Time and Mod factor

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Time and Mod factor

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      cobraesp

Hi everyone, I'm brand new to this forum and Eventide in general but since getting my new Eventide pedals I'm a convert!

I have a question, how do you patch 2 stomp boxes together? I can't seem to get it working. Im running them in the loop but can't get them patched together so I can use them together.

Any advice would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Well, normally it should look like this …

Effect Send -> MF Mono In -> MF Mono Out -> TF Mono In -> TF Mono Out -> Effect Return.

timothyhill

UnderJollyRoger is right, that's how you do it. I'd also like to suggest trying the MF behind the TF…
      Effect Send -> TF Mono In -> TF Mono Out -> MF Mono In -> MF Mono Out -> Effect Return.

Both are equally valid, but do sound different, so give both a shot and use the one you like best.

cobraesp

Thanks heaps for this mate

cobraesp

Hi again, I tried the patching you sugested however they only work when I have them both on instead of like regular pedals, am i missing something?

Thanks again

timothyhill

Sounds like you have the KILLDRY function on. When it's on, the pedal won't pass any audio when it's bypassed. Try turning KILLDRY off, hopefully that will fix your problem. How to do so is detailed in the owner's manual in the System Menu Tree section (second option after BYPASS). Basically, go into System mode, select KILLDRY using the encoder knob, then turn the encoder until the display reads NO.

The reason they include this function is for people with parallel effects loops (some guitar amps, most mixing boards, etc.) where the effects mix is controlled by a knob on the amp or the board. This sounds like what you have. However, this really only works when using one pedal per loop. As you found out, it doesn't work so well when you want to use two or more pedals in the loop.

If you have the option of using the loop as a serial loop (refer to your amp or mixer documentation), this will work better. If you only have a parallel loop, set its mix control to its maximum setting (or to the highest level which sounds good to you). Just be aware that, even when bypassed, the pedals will still pass audio, which is ever so slightly delayed by passing through the pedal. When mixed back in when returns to the amp, it may change your overall tone, especially if the loop's mix control is set to less than 100% effect (max). Series loops don't have that problem because there's no way for dry audio to completely pass around the loop when the loop is active, while parallel loops can pass dry audio around the loop when the loop is on.

Bottom line, though, is when using more than one pedal in an effects loop, series loops are ideal, but parallel loops can yeild good results when setting the loop's mix control to max.

Another option would be to use only the TF in the loop and use the MF in front of the amp between the amp and guitar.

cobraesp

Ok I see, I might have to mod the loop after all. Thanks

timothyhill

Nah, you shouldn't have to do any modifications to the loop. Just be aware of the different types of loops and the benefits and limitations of each. That way, you'll be able to get the most out of what you have. It sounds like, to me, that the only thing you really need to change is the KILLDRY setting on both pedals.

cobraesp

Thanks man. The thing is that I have never heard anyone say anything positive about a paralell loop, especially with Modulation effects. I thought the killdry would solve the issue.

Cheers mate

True, parallel loops are a bit tricky, but with a little more time and patience you should get them to work …

Still, I'm glad I have a serial loop 🙂

timothyhill

Yeah, parallel loops can be tricky; they're definitely not as straight forward as series loops. I've had amps with both types, but as long as the loop was well-designed and built, either can and do sound good. With parallel loops, I usually run the loop's mix control (on the amp) all the way up when I'm using a modulation effect in the loop, but it depends on what sound I'm looking for, too.

cobraesp

I have turned off the kill dry on both pedals and am running the mix all the way up on my Framus Cobra and it is sounding pretty good

timothyhill

Cool! I've heard really good things about those amps, too, but have never had the pleasure of playing through one. Anyway, I'm glad that you got it all working!

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.