TimeFactor Effect Volume

Home Forums Products Stompboxes TimeFactor Effect Volume

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Sarkohma

I got an Eventide TimeFactor for xmas and I'm futzing around with trying to make it and my Mesa dual recto play nice. I'm either encountering a volume drop (which is not the TF doing it, as I tested it in front of the amp) or the actual effect sound is very quiet and somewhat tinny (regardless of the preset). I've got it in the recto's (parallel wired) FX loop and I have the in/out on the TF both set to "Line" level. I've tried the KILLDRY option (which kills the dry part of the wet/dry knob on the TF) and set the mix on the recto to different levels (with and without the killdry) and I get a quiet effect no matter what. I've tried changing the in/out levels on the TF to no avail. I've messed with the send volume and return mix on the recto (the send unfortunately ramps the ENTIRE amp volume up; I'd prefer to not have to do this so I can have the same levels whether the FX loop is on or not) with no luck. My best result right now is to set the return mix to 100% effect and just use the dry/wet on the TF. Anyone have any ideas? I'm using 10ft shielded instrument cables to connect the TF to the FX loop. I've tired 3ft ones with the same results. I'm assuming I don't need speaker cables since it hasn't hit the power amp section yet. Should I try shorter cables? Give up and put it in front of the amp? RTFM again? Are the delay effects just that quiet? If so, is there some way I can boost them up?

achaput

Hello,

Have you tweaked the relationship between the amp's Send, Return, and Loop Active Master knobs? The Loop Active Master knob might be the missing link here. From the Mesa web site regarding the Loop Active Master knob:

"This knob of a different color, works in conjunction with the FX Loop Select Rotary Control that is found on the Rear Panel in the FX Loop section of the amplifier. When the Loop is switched out of Bypass the Yellow Loop LED next to this control comes on with the channel in which the loop is active. When this LED is illuminated the Loop Active Master replaces the Channel Masters to become the overall Master Volume Control. At this time the Channel Masters become channel balancing controls and Effects Loop Send Level Controls. This LOOP ACTIVE MASTER Control also serves as an effects Return Control and can be very useful when trying to use certain older effects with weak output capabilities."

goldglob

I don't know enough about all this to really help but one thing I'm pretty sure about is that digital devices sound horrible in parallel effects loops because the output of a digital device will almost certainly be out of phase with the straight through amp signal, and the resultant phase cancellation will give you that tinny (and often honky/nasal/ ugly mid-range sound). It's ironic that the argument for parallel is that you retain the pure sound of the guitar/amp, sure, with analog pedals, but these days most effects in the loop (delay/ modulation) will be digital. At least you have the option of a 100% wet (which amounts to a series loop); some idiotic amp manufactures still make amps with purely parallel loops and I'm getting tired of converting them.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.