Time Factor Expression Pedal

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Time Factor Expression Pedal

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      johneek

I have an Eventide Time Factor and a a Mission Engineering EP-25K Expression Pedal.  I am confused about what kind of cable I need to connect the two.  The Mission Engineering site says that both the output jacks on the EP-25K are TRS output jacks (TRS Tip to Wiper).  The Eventide site says that the expression pedal input is a ¼ inch mono phone jack.

What kind of cable do I need to connect the Time Factor to the EP-25K?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can provide.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

You can use a mono or stereo 1/4" jack (wired TRS or TS).

KCStratman
      Participant

The expression pedal JACK on the TimeFactor is 1/4" Tip/Ring/Sleeve ("stereo").  The Mission EP-25K has two 1/4" Tip/Ring/Sleeve JACKS.  A 1/4" "stereo" cable with 1/4" Tip/Ring/Sleeve PLUGS is required to connect the two devices. 

A Plug is a "male" connector that plugs into a "female" Jack. It is best to refer to TRS plugs and jacks as TRS and not as "stereo" as that is only one possible function and can lead to confusion.

The expression pedal sensor circuit works across the Tip and Sleeve (ground) contacts, so on H9s the exp pedal/aux switch can be divided with a 1/4" TRS to 1/4"TS – 1/4"TR "Y" adapter for the expression pedal to operate over the TS contacts while the aux switch uses the TR contacts of the same TRS jack on the unit.

johneek

Thanks everyone for your input.  Very helpful and much appreciated!

sumpe13
      Participant

So – based on the info – the Timefactor JACK is actually TRS – does that mean that the Boss EV-30 should work just fine with it??

I had a Line 6 Expression pedal (TS / mono) which worked well –  so I am a bit confused, does the Timefactor accepts both Mono and TRS cables?

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        sumpe13 wrote:

So – based on the info – the Timefactor JACK is actually TRS – does that mean that the Boss EV-30 should work just fine with it??

I had a Line 6 Expression pedal (TS / mono) which worked well –  so I am a bit confused, does the Timefactor accepts both Mono and TRS cables?

The TF EXP jack is TRS, but it expects a TS pedal. It will work best with a mono cable connected to a TS pedal.

Some pedals, when connected with a TRS cable, can give a 0-100-0 function, which is often unpopular.

You should speak to Boss and ask them if their pedal has a TS function – many do not.

If you use a volume (TRS) as an expression (TS) pedal, you may need to disconnect the connection to the ring of the pedal's jack.

All this is complicated – if you are not an expert, I would recommend that you use one of the pedals we suggest, or one whose manufacturer claims it will work with our product (and complain to them if it does not).

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.