TimeFactor MIDI Tap temp half what it should be??

Home Forums Products Stompboxes TimeFactor MIDI Tap temp half what it should be??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      badmelonfarmer
      Participant

Hi,

First things first, I am a MIDI noob, so please forgive me if I have missed something obvious! Geeked

Finally got around to setting up my beloved TimeFactor with MIDI and it is working fine mostly apart from one issue  where the tempo when tapped in via MIDI CC ends up being 50% of what it should be, odd.

The setup I have is a Rocktron MIDI-Mate plugged into a Axe-FX and I send tap tempo over MIDI channel 1 CC 9 and this works fine in setting the Axe-FX to the desired tempo.

I have now plugged in the TimeFactor into the THRU on the Axe-FX, and when I tap the tempo in on the MIDI-MATE it sets the Axe-FX correctly say 120BPM, but the TimeFactor is set to 60BPM. I tried a few times and it seems that what ever I tap in it is always half the tempo.

Is this something to do with MIDI Clock, where I have to set the MIDI source clock on one of the devices and then slave the rest off this one source?

Any help?

Cheers.

BMF

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

Should have mentioned I am running V3 beta. I have no idea if it did this with earlier software as I have never tried.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Hi BMF

Try connecting the Rocktron directly to the TF to see if it makes a difference …

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

Hi Nick,

I have tried the rocktron direct and it does exactly the same.

if I tap in a time on the TimeFactor at say 120bpm then repeat the tap on the Rocktron it then changes the TimeFactor to about 60bpm

I am sending MIDI CC9 from the Rocktron and have tried a different button on the rocktron sending MIDI CC8 (changed the TF RCV CTRL TAP to 8) and it did exactly the same.

Cheers

BMF

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

Ahhh!!

Reading the Rocktron MIDIMATE manual it seems that the buttons act like a latching switch so press it once and it is ON press it again and it is OFF

So first press sends CC9 with a value of "127', the second press sends CC9 with a value of "0"

So I guess the TimeFactor is only recognising the value of "127" and ignoring the "0"?

Would thins make sense?

Cheers

BMF

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

The TF should only respond to a MIDI  value greater than 64 for tap, so it is as you suspect.

You'll have to either find a way to reprogram it, or tap a lot faster …

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

nickrose:

The TF should only respond to a MIDI  value greater than 64 for tap, so it is as you suspect.

You'll have to either find a way to reprogram it, or tap a lot faster …

Rocktron said it can not be changed on the MIDI-Mate.

Any chance of an option on the TimeFactor to accept any value rather than any above 64??

Cheers

BMF

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

CTC in another thread made a good point that this trigger only happening with values over 64 affecting the looper, hold function etc where you have to press the buttons twice for a single function.

So serious question, can you please put in an option to accept ANY value to get around this problem as it will affect a lot of people trying to do this kind of thing.

Cheers

BMF

ctc

Why is there a 64 value floor on tap tempo?

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

It's not just the tap tempo, it is the "HOLD" function for freezing the delays too, so I guess it is all of the functions too.

I have been looking around for other options and from what I can see it is going to be the same issue on most of the MIDI controllers. (at least in the lower to mid price range)

So I am hoping we can convince Eventide to change the behaviour or at least make it configurable. 

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

Gonna sell the the MidiMate

Picked up a Ground Control Pro, so hopefully I can finally get my rig to work properly . YAY

sjoplin

Good call on getting the Ground Control Setup.  When you get it, make sure you have the switches setup properly either latch or momentary.  If the issue was always half or double of what you were expecting, I bet it was the type of switch being used to send the tap information to the factor pedal.  I had to play with it a bit to get mine dialed in, but works great.

ctc

badmelonfarmer:

Gonna sell the the MidiMate

Picked up a Ground Control Pro, so hopefully I can finally get my rig to work properly . YAY

Good move. Let us know how it goes. I too was looing at the GCP, but I would like 6 more IA switches.

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

thanks, yeah I will do, but it will be a while as I have bought it from the US and will not be picking it up until the end of Feb.

It was significantly cheaper to do it this way, will make do with the MIDIMate until then.

I know what you mean about the IA switches, it would have been nice if you had a bit more control over the numbers of IA buttons.

Cheers

BMF

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

literally got the Ground Control Pro home today from the US, hooked it up and programmed it….

works fine as you would hope ie the tempo is correct and the "Repeat" function works with a single on/off press … you can set on of the Instant Access switches to the feature you want and then set the switch as a momentary latching as opposed to latching… bingo!!!

tried a few mappings and all seems good.

Only had an hour to play.

Must say I am very impressed with the Ground Control Pro, it is surprisingly easy to set up and program.

Finally VERY happy … now to program the names patch mappings etc.

Much better / easier than the Rocktron MIDIMate. 

guitarlesson

This saddens me. My MidiMate has served me well for many years. Looks like it's time to visit eBay.

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

do you have another MIDI device that you can set the tap tempo on and then sync the TimeFactor to that??

I had hoped to be able to do that with my Axe-FX but it does not have MIDI clock out…DOH.

Must also say I find the Ground Control Pro a MUCH easier box to program than the MIDIMATE….much more intuitive, so glad I made the jump. 

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.