TimeFactor delay time “slew/drag”

Home Forums Products Stompboxes TimeFactor delay time “slew/drag”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      gonebydawn

I apologize if there’s already a thread on this topic. I tried to search for one but I’m probably not using the correct terminology.

The algoritms on the TimeFactor that keep the relationship between speed and pitch intact (VintageDelay, TapeEcho… NOT DigitalDelay) still “glide” in pitch upon time changes like analog delays even when being controlled via MIDI for instantaneous, wide jumps. Is there a way to adjust the amount/speed of the “drag” in a way that completely nulls it? I’d like the pitch changes that occur by proxy to happen as soon as the TimeFactor receives MIDI info.

gonebydawn

Does anybody have any insight? The TimeFactor is already a wonderful pedal but a feature such as this would really open up some possibilities.

gonebydawn

I hate to keep bumping this thread but I’m still looking for an answer. It’d be nice if you were able to modulate delay times with an external LFO without the repeats always “bending/catching up” as if a knob was turned. It’d be even better if you could control the rate of it too but a simple on/off function would be wonderful. Either I’m an idiot and can’t seem to find the parameter for this or nobody else is interested in such a function, which is surprising. Really hoping it’s the former.

bohan
        Eventide Staff
        gonebydawn wrote:

I hate to keep bumping this thread but I'm still looking for an answer. It'd be nice if you were able to modulate delay times with an external LFO without the repeats always "bending/catching up" as if a knob was turned. It'd be even better if you could control the rate of it too but a simple on/off function would be wonderful. Either I'm an idiot and can't seem to find the parameter for this or nobody else is interested in such a function, which is surprising. Really hoping it's the former.

Hi, the "bending/catching up" is part of the feedback loop. If you kill it, you would also lose previous delayed signal. If you don't want that effect, please use the Digital Delay algorithm. 

gonebydawn
        bohan wrote:

gonebydawn wrote:

I hate to keep bumping this thread but I’m still looking for an answer. It’d be nice if you were able to modulate delay times with an external LFO without the repeats always “bending/catching up” as if a knob was turned. It’d be even better if you could control the rate of it too but a simple on/off function would be wonderful. Either I’m an idiot and can’t seem to find the parameter for this or nobody else is interested in such a function, which is surprising. Really hoping it’s the former.

Hi, the “bending/catching up” is part of the feedback loop. If you kill it, you would also lose previous delayed signal. If you don’t want that effect, please use the Digital Delay algorithm. 

Hey, thanks for the reply. I still want the relative pitch changes that come with altering speed. That’s why the digital delay algorithm doesn’t work for my needs. If I’m modulating the time with a square wave I feel as if there shouldn’t be a swept bend in pitch as if I had gradually changed values. A jump from 350ms to 700ms shouldn’t include everything in between. There are some notable vintage digital delay units and even quite a few modern delays using BBDs that allow for this.

hailmasch
      Participant

Of the three algortihms (Vintage Delay, Mod Delay, Tape Echo) that have pitch fluctuation as you adjust the delay time, I’d say that Vintage Delay has the least ‘time smoothing’ as you adjust the time. But it is still very noticeable when you try to control it with a square wave.

It’s not an ideal solution but you could try using the Looper as a delay by adjusting the DECAY value and leaving the looper in dub mode so that it’s always recording. Set the resolution to SMOOTH and use the PLAYSPEED to adjust your delay time. You should be able to adjust the speed here without any smoothing. It’s a bit clumsy and limited but it might be worth a try. You’ll hear a bit of aliasing at lower speeds so you might want to turn the FILTER parameter up a bit to cut out some of the high end.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.