Thinking about adding MIDI to my H9… few questions inside

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Thinking about adding MIDI to my H9… few questions inside

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      snakle

In my current setup I use the H9 + 3 button aux switch (TC Helicon Switch 3) programmed as:

1. Bank down
      2. Bank up
      3. Hotswitch

But today my expression pedal is coming in the mail. From what I understand, it looks like I could use a 1 button aux switch + an expression pedal, but my 3 button will not work (or if it did not all 3 buttons would work) with the expression pedal. My first question is: Could I connect the Switch 3 to the H9 midi via a TRS to MIDI cable like this? http://www.disasterareaamps.com/shop/trs_to_midi_cable

And if not…

Does anybody have any MIDI suggestions, or recommendations on how I should use MIDI w/ the H9? This is what I was thinking for a 3 button MIDI footswitch

1. Bank down
      2. Bank up
      3. Tuner

So as you can see above… It’s not completely necessary, but it would make navigating around the H9 a little easier. 

And lastly… I’ve been seeing a lot of USB type B MIDI controllers on the market. Is there any way to interface those devices directly with the H9?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Could I connect the Switch 3 to the H9 midi via a TRS to MIDI cable like this? http://www.disasterareaamps.com/shop/trs_to_midi_cable

It looks to me as if this only works with a few of their products – it is just an adaptor cable, not actually a TRS to MIDI cable. So that would be a no.

I've been seeing a lot of USB type B MIDI controllers on the market. Is there any way to interface those devices directly with the H9?

Not quite sure what you mean, You can plug a USB MIDI thingy into a computer USB, and then connect the DIN to an H9. What you can't do is connect the USB end to the H9 and then use it as a MIDI controller (wrong type of USB port).

It sounds like the best answer to your needs is to get a MIDI expression pedal (or a MIDI expression pedal controller) and then use a regular 3 button switch for the AUX. Note that most H9's do not supply power over MIDI.

snakle
        nickrose wrote:

It sounds like the best answer to your needs is to get a MIDI expression pedal (or a MIDI expression pedal controller) and then use a regular 3 button switch for the AUX. Note that most H9’s do not supply power over MIDI.

I read elsewhere in this forum that MIDI expression pedals sometimes resulted in some lag (delayed response to adjustments). If that’s not the case, are you saying something like this would work since I already purchased the VP Jr. 25k http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MIDIPC

Or any other MIDI controller recommendations considering I already bought the recommended VP Jr?

Thanks!

mykejb
        Participant
        nickrose wrote:

It sounds like the best answer to your needs is to get a MIDI expression pedal (or a MIDI expression pedal controller) and then use a regular 3 button switch for the AUX. Note that most H9’s do not supply power over MIDI.

I notice the phrase “Most H9’s” in there – does that mean that some versions do provide power ?

Mike

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        mykejb wrote:

I notice the phrase "Most H9's" in there – does that mean that some versions do provide power ?

I just put that in there to see if people paid attention. We thought having MIDI power would be a good thing, and added it from serial number 16329. It can be added to older units with a little soldering.

mykejb
        Participant
        nickrose wrote:

I just put that in there to see if people paid attention. We thought having MIDI power would be a good thing, and added it from serial number 16329. It can be added to older units with a little soldering.

Yay mine is after that, good to know it should work if I drop a processor in after it in the MIDI chain!

Mike

brock
        Participant
        mykejb wrote:

I notice the phrase “Most H9’s” in there – does that mean that some versions do provide power ?

nickrose wrote:

If you don’t mind me asking, Nick, where do you tap the 5 VDC from on the circuit board?  I understand if you’d rather not online [voids the warranty – Eventide not responsible – at your own risk – etc.]  One H9 is well out of warranty here; the other might still be covered.  I’ve never had to crack them open, and I don’t have any pressing need for power via MIDI (where the H9’s are routed).   But if there’s an easy mod, for future reference …

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Unfortunately the MIDI Solutions part you linked to needs power over MIDI, which as mentioned, is not usually supported by the H9. You can modify the H9 for this, but it involves soldering.

I personally wish that we had given the H9 separate switch and pedal jacks, but I guess there was no space. As a result, if you don't use MIDI, you are limited to either 3 switches, or one pedal and one switch.

snakle
        nickrose wrote:

Unfortunately the MIDI Solutions part you linked to needs power over MIDI, which as mentioned, is not usually supported by the H9. You can modify the H9 for this, but it involves soldering.

I personally wish that we had given the H9 separate switch and pedal jacks, but I guess there was no space. As a result, if you don’t use MIDI, you are limited to either 3 switches, or one pedal and one switch.

Thanks for the reply! Yes, it would have been nice to get a jack for each the AUX & Expression, but I think I can make it work. I added the PolyTune back on my board for a 1-click tuner/killswitch, and hopefully navigating the presets/tempo won’t be too tough. It is nice that you can press the wheel to reverse your bank navigation.

Can you confirm that this pedal would work for the VP Jr. 25k http://www.midisolutions.com/prodfsw.htm

And also, more importantly, can you comment on the MIDI Lag here — is this a real issue? https://www.eventideaudio.com/community/forum/stompboxes/h9-expression-pedal-over-midi

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Can you confirm that this pedal would work for the VP Jr. 25k http://www.midisolutions.com/prodfsw.htm

It won't. It has the same MIDI power requirement as the other MIDIsolutions product. See my previous comments.

And also, more importantly, can you comment on the MIDI Lag here — is this a real issue?

MIDI is never instant – the thing reading the pedal has to notice a change and then send a message. The H9 has to receive the message and process it. None of this takes very long, but it is not instantaneous. I'll guess and say it might take a 30th of a second – this is not much, but might bother some people.

My guess is that what you are trying to do will probably work better with a connected pedal and a MIDI switch unit.

snakle
        nickrose wrote:

My guess is that what you are trying to do will probably work better with a connected pedal and a MIDI switch unit.

That’s what I figured. Thanks!

mykejb
      Participant

MIDI Solutions do make a power adaptor you could use if the H9 doesn’t supply power http://www.midisolutions.com/prodpwr.htm It’s another box on the floor though

Mike

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

It's a fairly easy mod if you can solder – I'll work up some documentation and post it.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.