Timefactor and MIDI signals

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Timefactor and MIDI signals

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      MaxFX

I'm a MIDI newb so bear with me. 
      I've recently begun the lonely walk down the MIDI path and I'm not finding much support all around.  It's been a lot like learning Linux only worse.

So, I have this MIDI foot controller and I'm still learning how to adjust the settings.  One thing I don't understand is: how does the pedal know the Timefactor is there? 

The pedal changes patches on the timefactor out of the box, which is pretty cool but that seems to be all it does.  I know that the timefactor receives in OMNI and that it sends on ch 1.  The foot controller is set to send on ch 1.  My amp head is receiving in OMNI too but so far I have yet to learn how to get the controller to recognize my amp head is there at all.  I have tried using direct connect and MIDI through, via midi cable on the Timefactor to no avail. I also have yet to figure out how to adjust timefactor parameters with the controller. 

So, my question is… Is there supposed to be some kind of automatic sensing as long as the signals are sending/receiving on the same channels or what?  Is the controller supposed to send messages to the other components to change parameters? If so, how?  My controller documentation does not clearly explain this… What am I missing?  I need some serious intervention here because I'm about to lose it on this thing. 

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

MIDI is much simpler than Linux – you may be over complicating things in your mind.

MaxFX:

One thing I don't understand is: how does the pedal know the Timefactor is there? 

It probably doesn't (no need – it's job is to transmit). The TF will know that the pedal is there when it receives something.

MaxFX:

The pedal changes patches on the timefactor out of the box, which is pretty cool but that seems to be all it does

There are essentially two type of MIDI controller (pedal). One type just sends a Program Change message – this would appear to be what you have. The other type is a "Constant Controller" or CC, which is used to change values (e.g. knob settings). Yours may well not be able to do this – you should study its manual.

MIDI messages may be sent on one of 16 different channels – each receiver will listen on one channel only, so that it only gets the messages that it is supposed to. The exception is OMNI, which means that it will respond to messages on all channels.

Most of your other issues seem related to expecting MIDI to be more sophisticated than it is. It is just a simple send and receive system, not any kind of network. Typically a sender does not know if anything is receiving its messages. So, no automatic sensing or other fancy stuff.

My guess is that you probably need a better pedal which can send CC messages (see above) – then you will be able to control TF parameters.

MaxFX

I looked through the manual and did not see any specific print that stated "CC" or "Constant Control" but it does have a section on changing control messages and adjusting parameters with a value of 0-127, calibrating the expression pedals (x2) to transmit control parameters, etc… is this what you mean?   Actually, I just looked up the Behringer specs and it is supposed to transmit "cc".  I guess I'm not sure how to get the Eventide to recognize that the Behringer is transmitting them via MIDI.  I've spent days on this Behrenger and have not been able to figure it out.  The manual is written very poorly and is not easy to understand.

MaxFX

Here is a good link describing the Behringer FCB1010
      http://musicplayers.com/reviews/guitars/2006/0406_BehringerMIDIFootController.php

It even has reviews about the difficulties of programming this thing.  I thought that programming experience would prepare me… it has not.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Set the TF MIDI [RCV CH] to OMNI. Then go to [RCV CTL], set up for the parameter you want to control and enter LEARN mode (some User Manual reading required).

Then, if your pedal sends almost any MIDI control at all, the TF will receive it and lock to it. You should certainly get a response from the Behringer foot pedals.

The Behringer manual does look pretty incomprehensible, but it seems that it will produce both Program Change and CC (described as Control Change). You may want to direct some of your queries to them – if you set up the TF as described above and get no result the problem will be either your MIDI cable or the Behringer programming.

MaxFX

That is helpful.  I did that last night and was able to somehow get the expression pedal to work to change feedback parameters on the fly.  After playing around with it I think I'd rather have the pedal change delay time parameters instead, so ,since I'm not sure how to change the working expression I'm somewhat stuck with it.  I'll read up more on using the "learn" function.  Thank you.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.