound/audio is the end goal of Eventide’s products I think there should be an outlet to discuss music/sound/audio on the Forum. 

There is the possibility it could fall flat on its face, but I think there is also the possibility some of the problems in the “gear” forums are not really problems but more like frustrated ways to engage in musical conversation. (I could be very wrong though.) I think Eventide has made some great moves with the Preset Sharing and the ability to show off our gear. I know you are busy people and I know another sub-forum would create more work, but it might be healthy for the Forum in general.

I am just throwing that out there.

Merry Christmas! 

Given To Fly
      Participant

MANTRA is a piece composed for two ring modulated pianos by Karlheinz Stockhausen in 1970. 

In 1970, Karlheinz Stockhausen composed MANTRA for two ring modulated pianos and shortwave radio. The ring modulators were custom built for the piece and are not readily available. Essentially, these ring modulators had a 2nd Order L.P.F placed immediately after the ring modulator to cut everything above 6kHz. This guy has created a digital solution and provides diagrams: http://www.staff.city.ac.uk/newton.armstrong.1/mantra/ 

I understand little of what the link above says but I have heard MANTRA performed live (which is not common) as well as seen lectures where Stockhausen discusses the work. All I can say is it is an impressive piece of music, though, perhaps not to everyone’s initial taste. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5tjuKSx7BI&t=1200s

The sounds heard in MANTRA can be heard from an H9. I know because I have heard them, admittedly, within a different context, but heard them none the less. The technical setup for MANTRA is not limited to ring modulators and is a fairly large undertaking. Could the upcoming H9000 effectively handle the entire setup for the piece? Could other current Eventide products effectively handle the entire setup for the piece? 

I am using Stockhausen and his significance to all music created during the second half of the 20th century as an example of a problem, which is this: composed music that uses live electronics is being written with whatever the composer has on hand. This is a pragmatic approach but unless performers have that particular piece of gear, repeat performances will be few and far between. However, the real problem is 10 composers are writing 10 pieces using 10 different FX processors that they have on hand and none of them are the same. The result is music that can only be performed based on the availability of early Digitech rack units, Line 6 pedalboards, and a Boss pedal that only does one thing but is the only pedal that does it! 

Eventide products may be able to solve these problems now and that would be great! If not, here is an extremely simple yet successful example. Composers know what an E-Bow is so they use it when writing for guitar. As a result, the vast majority of guitarists own E-Bows. Sometimes standardization aids in creativity and people prefer help over hinderance. 

Just thought I’d share that observation. enlightened

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.