Timefactor is Glitching / Going Crazy – HELP!

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Timefactor is Glitching / Going Crazy – HELP!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      tj7

Here’s a quick video of what my Timefactor has started doing:

Help! I have no idea why my Timefactor is doing this. I have tried resetting it to factory specs, installin the latest firmware, resetting again, reinstalling again, resetting again, changing cables, drinking less coffee. I did not introduce any new elements to my chain. This problem began inexplicably and happens intermittently.  As such I can’t rely on it for shows.  It’s driving me nuts.  It’s now out of warranty.

I am very careful with my pedals, this unit has not been exposed to water, moisture, extreme heat, or violence.  I’ll admit that lately there has been harsh language directed at it.

I can’t find any postst relating to this problem, but obviously it’s a bit hard to search for as there is no universal term / tag to describe this problem.

Please, if anyone has had any experience with this, please let me know. 

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

There is an internal connector between the two circuit boards – looks like it is misbehaving.

If you are handy and so inclined, take the unit apart and wiggle the connector. Otherwise, return it to your dealer or Eventide.

tj7

Thanks @nickrose,

Is this connector going to be easy to identify?  Can you give me any specific info as to how it looks, or even better, is there a picture you can refer to?

I have only found the following image of the internal board via google image search:

http://www.sweepyto.net/Res/Galeries/554/Eventide_Timefactor_03.jpg

I would rather try sorting it myself if I can, as the unit is no longer in warranty as I have already mentioned.  Repairs will be costly and will take weeks.

captaincarotte
      Participant

I had the same problem. I took upon myself to open the unit and see what I could do about it (I’m normally utterly useless when it comes to fixing things). It turned up super easy to fix.

Here are some photos I took.

1. unscrew the back of the unit. I can’t remember the exact screwdriver I used, but make sure it fits tightly to the screws, because the screw threads give way very easily if forced. Set all the small pieces aside.

2. This is the unit without the back panel. Take a deep breath, because you now need to remove the printed circuit.

It’s probably the trickiest part. You have to levy the circuit (I used a small screwdriver to do this), but don’t pull it too much, because there are all manners of cables connecting it to the rest of the unit. What you see on the picture below is my trembling hand trying to remove the thing. Notice that you have to slide it upwards.

3. Now you have to reconnect the ribbon cable connecting the circuit and the rest of the unit. On the picture below, you can see that cable sitting idly at the bottom. I chose to disconnect it entirely and then reconnect it. Be gentle when you pull it away, the mirror thing next to it hides all the connectors to the knobs and you don’t want to move them too much. You can see the ribbon cable connector in the middle of the printed circuit.

Once it’s reconnected, simply put everything back together, and enjoy. It fixed my glitching pitchfactor, and now I use it live with no fear of bugs messing with my sound. The glitches disappeared for good.

Hope it helps!

captaincarotte wrote:

I had the same problem. I took upon myself to open the unit and see what I could do about it (I’m normally utterly useless when it comes to fixing things). It turned up super easy to fix.

Here are some photos I took.

1. unscrew the back of the unit. I can’t remember the exact screwdriver I used, but make sure it fits tightly to the screws, because the screw threads give way very easily if forced. Set all the small pieces aside.

2. This is the unit without the back panel. Take a deep breath, because you now need to remove the printed circuit.

It’s probably the trickiest part. You have to levy the circuit (I used a small screwdriver to do this), but don’t pull it too much, because there are all manners of cables connecting it to the rest of the unit. What you see on the picture below is my trembling hand trying to remove the thing. Notice that you have to slide it upwards.

3. Now you have to reconnect the ribbon cable connecting the circuit and the rest of the unit. On the picture below, you can see that cable sitting idly at the bottom. I chose to disconnect it entirely and then reconnect it. Be gentle when you pull it away, the mirror thing next to it hides all the connectors to the knobs and you don’t want to move them too much. You can see the ribbon cable connector in the middle of the printed circuit.

Once it’s reconnected, simply put everything back together, and enjoy. It fixed my glitching pitchfactor, and now I use it live with no fear of bugs messing with my sound. The glitches disappeared for good.

Hope it helps!

Followed those steps and worked fine,until I got home and my TF didn’t turn on. I think something is now screwed. I did everything as shown and said,the pedal worked perfectly here at my job,I closed the unit and tried again,working fine! But then I put it back on my pedalboard,then into its carrying bag (which is very comfy) and drove home with it and BOOOOOM! IT DOES NOT TURN ON ANYMORE.  

HELLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE 

P.S.: Sorry for the flood,I am desperate. 🙁

gkellum
        Participant
        victormartins wrote:

Followed those steps and worked fine,until I got home and my TF didn't turn on. I think something is now screwed. I did everything as shown and said,the pedal worked perfectly here at my job,I closed the unit and tried again,working fine! But then I put it back on my pedalboard,then into its carrying bag (which is very comfy) and drove home with it and BOOOOOM! IT DOES NOT TURN ON ANYMORE.  

Why don't you send an email to support@eventide.com?  It sounds like it would be best at this point for you to send your TimeFactor in to us to take a look at.

tj7

Thanks, @captaincarotte!

I’ll give this ago this weekend.  Much appreciated.  I will post my results….

tj7

Ok.  I opened it up and the first thing I noticed was that the connector is impossible to disconnect by hand.  I even put on some thick rubber grip gloves, gripped the edge of the connection with all of my might and only managed to budge it apart by less than a millimeter. That thing is not designed to come apart.  I have no idea how you managed it… I noted also when I gave up that the connection appeared slightly crooked, and of course I have no idea if it was like that before or after I tried to disconnect each end.  However, after making sure the connection was as tight as possible, really jamming those ends together, and closing the box up again, I have thus far had no further episodes of glitching.  Hopefully the problem is now solved…

eruption77
      Participant

TJ7, by chance what do you have your bypass mode set to?  Ever since I changed it to DSP+FX my Timefactor started doing that.  I couldn’t stop it, and if the pedal was engaged it omitted a high-pitch whine from my amp.

Once I changed the bypass mode back to DSP it’s been fine ever since.  I never had that problem before or after that change.

I came here about to start my own thread for this, then saw yours.  I hope someone from Eventide will chime in here…

Here’s my order of events:

Changed the bypass mode to DSP+FX, then that EXACT problem occurred.  I already had the newest firmware installed.  I forget the version number off hand, but suffice it to say I’m VERY good about keeping my Timefactor and Pitchfactor up to date.

I performed a full factory reset.  I have all my settings back up so this wasn’t a concern.  The pedal seemed fine–at first.  After a minute or two, it started glitching again.

Next, I did another reset, then I reinstalled the latest firmware.  The firmware installed fine, and I then re-copied all of my presets back to the Timefactor.  I thought it was fine until the next day when the glitching returned.

Finally, I tried changing the bypass mode back to just DSP, and I’ve not had a problem since, and it’s been 3 days.  Not a deal-breaker for me, as I don’t care all that much about the bypass mode as long as the pedal works.  

How long is the warranty on these?  I bought mine new from Sweetwater in May of 2014.  As long as the trouble doesn’t return I’m content with it.

Tj7, try changing your bypass mode and see if it helps.  It ‘fixed’ mine.

grappagreen

Just wanted to say thank for this advice. My TF glitching was solved after resetting the connector cable..

I purchased my timefactor from Guitar Center in Oct 2014. They ordered it and had it shipped to them just for me. Its awesome, but about a year into it , it started scrolling thru the parameters.  Not always, but frequently.  It seems like many people are having this same problem. I have changed from dsp, to relay, and dsp plus fx. Same issues. What is EVENTIDE DOING ABOUT THIS TO SATISFY THEIR CUSTOMERS???  These pedals are expensive, and clearly there is a flaw .    I LOVE THIS PEDAL!! I just want it to work correctly. I keep very good care of my gear, and Ive got vintage pedals from the early 70s that still work flawlessly.   Please respong Timefactor crew!!!!

gkellum
        Participant
        Joe Muffoletto wrote:

I purchased my timefactor from Guitar Center in Oct 2014. They ordered it and had it shipped to them just for me. Its awesome, but about a year into it , it started scrolling thru the parameters.  Not always, but frequently. 

As my colleague, Nick, mentioned above, "If you are handy and so inclined, take the unit apart and wiggle the connector. Otherwise, return it to your dealer or Eventide."  

As this particular problem is considered by Eventide to be a manufacturing defect, we don't charge for repairs for this problem although the customer is responsible for mailing their units to Eventide.  Please contact support@eventide.com if you would like to send your unit in.

Just recieved my recently fixed Timefactor, and WOW, its more incredible than I remember!!! Having it off my board for almost 3 weeks was a real eye opener!! No other delay compares to this one, imho. Thanks Eventide!!! 

LG
      Participant

My TimeFactor did the same. Sent it back to Eventide the first time and they were very kind waving the $100.00 fee. No complaints there. Good people and will stand behind their product. It has started doing it again but it is very infrequent. It doesn’t happen every time I power it up but when it goes my guitar sound goes completely awry. Sounds like a spaceship going off. I’ve just come off some big shows and have another next week, so let’s keep my fingers crossed that that doesn’t pay me an untimely visit.

I just RE-opened my TF and it’s back to life. Perfectly working. I have no idea of what and how happened,but seems like it was a short-circuit case.There was not a single piece of metal or anything to cause that,but that’s ok. I just hope that when I get home it does not stop working again and drive me crazy.

SO,THIS IS THE ADVICE: Make sure you did not let anything making contact with anything! HAHAHA Do not let anything make contact with any part of the main board,because I didn’t and mine wasn’t working as it was shorting (actually was,but I still don’t know what was causing it,so…).

Thank God my TimeFactor is functioning well (I guess,will check it out at home). Thank you guys,for all the help! Also,thanks to the Eventide crew for answering me by mail,even though it didn’t help me solving the not-working-and-seeming-dead problem haha  Your support and care for the customers and users are for real. Love you,guys! God Bless us all! 

I AM SO HAPPYYYYY MY TF IS WORKINNNNNNNNNN

I just closed the box and it’s still working correctly,I hope I’ll never need to open this pedal again,the possibility of losing it’s so scarying.

https://youtu.be/nnZEoemrzcs

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Timefactor is Glitching / Going Crazy – HELP!’ is closed to new replies.