Time Factor Back-Up Dump Help

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Time Factor Back-Up Dump Help

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      mcalldp

Can somone tell me what they are using to record midi dumps to their PC (and how)? I am not familiar with doing this and the manual gives only instructions on the Timefactor side it doesn't note anything on the PC side and I'm not sure how it's done….

mcalldp

Okay, I was able to fumble my way through using a program called SendSX and did get a dump completed but when I tested sending the saved dump back to the TimeFactor the TimeFactor gave a bad dump error…..help please. I left eh midi chnl on the default of 1 as I didn't see this set in the program (SendSX) anywhere 

Roobin

I've used MidiOX to dump and upload. This method works for me:

– Connect TF to PC via USB (TF needs to be powered)

– Start up MidiOX

–  Make sure the buffers are set to 8192 bytes by Options -> Configure Buffers (You might also need to change the input buffer to 8192)

– Also make sure Options -> Pass SysEx is ticked

– Now go View -> SysEx

– Go Sysex -> Receive Manual Dump

– On the TF, navigate to the patch you wish to dump

– Then enter system mode (find this in the manual)

– Go MIDI -> DUMP -> CURRENT

– On  the TF it will say SEND… and then DUMP

– In MidiOX, It'll say x bytes received. Click done. 

– You should have a load of hex code in the Dsiplay Window

– Now click Display WIndow ->  Save As and save wherever you want. Make sure that the extension selected is .syx .cbk

– The patch is downloaded.

To upload to TF: 

– Make sure TF is connected to PC, start up Midi Ox

– In MidiOX, go Actions-> Send -> SysExFile…

– Select the .syx file you want. It will have a little lightning bolt and music note as an icon

– The TF will dispaly LOAD OK 

– Note that the patch is uploaded, but not saved. Thus save the patch as per normal.

Upload finished.

Hope this helps

I'll try and do a video or slideshow type thing later, to make this a bit clearer.  

mcalldp

Thanks for this- however, I didn't get as far with this as I did with SendSx. I could not get it to see the USB input, ouldn't find it anywhere. I was first getting an error where it said no input device chosen, then I chose the available midi input and it said waiting for load but never saw the dump.

Also, I am trying to figure out how to to do a totaly system load up (I got a total dump using SendSX so i understand how to do that part) but how do you load a total file back up (all system settings, patches etc…) 

MidiOX looks cool, I hope I can get this working! 

mcalldp

I got it, thank you! After a reboot it saw the USB device 🙂 

Roobin

Cool, glad it helped. I've just tried a system dump – it works fine. Do a dump, llike a preset dump, instead select system. Then save as per normal as *.syx. To upload, do the Upload SysEx thing, select your system file, and on the TF it'll say SYSTEM LOAD OK. That's it.

BTW MidiOx works on Ubuntu using Wine.

cosmorama

Yes. The procedure of dumping is as you say. MidiOX is a bit complex application and I had problems in using it especially for what concerns the buffer settings (it's not said in the Timefactor user's guide hot to configure it).
      Another very strange thing is that my pc (WinXP with Service Pack 2) doesn't recognize the pedal as an usb device. Has someone of you the same problem?

Roobin

What do you mean by doesn't recognise? I *think* that when I first connected the TF to my XP PC it had a little one of those pop-up boxes. Now it doesn't say anything. However if you go into Device Manager -> 'Sound, Video and Game controllers'  You should see 'USB Audio Device'. This is the TF.

mcalldp

That's where mine is listed as well ad it says USB. Mine is working doing the full save and rewrite now. I don't see why you would only dump and reload one program instead of the whole thing, it only takes a second and seems the simple way to do it. Anyway, I'm glad the backup is working andthanks for the heads up on the program to use.

Roobin

mcalldp:

I don't see why you would only dump and reload one program instead of the whole thing, it only takes a second and seems the simple way to do it.

What do you mean by one program/whole thing? As in one patch? 

mcalldp

Yes, on patch. I mean it takes helf a second to do either and you get the same result.

Roobin

I think that if you want a general backup (if you muck something up) then a general whole backup is good. However, if you want to swap out a patch for another one, then it's useful to do the one-at-a-time option. Also if you want to change 2 patches, and you haven't got a general dump for it, then you'd need to use the one at a time option.

Has anyone managed to use SendSx? I tried it, but decided to focus upon MidiOx. 

Roobin

I've also made a video tutorial on how to dump patches to your PC. This should help anyone who's had any problems saving. I'm in the process of making an upload one as well.

Saving Timefactor Patches to Your PC – Video Tutorial 

achaput

From the SendSx Installation Notes:

"Use with Windows XP at your own risk: people have reported failures with sending large bulk dumps. "

MIDI-OX is a better choice.

cosmorama

Roobin:

What do you mean by doesn't recognise? I *think* that when I first connected the TF to my XP PC it had a little one of those pop-up boxes. Now it doesn't say anything. However if you go into Device Manager -> 'Sound, Video and Game controllers'  You should see 'USB Audio Device'. This is the TF.

Maybe you're right. USB devices usually produce a popup when connected to a pc. I remember that it was so when I wired the Timefactor for the first time.
      But saturday night I had to make a dump and I didn't "see" the Timefactor as external unit in the tray icon bar. Since MidiOX hasn't been eble to receive the midi data, I thougt it was because the computer didn't recognize the device. After several tests I understood that I had to increment the buffer data and finally I get the dump. As I can I want to check into Device Manager -> 'Sound, Video and Game controllers' to veryfy if it is as you say.
      Thank you.

Roobin

Di dyou have to increase th einput buffer or output buffer? On WIndows, I only touched the output buffer, but on Ubuntu, I think (not at PC atm) I had to icrease the input buffer as well.

Yeah, my TF doesn't have any system tray icon.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.