Timefactor dual delay in series.

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Timefactor dual delay in series.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      spaceJam

Hi,

I was reading this review of the Timefactor where it says that it's possible to run the dual delays in series instead of parallel, and it works fine indeed. I have discovered a whole new world of possibilities and I love the results.

Quote:
      For guitarists who prefer to use 2 delays in mono and feed one delay into the other, there is an easy solution to achieve series operation with the TimeFactor. Use an extra patch cable to create this signal chain: Guitar → TimeFactor Left Input → TimeFactor Left Output → TimeFactor Right Input → TimeFactor Right Output → Amp.

URL: http://www.bestguitareffects.com/eventide-timefactor-review-best-twin-delay-effects-pedal/

I can't stop playing and trying different combinations since I discovered that.

Anyways, my question is if it's risky to keep doing that "hack" to get series delays.

Thanks.

undeadaudio
      Participant

I saw the same review and asked the same question over at the gear page. It seems to work well for me too! The only issue I've run into, is that you'll get some comb filtering when using the Looper. It'd be nice to hear Eventide's stance on this!

wedelich
      Eventide Staff

The Looper sums to mono at the input and is mono out.  So you get comb filtering b/c of the A/D, D/A conversion that adds latency when you plug inputs and outputs in series.  

Did you guys know that FilterPong is a series delay algorithm?  Just throwing that out there.  

wedelich
      Eventide Staff

spaceJam:

Hi,

I was reading this review of the Timefactor where it says that it's possible to run the dual delays in series instead of parallel, and it works fine indeed. I have discovered a whole new world of possibilities and I love the results.

Quote:
      For guitarists who prefer to use 2 delays in mono and feed one delay into the other, there is an easy solution to achieve series operation with the TimeFactor. Use an extra patch cable to create this signal chain: Guitar → TimeFactor Left Input → TimeFactor Left Output → TimeFactor Right Input → TimeFactor Right Output → Amp.

URL: http://www.bestguitareffects.com/eventide-timefactor-review-best-twin-delay-effects-pedal/

I can't stop playing and trying different combinations since I discovered that.

Anyways, my question is if it's risky to keep doing that "hack" to get series delays.

Thanks.

It's not risky to do this at all.  

spaceJam

Good to hear that! I was a little bit worried to be honest.

Your tech support is charging me $100 for a power jack replacement, I can't imagine how much would it cost to change some of the SMT resistors or fix something within the DSP circuit. heh

Thanks!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I suspect we have a fixed service charge, which in some cases covers a destroyed unit. If your problem is just a power jack, you might want to speak to a local tech instead (and save shipping costs).

Bodde
      Participant

Is it possible to the the above delay in series trick with the patch cable on the H9 as well? I am afraid to damage something so I want to be sure.

Is there any other algo on the H9 that has delay in series? I want to run delay A into delay B. is that possible with one of the delay algos? or maybe a pitch algo?

gkellum
        Participant
        bodde wrote:

Is it possible to the the above delay in series trick with the patch cable on the H9 as well? I am afraid to damage something so I want to be sure.

Yes, there's no danger of damaging your H9 by doing this.  I just had this hooked up myself, and I can confirm it's pretty fun.

bodde wrote:

Is there any other algo on the H9 that has delay in series? I want to run delay A into delay B. is that possible with one of the delay algos? or maybe a pitch algo?

Just the aforementioned FilterPong.

Bodde
        Participant
        gkellum wrote:

Just the aforementioned FilterPong.

I have tried both methods. The cable method and using the filter pong. Both methods have different results. The cable method is a feedback loop while the filter pong adds up the delay times of delay A and B. In that sense the filter pong is not a true series delay.  I understand how the filterpong works when having the delay mix set to A0+B10 (it adds up both delay times). But what happens exactly with the delay times when A10+B10?

I want to create a delay that is 400ms going into another delay of 1600ms without adding up the delay times and without a feedback loop. That is a true series delay. Is that possible on the H9? Neither the cable method not the filter pong does that.

Bodde
      Participant

No ideas if this is possible or not? I need this sound for a gig. I can do it with my Axe fx but I only want to bring my H9 to this particular gig.

h9controller
      Eventide Staff
      bodde wrote:

The cable method is a feedback loop 

Hey Bodde, to me this sound like the Delay Mix (A + B mix setting) was not set at exactly 50% or midway on the knob.  With the H9 Timefactor algs connected with both outputs in use, Delay Mix does two things: Panning to make sure output is centered and adjust delay output levels.  So when the Delay Mix knob is away from center you'll hear extra delays even when both delay feedbacks are at zero.

What complicates this further is that it's tricky to get the A + B mix exactly at 50% via Control or on the pedal.

I've attached a Vintage Delay preset where I hand wrote the Delay Mix setting to exactly 50%.  Can you import this Vintage Delay preset and give it a try with the cable method? All knobs work normally of course, but Delay Mix needs to stay where it is.

Bodde
      Participant

ok. I will give this a try later this week. Thanks!!

marcusm750

Don’t limit yourself when putting the delays in series by using a simple patch cable to make the Out1 to In2 connection.  This is a great spot for modulation, reverb or another delay!  I regularly put my ModFactor and Space in between the series delays for more tonal variety and textures.  A flanged slapback into a long ambient is pretty killer as is a dirty dotted-eighth note into an echo.  I’ve even tried my H9 (also in series) in the loop with my TimeFactor for four series delays.  Yes, it can be absolute shoegaze craziness but very fun and interesting too.

apalazzolo
        Participant
        marcusm750 wrote:

Don’t limit yourself when putting the delays in series by using a simple patch cable to make the Out1 to In2 connection.  This is a great spot for modulation, reverb or another delay!  I regularly put my ModFactor and Space in between the series delays for more tonal variety and textures.  A flanged slapback into a long ambient is pretty killer as is a dirty dotted-eighth note into an echo.  I’ve even tried my H9 (also in series) in the loop with my TimeFactor for four series delays.  Yes, it can be absolute shoegaze craziness but very fun and interesting too.

So you are saying that the cable method described above is actually the simplest form of an effects loop?  One can send output one into other pedals and return that signal into input 2.  That’s brilliant if it works!!!!!

Who has done this?  Results?

NicolConroy

I want to know something,is it possible to the the above delay in series trick with the patch cable on the H9 as well?

I am afraid to damage something so I want to be sure.

I wanted to buy another H9, but realized that the serial delay can be obtained only in the Strymon Timeline. H9 will be used as a compressor, Octaver and reverb and Timeline delay as.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.