Timefactor colors / changes tone when activated

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Timefactor colors / changes tone when activated

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Has anyone noticed this?  From true bypass to activating the switch, the time factor adds a bit of color to the tone.  Almost like a chorusing / doubling effect, even though no modulation is on, and with delays turned down to zero.  I am running it in the series loop on the new multi-watt triple rectifier.  I have tried the kill dry on and off, must be a flaw in the circuitry.  Definitely doesn't keep the same analog tone from my amp when activated.   Any suggestions?  Tempted to sell for a Memory Man..

timothyhill

In my experience, any effect by any manufacturer, analog or digital, when going from "true bypass" to active, exhibits some degree of tone change. I think "true bypass" has become more of a marketing ploy, like "class a," something that we're made to believe we need to have that we don't really. While it's true that pedals from the '70s sucked tone when bypassed, when the pedal's input and output buffers are properly designed, they actually benefit your tone instead of killing it. I can assure you that the buffers in the TF are as good as any and better than most.

Try using DSP or DSP+DLY – your tone won't change much at all, and (if you turn SPILL ON), your delay's will fade naturally instead of being abruptly cut off the instant you hit bypass. KILLDRY needs to be OFF in a series loop.

If you're dead-set on using true bypass, try using it in the parallel loop (not series) and turning KILLDRY ON.

I remember 10 years ago or so when series loops were outdated-devil-spawn and only parallel loops were googd for anything (yeah, right).

I'm using my TF in the series loops of my Mark IV or Mark III, or the parallel loop of my DualRec, or in front of several other amps. It sounds good with all of them. I also have a Deluxe Memory Man… yeah, it's a great pedal, but the TF can do 9 effects the DMM can't, store them in any of 100 presets (DMM doesn't have presets), and… want to talk about something that seriously sucks tone when bypassed? Mine's about 10 years old now, so maybe they've fixed this in newer versions, but I had to have mine modified to make it even usable. It really is a great pedal, my favorite analog delay, actually, but since I got the TF, my DMM sits on its shelf quite a bit.

Thanks.  I've tried kill dry on when I was using the parallel loop, it sounded terrible.  Like the way delay sounds before the amp with the amp's distortion turned on.  I have heard of a lot of you using kill dry on, but I just can't get it to work right with my Triple Rectifier.  Now I am using a new multi-watt recto with series loop, sounds a little bit better overall. 

I guess I will get over the coloring of the tone when the pedal is activated, it's not as noticeable on my less gain channels.  This is really the best delay pedal around, just want it to have an analog tone.  Also with headphones on, I can hear a little bit of hiss too when activated, I guess that is just digital effects for you…

DGillespie
      Eventide Staff

Hi 7stringlespaul,

I notice you said that you had kill dry on with the delays all the way down, but did you mean the delay times or the mix control.  Even with the delay times at zero there is going to be a very slight delay through the pedal (microseconds) and when you add this back with your dry sound in the amp it will sound like filtering.  In order to avoid this, turn the mix to 0 when not using the delay.

Also, if you're using a parallel loop, you don't want to use relay bypass.  Turn on killdry and use on of the DSP bypass modes and it will be like the pedal has just disappeared when you turn it off.

Thanks for the reply,  I have decided to just to use a vintage Deluxe Memory man, never been happier with my tone.  My amp just doesn't like digital equipment.  Everything digital had that same problem.  I am selling my time factor in Los Angeles if anyone is interested.  Thanks.

edmiddlebrooks
      Participant

I'm interested, how much are you asking? edmiddlebrooks at gmail.com

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.