Timefactor Expression Pedal values keep jumping around

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Timefactor Expression Pedal values keep jumping around

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      ajcamua

Hi. I've had my TImeFactor for about three weeks now, and I've done 3 trips to the music store to get my expression pedal changed. The values will not stay in place even if my foot is off the expression pedal. At first I thought I was using an incompatible exp pedal but so far I've used the Roland EV-5 (two different pedals, thinking the first one was broken) and the Boss FV500L. 

Does anyone know of any fix for this? Or am I better off just returning the thing? Here's a video taken a couple of minutes ago.

http://youtu.be/o0JTZedRbhw

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Sorry you are having trouble. Obviously they don't all do this – have you tried different cables ?

If the cable is good, and since you have tried different exp pedals, it would seem to be a hardware fault on the pedal input. You could send it in to us, but since you have only just got it, you would probably prefer to talk to your dealer about replacing it.

ajcamua

Thanks. I guess I'll have to at this point, since I know its not the cable for sure – having tried different ones already. Will give you a heads up how it turns out.

ajcamua

The music store called me yesterday after having returned the TimeFactor 3 days ago. The guy said he figured out the problem and that it was because I was using a TRS cable and should be using a mono cable to connect the expression pedal. Can you confirm this? I'm afraid I'll just waste two trips to get it and then have to return it again if it still doesn't work. Thanks.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Since he has it in front of him, he is probably right. For the record, the ring is not connected to in the TF socket, so it does not care whether you use a TS or TRS. It is possible that the pedal expects the ring to be connected to something – I'm at this moment looking at a Line6 pedal, which also has the ring unconnected, but others may be different.

My suggestion is that you get your unit back from the dealer and buy the cable from him.

bustedbarn

Nick,

I've tried out 2 other expression pedals too.  A moogerfooger 39 dollar expression pedal and a yamaha expression pedal.  both with trs connectors which don't work right.  No matter what the manual says it takes a TS connector (my experience).  I've had to cut the stereo plug and do trial and error till I got it to control the values on my time factor. 

The other problem I had is that you'd press down the pedal and nothing would happen for 2/3 of the way and then it would kick in.  I couldn't adjust the pedal to control the parameter utilizing the full toe to heel motion of the expression pedal.  This happened on both of them.

I have an ernie ball volume pedal now which has taken the place of the other expression pedals.  I hooked it up with a mono cable and works brilliantly. try it out.

ajcamua

Good to know – I did get my TF back from the store and they said that even thought the manual says TF can work with any exp pedal out there, ONLY the Ernie Ball VP 25K will work properly with it. After using 3 other pedals before, I'm a bit skeptical about it – I'm still waiting for my Ernie Ball VP in the mail, but its good to know about it here. Thanks.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

To quote from the FAQ on the Support page:

Which Expression Pedals are supported?
      Our
      Stompboxes will work with any Expression Pedal that is a simple
      resistive load (potentiometer) with a max value of 25kOhms. For the best
      performance we recommend the Ernie Ball VP Jr. 25k.
      Connect the Output to the Eventide Stompbox Expression Pedal Input. We
      have also had success with the M-Audio MGear EX.P Expression Pedal.

I use a Line6, others have used Roland (you may have to adjust its calibration knob), etc, etc.

Where people have problems is when they use high-impedance volume pedals. If you stick to the above you should be OK, but we cannot guarantee that it will work with any and all pedals, cos they may be weird or unusual.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Another thought – for anyone who can borrow and use an ohm meter, or knows someone who can.

Plug a mono guitar lead into the pedal. Measure the resistance across the unconnected end of the lead while operating the pedal. It should swing between 20-30K at one end and near zero at the other. If this is so, it will work nicely with our stomps.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.