Timefactor MIDI XMT question

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Timefactor MIDI XMT question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      MaxFX

I'm reading up on the MIDI XMT function and not really getting a good grasp on what it does or what I I can do with it.  Is anyone willing to give a simple explanation?  I understand the THRU part, it's passing all midi messages up the chain and through/THRU the Timefactor.  In fact, this is at the heart of my line of questioning.  I'm trying to figure out if I can XMT or allow pc midi messages THRU but not cc. 

I have a  Behringer FCB1010 foot controller.  I want to send pc messages to my amp through the Eventide. I also want my FCB1010 expression pedal cc messages to work with the timefactor but not pass through to the amplifier.  Is there any way to use XMT to send a PC message without CC going THRU?

brock
      Participant

My suggestion:

Set the Behringer switch program change (one of 5 per-switch) to the same MIDI channel as your amplifier.  For example, FCB-1010 sending, & your amplifier receiving, on MIDI Channel 1.

Program your FCB-1010 expression pedals and set the TimeFactor to another MIDI Channel.  For example, the FCB-1010 pedals sending, and the TimeFactor receiving, on MIDI Channel 2.

Leave the TimeFactor OUTPUT = THRU.  While the CC messages will still pass through the 'Factor pedal, your amplifier won't "see" them.  The FCB-1010 MIDI Channel programming happens under Global Configuration.

I hope that I'm understanding your routing chain.  If you're using the TimeFactor as a master MIDI Clock, you may have to place it before the FCB-1010, and set the pedalboard to MIDI Merge option [Global Configuration – Config page].

MaxFX

Thank you for the suggestion but unfortunately my amplifier receives in OMNI. 
      I've posed this question previously.  Since there have been two Timefactor system updates since the last time I asked and there are still a few functions I was unfamiliar with I thought maybe there would be a workaround by now.  So, I am assuming the MIDI XMT function doesn't transmit certain messages and filter others out?  I've reread the manual too many times and I'm still not getting a grasp of what the transmit function does, how it works and what it can affect.  The manual assumes a certain amount of prior knowledge with regards to midi functionality.  Unfortunately every manual I have pertaining to a piece of midi equipment assumes this basic knowledge.  I have been able to piece together what PC and CC are over time thanks to the internet and I understand the THRU function but XMT is somewhat elusive.

brock
      Participant
      Quote:
      unfortunately my amplifier receives in OMNI.

I was afraid of that.  Omni is functional for basic situations, but not very useful when there's any kind of complexity introduced.  I don't see a way around your situation without adding another piece of hardware (to filter or redirect the PCs or CCs).  You'll drop another $140-160 on adding an 'event processor'.

Quote:
      the MIDI XMT function doesn't transmit certain messages and filter others out?

To be honest, I rarely use XMT.  But I do see that option as an all-or-none proposition.  Either you transmit MIDI data from the pedal, or the pedal reacts to (and passes through) all MIDI data coming in.  Now, you can disable just the PC or the CC transmission [in XMT mode], but that's not going to help you with what's coming in to the pedal from the FCB-1010.

This is a tough one.  If a solution comes to me, I'l be sure to reply back.  I don't suppose that your amp provides a MIDI Out/Thru jack (admittedly, a long shot here)?  Listing the specific amp model might help.

MaxFX

Thank you for your thoughts on the matter I appreciate your time and input. 

The amplifier is a Brunetti 059, no midi out or through just an input. 

When I originally asked this question more than a year ago It was seeming pretty hopeless.  My options were a Midi Solutions event processor (which requires a pc to edit – I use OS X or Linux and don't own a pc) or new midi chips from Brunetti which would set me back $150 + shipping from Italy.  No matter how I look at it I'm going to have to spend $150 if I want to use a midi expression pedal with the Eventide Timefactor and the Brunetti. 

Balls!!!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.