Timefactor – How about that ole Rhythm Tap Function? …and more feature requests! [:D]

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Timefactor – How about that ole Rhythm Tap Function? …and more feature requests! [:D]

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      diegoarts

Hi everybody.

the Timefactor is my top delay No.1 since i bought it years ago! i think it kicks ass to most other delay units. especially floor units!

there ARE a few features i'm dreaming about would be absolutely overwhelming as a upgrade though!

1. i also got the D-Two from TCyouknowwho. and here are definitely two very very great features:

A. Rhythm Tap Feature: you may know it: you've got ten taps maximum to do a rhythmic pattern! very straight forward and a top feature in a delay pedal! think of grooving away with a delay pattern you just tapped right to a song/beat!
      Now Eventide – woudln't this be great in the timefactor. would this be possible?

B. I love PingPong-Delay. it's great, BUT – it would be much better, if one could choose different PingPong-Algorhythms here, like: left-right, left-center-right-center-left-etc., and some kind of pan-fade (delay signal fades from left to right (or right to left) over the whole feedback-cycle).
      don't know if that's possible too, but would be fantastic!

2. i've had this before and just wanted to check this again: a negative dynamic delay setting. meaning: delay signal is increased with louder dry signal, not decreased! so – quiet playing – no signal, loud playing – more signal! would be very useful and  give us a totally new approach!

thanks for listening/reading

best regards

diego

timothyhill

1.A. +1

1.B. +1 (my favorite of the three)

2. +1

Imerkat
      Participant

+1 That's what i thought the multiTap did before i bought it.

it would be over whelming as a upgrade.

SOOO…. i suggest doing TF software A and software B and sell it at the store 'cuz  they keep running out knobs to add functions lol I mean back before v3.0 i had the suggestion of adding a limiter to the feedback to get that "soup" at high levels. instead the software came with boost/cut feature which i don't use. I'm sure it's doable but it would mean radical changes on the presets base on that particular algorithm

NikosGuitar

Diego,i had never used to play with a Delay that have this functions.But if it's how i imagine it to be…from your explanation,so,i want them at the next update!

+1 from me

Nikos

guitarlesson

One problem I see with this idea, though a very cool idea indeed, is that the pedal would need to be able to hear what you tap and immediately associate that rhythm with a measure of time in order to know when to repeat that rhythm. For a human brain, this is second nature, and so it's natural that we might think it easy for a processor to do as well. For example, take the "Shave and a haircut" rhythm below:

Everyone knows this rhythm, and would loop it in their on minds like this:

But for a computer or effects processor to hear and repeat a rhythmic pattern, it must A.) know what a measure is, B. know where your taps line up with the measure, and C. know where to end the pattern. Without this understanding, the "Shave and a Haircut" rhythm might think it should be notated like so:

…and relatively speaking, the durations between the notes are the same as the correctly notated rhythm, so you can't fault the processor for the error. 

Worse still, since the Timefactor has no concept of "measures" as we think of them at all, it would very likely read your taps as random events within a duration of time.

Tap tempo is actually very simple. When you set a "dotted 8th" for your delay time, the Timefactor doesn't actually know what a dotted eight is. That's an illusion. It just knows something like "duration(x) = 0.75*interval(tapA, tapB)".

In other words, for a "Rhythm Tap" to work, you'd have to program in a whole level of pattern recognition that currently requires advanced computing and artificial intelligence.

But hey, the Eventide guys are very smart, and maybe they could work this out. It looks like a lot of work though.

guitarlesson

…UNLESS (Oh my gosh this is painfully simple) you were to HOLD the last tap to tell the Timefactor where the end of the measure is.

diegoarts

Great idea!

As this is not a live-feature but more a delay-structure-programing one, it could work this way:

dial in the feature (maybe hold tap button and dial the encoder – something like that – to get the rhythm feature).

the first tap is equivalent to the guitar strum, so the first delay is set with the second tap.

add rhythmic taps as you like up until a specified no of taps (tc took max. 10 taps) or total delay time of the whole pattern (may be 12 secs as the looper?!).

hold the last tap for 2 seconds.

finito!

add feature to either increase or decrease or leave at the same volume tap by tap!

that would be amazing!

cheers

diego

javiceres
      Participant

1A: + (Ain't that kinda bpm auto sync to audio in? A la Kaosspad)

2: +

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.