Timefactor Beta V3.16 Tape Echo

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Timefactor Beta V3.16 Tape Echo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
      caveman
      Participant

The softened attack on the tape algorithm is outstanding.  Yes

Any chance an analog delay will be modeled under 'vintage' ?

achaput

There are no plans for that currently but perhaps in the future if enough people ask for it.

tamburash007

we ask for itBig Smile

themarkman

Agreed! I ask for it too.

underwood

me too!

disconnector

Please!  I keep a second oversized delay on my board just because the TimeFactor doesn't do a convincing Memory Man Deluxe.  I've even been looking at a VOX DelayLab because of this.  Please consider adding a good analog delay model!

ndeshpande
      Participant
      Eventide Staff

Hi everyone,

What is it about the classic analog delay circuits that you love, and what type of sounds do they do that you're looking for? What exactly does TimeFactor not do that you wish it could? Any additional details that you think would be useful to us are welcome as well. 

Thanks,

Nikhil

NikosGuitar

If you are planning for a new software update… :

I had read at another forum from a former Eventide design engineer that the stompboxes miss most of the inner parameters that are critical for the great Eventide sounds…

So,can you add those parameters as secondary parameters under the knobs?

like,having the basic parameters at one knob like we have now and entering the system menu and find the "secondary parameters" mode,enable it and then control the secondary parameters with the knobs.What do you think?

Another sounds that i really like are from the tape echo machines…like the Echoplex EP-3,the Roland space echo re-201,the Binson Echorec and the Watkins Copicat…but since nobody want to carry tape echo machines to gigs,cause of weight ,maintenance and repair,that's why i like the strymon el capistan.

Can you give us the three distinct tape machine types, each with three separate modes that the el capistan offer? plus the Sound on Sound mode?

I know that you asked about analog delay sounds that we like,but for me,i wanted to ask those two things.

Thanks,

Nikos

caveman
      Participant

ndeshpande:

Hi everyone,

What is it about the classic analog delay circuits that you love, and what type of sounds do they do that you're looking for? What exactly does TimeFactor not do that you wish it could? Any additional details that you think would be useful to us are welcome as well. 

Thanks,

Nikhil

Some characteristics of the BBD based sounds that I cannot get currently:

1) a smeared loss of definition, especially on the attack, with each repeat, that causes the delay to soften into the background wash.

2) an audible resonance change on each repeat, like the subtle closing from toe down to heel down of a wah pedal a few degrees with each repeat.

On the high end, a deluxe memory man has a pleasing sound where you can hear these features, subtly, but audibly. With something on the lower end, like a memory toy, these features are more prominent.

disconnector

A good analog delay sits *under* the original signal in a very nice way. You can dial it up pretty high with a lot of feedback and still hear the original sound very clearly. This is *not* a simple EQ curve but the ghostly quality of the repeats. It's not EQ – just ask the guys at Strymon. 

Now there are several different kinds of analog delay tone. They basically fall into two camps – the dark or the bright repeats. Dark repeats are what I hear in a Carbon Copy – there is a graininess and a subtle cutting of highs (probably to trim clock noise). Bright repeats are what I hear in a good Deluxe Memory Man – the first repeat is fairly pristine and then there is a subtle degradation of the low end as the echos repeat. It's the classic U2 tone.  While I'm not looking for modeling really I would like to have both options. Honestly I'm a HUGE fan of the DMM sound and no one has even gotten close outside of Strymon.

This is part of the reason that I hear the GC guys recommend the Vox DelayLab – folks really want a decent analog delay sound. Tape delay is cool but the analog delay sound is different. 

I'm wondering what you guys could do with the power of the TimeFactor and the maturity of your engineers. 

still want the option to set Golden Ratio delay times on a single channel as well. Please check out my previous feature request. Please 🙂

drkam6

An EHX Deluxe Memory Man (big box) replica in the Timefactor please. Smile

fusionid
      Participant

Agree DMM. The timefactor is the best sounding delay to my ears so this would be a win win

add4

I totally agree… i often feel like i would want to have control over a few key parameters that are lilinked to a delay model, but in another model … 

bThe best example is saturation and softened attack of the tape delay … i want that control over all the other delays…. i realize i pretty much want all my delays with a bit of saturation, but i also love modulation delay, or multi tap… what do i do then?

I realize it's putting a lot more parameters to the user, but why not being able to control the pparameters of each delay in a small menu/program? 

IMHO that would make the TF much more versatile and allow us to bring a bit more craziness in the sounds..

MarcoR
      Participant

NikosGuitar:

I had read at another forum from a former Eventide design engineer that the stompboxes miss most of the inner parameters that are critical for the great Eventide sounds…

So,can you add those parameters as secondary parameters under the knobs?

like,having the basic parameters at one knob like we have now and entering the system menu and find the "secondary parameters" mode,enable it and then control the secondary parameters with the knobs.What do you think?

This would be a very good idea in all the factor pedals and Space.

ndeshpande
      Participant
      Eventide Staff

Wow, lots of responses here… thanks for all of the input! Even though my summer internship with Eventide has come to a close and I'm back in school (quite frankly I popped on here to take a break from my control systems engineering problem set), I'd like to address a few things:

1. Regarding the Tape Delay model, I believe you can already dial in a lot of those tones. Really playing around with those knobs gets you quite a lot of flexibility out of a single algorithm. 

2. Regarding having "sub parameters" underneath each knob: I don't really know what else you'd like to be able to access. A lot of those "advanced" features you're talking about are actually configured manually from chaining together complex modules that don't exist on the TimeFactor. There are no real "extended" features on the Factors nor is there the capability to do so (if my memory over those algorithms serves me correctly), so I don't know exactly what it is you're trying to get at. We're pretty much giving you access to all of the parameters to try and help you sculpt your best tone. 

3. While vintage delay won't necessarily do a DMM clone, many of the sounds you have all described can already be found in Vintage Delay. My own personal favorite delay sound is to set the Bit knob to somewhere around 11-13, feedback to around 70, Filter anywhere between -10 and 30, and the SLIGHTEST bit of modulation (depth usually at 1 or 2, and rate anywhere from .02 to 1.5 Hz). Setting the mix knob around 15-20 will get that nice ambient wash that sits under your mix, setting it around 40 will get the smeared repeats some of you are talking about. That's what I've been getting anyway, but as always ymmv. 

Another extremely important note, and a necessary disclaimer on this statement: this is no longer me as an Eventide employee speaking, but rather me working off of my with experience with Eventide products. But in any case, it is my opinion that Eventide products do a much better job of trying to create new tones and new sounds, rather than model old "classic" sounds. Sure, you can try and get close with a lot of the built-in algorithms and a bit of tweaking, but I often find that in my own personal use when I'm trying to get a Factor to get a particular sound, I find something else WAY cooler in the process. And personally, I'd rather be doing just that – carving out my own path to create my own sounds and inspiration, than copying what someone else has done. Just my two cents. 

fusionid
      Participant

I think the pedal sounds great. I think there is room for improvement.

Why not kill the competition?

disconnector

I t lots of awesome unique sounds out of my TF – I'd also like to get the DMM off of my board. In stereo too!  Please guys – I hope your considering this along with the golden ratio delay offsets 😉

ndeshpande
      Participant
      Eventide Staff

Hi everyone, 

It just so happens that I had a class with a homework set that required me to solve for the golden ratio, and when I was working on it last night I had an idea. It's not perfect, but it could certainly get what you're requesting. Tap in your tempo in ms (in play mode), then when the delay time reading in ms comes up on the billboard display, grab a calculator and multiply it by either 1.618 or .618, depending on which root of the golden ratio you want. This will give you the delay time you request to within a pretty fine tolerance (better than you can control on the TimeFactor, certainly – to within somewhere around ten to the negative fourth power). Combining this with the quarter-note interval you've tapped in or simply on its own, or even both roots combined, should get you where you want. 

caveman
      Participant

Here is a perfect illustration of timefactor vs analog delay.. If you guys could nail that heavenly analog wash, or some other etherial unique vibe with equal smear, you would be getting a leg up on all the other pedal makers.  No pedal maker has a great feel for this yet.

batflash

+1 on caveman's suggestions!

Especially number 2:

an audible resonance change on each repeat, like the subtle closing
      from toe down to heel down of a wah pedal a few degrees with each
      repeat.

I'd love to see an octave up, or multi octave effect added. Or the addition of a shimmer-type effect to one of the existing delays.

I'd love to see more variation in the ModDelay. I feel like there should be something a little more crazy and extreme concerning the  modulation on the repeats.

Let me know what you guys think.

Bats

Proud owner of the ModFactor & TimeFactor

Meddle

Binson echorec 2 !!!!!

Please!

herb

Simply copy the carbon copy, that would be sufficient.

Will there be a software update in the near future? I have been waiting for a an analoque sound for quite a while, I think, Eventide just doesn't manage to do this?

llemtt
        Participant
        herb wrote:

Simply copy the carbon copy, that would be sufficient.

Will there be a software update in the near future? I have been waiting for a an analoque sound for quite a while, I think, Eventide just doesn’t manage to do this?

SourceAudio already has done that, so come on Eventide!

ckisgen

Yes, we could really use a ‘proper’ analog delay on this beast .. one of only a handful of things missing IMHO. Please, Eventide – BRING IT! We know you can.

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.