TimeFactor : Input/Output levels ?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes TimeFactor : Input/Output levels ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Mike Epsilon

Hello,

For years, as a guitar player, I used to put my TimeFactor in my amp effect loop, which works well.

Now, I’m trying to use the TimeFactor as an “insert” effect in my DAW. My PCI-soundcard has a hardware switch that can be set in one of the following settings (for 0 dBFS) :

• Analog input: +18 dBu ; +15 dBu ; +8 dBu ; -6 dBV
      • Analog output: +18 dBu ;  +8 dBu ; -6 dBV

Which settings shoud I choose on the soundcard for the best result ? And which corresponding settings shoud be set on the TimeFactor for the Input/Output levels : “guitar” or “line” ?

Thanks for your advices.

Mike

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

What model is your sound card?

Mike Epsilon

My soundcard is an old Marian Trace alpha : https://www.marian.de/en/products/trace_alpha

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

When using the TimeFactor as part of a recording setup, it's best to set the I/O to Line Level and use balanced connectors.  This Marian interface does not use standard +4 dBu, -10 dBV I/O settings so it will take some experimentation to get levels going into the TimeFactor set correctly. I would start out at +8 dBu and make sure that you're not distorting the input of the pedal and input of the interface when returning the signal. Basically, when you're sending signal from your DAW and it's peaking around -6 DBFS or so, you should hear the signal coming back from the TimeFactor without distortion. If it's too hot, -6 dBV on the Marian might be the way to go. In that case, switching the TimeFactor to "Gtr level" might work better to more closely match the voltage. In either case, pay attention to the noise floor during quieter sounds to ensure it's not too loud – a clear indication it's the wrong setting.

Mike Epsilon

I thank you for these advices. It wasn’t clear to me what the standards were.

noodle1
      Participant
      joecozzi wrote:

and use balanced connectors. 

Joe, I’ve never heard of this, perhaps I’m just unaware of how this stuff works. I always thought Factor/H9 stuff only used unbalanced connections? Wouldn’t balanced connections be putting a TRS cable into a TS slot, making R+S shorted together? Can you explain?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.